Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypothetical question about U5 8.4" Nav to U5 12" conversion

amauri

Reaction score
I'm considering replacing my 2022 Uconnect-5 8.4" Nav with a used 2022 U-5 12" screen.
Tried searching here and the web but have not been able to find the info I need to make a decision.

I see bits of info here and there, on one of the threads I found Jimmy07 stated:
"UC5 12” and 8.4” WITH NAV use the same radio module, so same software"
That statement makes me think it may be relatively easy.

Questions I have are:
1- if I find a used 2022 12" unit and I have the VIN it came off of, how would I get the unlock code?
2- do I even need the unlock code if I use my original radio module swapped over to the 12" screen?
3- is there a difference from a 12" unit that came off a 17 speaker system compared to one that came off a 9-speaker?
4- would I be able to use AlpfaOBD to configure whatever would need to be configured?
5- if I install it and everything works, what about future OTA software updates?

I'm sure others have considered or even completed such an upgrade, I don't have the $$ to pay a pro to do it for me and everything hinges on finding a good used doner 12" screen.

Would really appreciate it if Jimmy07 could chime in with his wisdom, though I'm sure he's got a lot of more important things to deal with.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
In your situation, the only thing you need to do is swap out the screen and center dash screen bezel. You would need screen part number 68526609AB, but 68526611AB will also work.
It would be a direct plug n play swap out, with no need to do anything with AlfaOBD, VIN, radio unlock code, or your existing radio module. You would still receive OTA updates.

tkabrick

Reaction score
In your situation, the only thing you need to do is swap out the screen and center dash screen bezel. You would need screen part number 68526609AB, but 68526611AB will also work.
It would be a direct plug n play swap out, with no need to do anything with AlfaOBD, VIN, radio unlock code, or your existing radio module. You would still receive OTA updates.
I'm looking to do the same, already ordered the bezel and screen. Just want to confirm there's nothing else that's needed like a harness or anything? Literally just plug in the new screen and good to go?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I'm looking to do the same, already ordered the bezel and screen. Just want to confirm there's nothing else that's needed like a harness or anything? Literally just plug in the new screen and good to go?
Minor correction on what I said- you will need to use AlfaOBD to change cabin Net: ICS Integrated Center Stack to “not enabled”.
Other than that, that’s it. No wiring or anything.

tkabrick

Reaction score
Minor correction on what I said- you will need to use AlfaOBD to change cabin Net: ICS Integrated Center Stack to “not enabled”.
Great, thanks!

tkabrick

Reaction score
Curiosity question while I wait for the parts to be delivered today. What does changing ICS Integrated Center Stack to not enabled do and why is that required?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Curiosity question while I wait for the parts to be delivered today. What does changing ICS Integrated Center Stack to not enabled do and why is that required?
The integrated center stack is your current radio bezel with all of the physical controls. When you install a 12” screen, those won’t be plugged in anymore, so you have to tell the BCM they’re not there. If this doesn’t get changed, the two knobs on the 12” screen won’t work.

tkabrick

Reaction score
The integrated center stack is your current radio bezel with all of the physical controls. When you install a 12” screen, those won’t be plugged in anymore, so you have to tell the BCM they’re not there. If this doesn’t get changed, the two knobs on the 12” screen won’t work.
Got it, thanks for the explanation!

ramrod88

Reaction score
Did you end up getting a used radio or new? If used, was there anything needed to be done over going with a new one. Thanks

tkabrick

Reaction score
Did you end up getting a used radio or new? If used, was there anything needed to be done over going with a new one. Thanks
I had the 8.4 with NAV so didn't need to replace the radio module. I just replaced the screen with a new one

amauri

Reaction score
I had the 8.4 with NAV so didn't need to replace the radio module. I just replaced the screen with a new one
if possible, would you please tell me what p/n bezel trim you ordered for the 12" screen?

tkabrick

Reaction score
if possible, would you please tell me what p/n bezel trim you ordered for the 12" screen?
Sure, part number 6EZ155X9AE. I have a Night Edition so this bezel is the dark bezel with carbon fiber accent on top

amauri

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I need to find the correct p/n 12" screen bezel for 22 Laramie without Night Edition.

Wheelz

Reaction score
like most of you..i've been waiting to source all the parts to go from an 8.4 non-nav to 12.1 screen and the hardest part was the module. You couldnt order it.
Anyhow, I found an Ebay seller that has the modules. He put together a 12.1 screen, bezel (w/aux switches) and a new radio module (he doesnt list them on his storefront, just ask for it) So if you looking for parts hit this guy up on Ebay. search for seller: tturnas

Last edited:

amauri

Reaction score
Thanks for the link.
I just competed the DRVM and Tow-Mode Camera upgrade and am still on the fence about moving up to a 12" screen.
My UC5 8.4 Nav display has been perfect so far, no issues whatsoever.

Wheelz

Reaction score
Nice, you didnt happen to do a write-up did you? Or is there a link on the forums for this? I would like some camera views when I'm pulling my gooseneck.

amauri

Reaction score
Here's a link to a thread with most of the info you need.
It starts off discussing the possibility of retrofitting a 2019 truck, and eventually goes into details for the 2022 trucks. I posted how I did it on the last couple of pages.

Knowing what parts to order was tricky, and I spent a lot of time searching & reading here to figure out what I needed.

Wheelz

Reaction score
Here are the a pictures of the unicorn radio module (Non-nav), screen and bezel . I'm upgrading my 3500. I'm planning to do the Aux switches in the future and went ahead and ordered the switch bank. Since I have the heated seats and seat fans, I'll see if I can control that now on the screen if possible.

Attachments

• 20230114_151710.jpg
    20230114_151710.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230114_151756.jpg
    20230114_151756.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230114_151334.jpg
    20230114_151334.jpg
    776.1 KB · Views: 23

Users who are viewing this thread