Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info on Goosebox replacement Reese or Gen Y or any other good options and solar upgrade costs questions

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Don’t move to Washington! I’ve lived here my whole life and it’s getting unbearable. My entire family moved to Texas this last year to get away from the crap. I’m stuck here with my job but hope to transfer within my company in the next few years. It is so expensive to live here. Our house has tripled in price since we bought 8 years ago and my salary has not.
Don't worry about me moving to Washington, I'm only going out for a wedding and then getting the H out. I grew up in Oregon and it's unrecognizable as to when I grew up in the 80's 90's or 2000's. The homeless, Californians that moved there and the extra traffic ruined the NW and made it impossible to afford a house out there anymore. In Oregon they have not built a new HWY since 1979 I believe was I-205 and the traffic is horrible to get around in PDX,

Last edited:

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Don't worry about me moving to Washington, I'm only going out for a wedding and then getting the H out. I grew up in Oregon and it's unrecognizable as to when I grew up in the 80's 90's or 2000's. The homeless, California's and traffic ruined the NW and made it impossible to afford a house out there anymore. In Oregon they have not built a new HWY since 1979 I believe was I-205 and the traffic is horrible to get around in PDX,
It’s about the same here. I’d like to go to Montana but my best bet is ending up in AZ for work. I’m ready to go. So many people, nowhere to put in additional freeways and nowhere to go. Seattle is overrun with homeless (drug addict type not hard times) and whole bunch of crazy social programs to redistribute wealth and save the orcas that don’t need saving. Our fearless (idiot) governed is pushing to ban the sale of fossil fuel burning cars by 2030. I’ll need to be gone by the at a minimum but hopefully sooner

sanda

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input from you guys, I have started looking at bumper pulls as well. I have been looking at the Keystone Cougar and Outback models as this trailer when only be temporary for me while move around looking for a place to buy. Any input if these are good for long hauls as I will be going from Wisconsin to Washington with whatever I get.
I bought a keystone cougar new in 2017. So far a great lightweight trailer with close to 50k miles. Nothing major has went wrong but expect small stuff like loose screws, trim, etc. easily fixed. Keep in mind you will be pulling a 'house' down the road. This trailer is built far better than the light weight Jaycos I have owned over the years. As far as solar prep., on mine it is a simple 12v connection tied into the batteries. No big deal as you can easily install one.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I bought a keystone cougar new in 2017. So far a great lightweight trailer with close to 50k miles. Nothing major has went wrong but expect small stuff like loose screws, trim, etc. easily fixed. Keep in mind you will be pulling a 'house' down the road. This trailer is built far better than the light weight Jaycos I have owned over the years. As far as solar prep., on mine it is a simple 12v connection tied into the batteries. No big deal as you can easily install one.
I think I might have it narrowed down to 2 models, 2022 Keystone RV Bullet 243BHSWE TT with 400I solar package installed already and 2022 Keystone Sprinter 25ML 5th wheel with Solar flex 200 that I would upgrade to the 400I Solar package and maybe pickup a Honda EU2200i as backup. The only thing I don't like about the Bullet 243BHSWE TT is it has a dinette only no reclining chairs but I have thought I might be able to wedge in my Lazy boy recliner in there somehow if room permits.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
It’s about the same here. I’d like to go to Montana but my best bet is ending up in AZ for work. I’m ready to go. So many people, nowhere to put in additional freeways and nowhere to go. Seattle is overrun with homeless (drug addict type not hard times) and whole bunch of crazy social programs to redistribute wealth and save the orcas that don’t need saving. Our fearless (idiot) governed is pushing to ban the sale of fossil fuel burning cars by 2030. I’ll need to be gone by the at a minimum but hopefully sooner
I have been looking at Montana as well as I would not pay property tax in that state along with Texas and a few others

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Here is my theory, both the Gen-y hitch and reese goose box will preform fine without hurting the trailer frame they are not applying any different force than a standard pin box would apply

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Here is my theory, both the Gen-y hitch and reese goose box will preform fine without hurting the trailer frame they are not applying any different force than a standard pin box would apply
@H3LZSN1P3R, thanks for your input as I would rather not have the B&W companion 150# boat anchor in my bed needing to be removed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
@H3LZSN1P3R, thanks for your input as I would rather not have the B&W companion 150# boat anchor in my bed needing to be removed.
Yea thats one benefit to the goose ball setup my air ride hitch is 270lbs plus the 85lbs puck adapter it can be a pain especially since i have a 5th wheel dump trailer so i have to keep the hitch in for towing that often

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Yea thats one benefit to the goose ball setup my air ride hitch is 270lbs plus the 85lbs puck adapter it can be a pain especially since i have a 5th wheel dump trailer so i have to keep the hitch in for towing that often
I have had bilateral shoulder replacements due to my military service and cannot lift a B&W companion out of the bed. That's why I was looking at the Gen Y Executive gooseneck model as a replacement and not having a 5th wheel hitch in the bed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have had bilateral shoulder replacements due to my military service and cannot lift a B&W companion out of the bed. That's why I was looking at the Gen Y Executive gooseneck model as a replacement and not having a 5th wheel hitch in the bed.
I just keep mine on the pin of the trailer and lift it out with the trailer jacks but i know what you mean

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Bad news is. Half the state is Californians. The other half is washingtonians now. With a pocket of new yorkers. The locals can't afford to buy here. My kids will probably have to leave as adults

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Bad news is. Half the state is Californians. The other half is washingtonians now. With a pocket of new yorkers. The locals can't afford to buy here. My kids will probably have to leave as adults
Very true. The amount of californians is crazy. It'd be fine but they all vote the way they did down there and are making this place worse than Cali.

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
I think I might have it narrowed down to 2 models, 2022 Keystone RV Bullet 243BHSWE TT with 400I solar package installed already and 2022 Keystone Sprinter 25ML 5th wheel with Solar flex 200 that I would upgrade to the 400I Solar package and maybe pickup a Honda EU2200i as backup. The only thing I don't like about the Bullet 243BHSWE TT is it has a dinette only no reclining chairs but I have thought I might be able to wedge in my Lazy boy recliner in there somehow if room permits.
Don't forget to look at Nash and Arctic Fox. Much better than anything made in Indiana.

Svend02703

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a 5th wheel to travel and find where I might want to retire at, I have a 2022 3500 CCSB with the 5th wheel prep and have already changed out the OEM center section for the B&W turnover. My question for you 5th wheel guys what would be the better Goosebox swap either the Reese or the Gen Y or any other options that are good so I could utilize the 4" offset ball.

I have been looking at the KZ Sportsman and Keystone Fuzion models as of late and any reviews of these quality, maintenance, or issues would be appreciated. Anyone know what the cost to upgrade the Solarflex from the factory 200 to 400I or 600I-L or 1200 I-L on the Fuzion as they don't offer that online or the solar option on the KZ as they are solar prepped.

Any info would be grateful, thanks in advance. The only thing that has me hesitant is who knows what fuel prices are going to go to.
lBuyer Beware! First - The Reese pinbox came without installation hardware or directions. The hardware took a month for them to replace and again came without directions.
Second - The Reese pinbox DOES NOT have the air valve as pictured on the websites. When I called I was told it was due to a parts shortage and the person I spoke to at Reese even told me that the new set-up was a dumb design. I TOTALLY AGEE! Send me the part!
To inflate one person has to literally crawl under the pinbox, while hitched to the 5th wheel, to inflate while another watches the bar. Not easy for a 60+ year old fat man! The valve faces OPPOSITE the side where the inflation bar is located! Plus, the valve is so close to the wall of the box (picture) you cannot install an extension hose. Just Dumb.
After follow ups with eTrailer, I were basically informed by Hannah that I have to live with it. Either that, or I could pay to ship it back. Mean while, both Reese & eTrailer are selling parts that are not as shown on the website.
There is now a Gen 3 with a redesigned air valve, but they are shipping out leftover Gen 2's with missing parts. NO - NOT HAPPY

20221120_123751.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
lBuyer Beware! First - The Reese pinbox came without installation hardware or directions. The hardware took a month for them to replace and again came without directions.
Second - The Reese pinbox DOES NOT have the air valve as pictured on the websites. When I called I was told it was due to a parts shortage and the person I spoke to at Reese even told me that the new set-up was a dumb design. I TOTALLY AGEE! Send me the part!
To inflate one person has to literally crawl under the pinbox, while hitched to the 5th wheel, to inflate while another watches the bar. Not easy for a 60+ year old fat man! The valve faces OPPOSITE the side where the inflation bar is located! Plus, the valve is so close to the wall of the box (picture) you cannot install an extension hose. Just Dumb.
After follow ups with eTrailer, I were basically informed by Hannah that I have to live with it. Either that, or I could pay to ship it back. Mean while, both Reese & eTrailer are selling parts that are not as shown on the website.
There is now a Gen 3 with a redesigned air valve, but they are shipping out leftover Gen 2's with missing parts. NO - NOT HAPPY

View attachment 48866
That sounds like my experience with almost everything i have bought from reese over the last 30 years

RichM752

Reaction score
Hmmmmm. I bought the Reese Goosebox from Etrailer. Free shipping, and included instructions, plates, and air valve is current. This was in August.

GBB

Reaction score
Hmmmmm. I bought the Reese Goosebox from Etrailer. Free shipping, and included instructions, plates, and air valve is current. This was in August.
Free shipping only in the lower 48

Users who are viewing this thread