Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypothetical question about U5 8.4" Nav to U5 12" conversion

Reaction score
The integrated center stack is your current radio bezel with all of the physical controls. When you install a 12” screen, those won’t be plugged in anymore, so you have to tell the BCM they’re not there. If this doesn’t get changed, the two knobs on the 12” screen won’t work.
Since you mention the plug, I assume this is for the Hasard and ESC light switch on the 8.4 which is not used on the 12", as it comes through CAN, how about swapping a 12" back to a 8.4" nav? Where would the wires for the hazard lights and ESC button come from? BCM? Is it possible to downgrade a 12" to the 8.4" NAV? I just like the physical buttons better for teh heated seats, etc. ;)

Wheelz

Reaction score
I recently completed this upgrade. With the part number given for the radio module, it is a Navigation unit (I thought it wasnt). I didnt have navigation before now I do. I thought you had to have a gps antenna for it. All of my vehicles telemetrics are still working (ie, remote start, lock, unlock, vehicle location). I also was able to transfer my sirius subscription over. With the 12.1 I also noticed I have the "offroad suspension" views now (tilt, slope degress) The gauge views in that screen, my oil pressure is not working. But I can see that in my EVIC screen. Also, my traction control button doesnt work. Other than that, its working fine. I also was able to upgrad the software and maps.

Reaction score
I recently completed this upgrade. With the part number given for the radio module, it is a Navigation unit (I thought it wasnt). I didnt have navigation before now I do. I thought you had to have a gps antenna for it. All of my vehicles telemetrics are still working (ie, remote start, lock, unlock, vehicle location). I also was able to transfer my sirius subscription over. With the 12.1 I also noticed I have the "offroad suspension" views now (tilt, slope degress) The gauge views in that screen, my oil pressure is not working. But I can see that in my EVIC screen. Also, my traction control button doesnt work. Other than that, its working fine. I also was able to upgrad the software and maps.
Check your hazard light switch too, I belive that does not work either as the 12" gets the signals via CAN. The 8.4" hardwired. You need to change that with AlfaOBD.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Also, my traction control button doesnt work.
Did you make sure to disable Cabin Net: ICS Integrated Center Stack? This tells the BCM that the separate center stack switches are no longer present, and to use the switches on the display screen.

Wheelz

Reaction score
Did you make sure to disable Cabin Net: ICS Integrated Center Stack? This tells the BCM that the separate center stack switches are no longer present, and to use the switches on the display screen.
Yes..it's disabled. The Hazard Button works. I'll re-check it when I'm near my truck again.
Also, In my previous pictures, what is the pink connector (that's not populated ) for on the radio module?

Reaction score
@Jimmy07 , if you have a 12" screen, so the hazard and traction buttons run through the screen, but you´d like to "downgrade" to a 8.4" NAV, Cabin Net: ICS Integrated Center Stack would have to be enabled again, correct? Since the connector for the hard wired hazard and traction switches are not present, where would they come from? Are there dedicated pins on the BCM? So pinning the correct BCM outputs and getting the correct connector would make it possible to add a 8.4" into a 12" truck?

Or is my thinking completely off?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
@Jimmy07 , if you have a 12" screen, so the hazard and traction buttons run through the screen, but you´d like to "downgrade" to a 8.4" NAV, Cabin Net: ICS Integrated Center Stack would have to be enabled again, correct? Since the connector for the hard wired hazard and traction switches are not present, where would they come from? Are there dedicated pins on the BCM? So pinning the correct BCM outputs and getting the correct connector would make it possible to add a 8.4" into a 12" truck?

Or is my thinking completely off?
ICS gets enabled. Nothing needs to be done with the wiring at the BCM, but you would need a custom adapter harness for the screen and center stack when going from 12” to 8.4”.

Reaction score
ICS gets enabled. Nothing needs to be done with the wiring at the BCM, but you would need a custom adapter harness for the screen and center stack when going from 12” to 8.4”.
Thanks very much for the input. Where do the hazard wires and traction control wires come from originally if the truck has an 8.4" screen?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the input. Where do the hazard wires and traction control wires come from originally if the truck has an 8.4" screen?
Power, ground, can c, and hazard switch sense wires that are already in the connector that’s plugged into the 12” display screen. They are just rearranged differently in the connector that plugs into the 8.4” center stack.

Reaction score
Power, ground, can c, and hazard switch sense wires that are already in the connector that’s plugged into the 12” display screen. They are just rearranged differently in the connector that plugs into the 8.4” center stack.
oh, so if I de-pin the 12" connector and repin an 8.4 connector, I should be able to swap the 12" for a 8.4"? If it is that "simple" then that makes me very happy! ;) Thank you!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
oh, so if I de-pin the 12" connector and repin an 8.4 connector, I should be able to swap the 12" for a 8.4"? If it is that "simple" then that makes me very happy! ;) Thank you!
The connectors are keyed differently. Also depends if the 8.4 is nav or non-nav.

Users who are viewing this thread