Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunting thread

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
One week away and hunting seasons begin again in Texas starting with Dove season. I'm ready.

View attachment 61690

Going Dove hunting Wed, season opens Sep 1.

We have access to private ranches/farms to kill Eurasian Doves while we're scouting where the Morning Doves are hanging out..

Blythkd1

Reaction score
There was a mention yesterday of deer season being almost here. Just a couple days removed from 120 degree heat index, we all agreed it was tough to even talk about. We've cooled off a few degrees but heat indices are still 100+. I'll probably just wait for the rut. November is usually very nice around here.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s way too hot to be hunting.

One of the main reasons I don’t hunt the archery season is the heat.

GBB

Reaction score
Mid 50’s here…hoping it will cool down a little more, be leaving on the 10th for moose camp

ppine

Reaction score
"Its fall and that means its time to kill something." That was my motto from the third grade. Now I am older and have heart problems. The easy to get tags in Nevada are for units that are high and really steep which is not so good for heart patients. I quit about age 70. Enjoy it while you can fellas.

I still love to get out in the fall. Now I mostly look at forests.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Buttholes already at Dove camp drunk dialed me today. LOL
Just hit me, there's a such thing as dove camp? LOL

I've heard of deer camp, elk camp, etc. but never dove camp.

And btw, I just drunk quoted ya! LMAO Some old friends showed up tonight and we had a couple beers, then some red wine, then nightcapped it with a little tour of good bourbons.

It's all good! Dove camp? I'm in!

Alligator John

Reaction score
You would think it a bit warm in Texas to be thinking about Archery season. It is going to be 101 tomorrow where I hunt, but I have a bachelor group of bucks walking under one my stands every evening with some nice ones in it so I will be out there for the opener in about a week. Hoping I can get one of them before they split up and turn nocturnal on me. My new Power Wagon still don't have any "Texas Pin Stripes" yet. I spent about three days with a chainsaw opening up all my roads on the hunting grounds.
Here is one of the nicer ones, but there are a couple in the group I don't have good pictures of that I think are bigger. That is my tripod and log ground blind on the bluff in the background.

20230819_212147.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just hit me, there's a such thing as dove camp? LOL

I've heard of deer camp, elk camp, etc. but never dove camp.

And btw, I just drunk quoted ya! LMAO Some old friends showed up tonight and we had a couple beers, then some red wine, then nightcapped it with a little tour of good bourbons.

It's all good! Dove camp? I'm in!

1695364703549.jpeg

ppine

Reaction score
Good moose around 65 inches maybe.
I bought a mule from a guy some years ago that had just come back from a hunt in BC. He gave me some fresh meat. I made a big pot of moose chili in a Dutch Oven over a fire and used a recipe that won the Oklahoma State Fair. People still mention that chili after 15 years.
When I lived in Wyoming somebody always had a moose. It is the best meat there is. Elk and buffalo are close seconds.

GBB

Reaction score
Good moose around 65 inches maybe.
I bought a mule from a guy some years ago that had just come back from a hunt in BC. He gave me some fresh meat. I made a big pot of moose chili in a Dutch Oven over a fire and used a recipe that won the Oklahoma State Fair. People still mention that chili after 15 years.
When I lived in Wyoming somebody always had a moose. It is the best meat there is. Elk and buffalo are close seconds.
69” my SIL took a 68” on same trip. Yeah lots of work both were bout 1/4 mile pack. Moose is our main staple . I’ll buy a ribeye once in awhile for grilling.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Last weekend in SC Iowa. A little slow and we had to work for them but it's a 50 year tradition started by my dad so it's tough not to do it. We had a good time with friends. That's worth more than the rest of it.

4247746066319972489.jpg

Jacob

Reaction score
20231102_154410.jpg
20231029_130821.jpg
Had a good time in Colorado 2nd rifle. Saw a few bulls but couldn't get close enough. It's like they know they know how to not get shot. I think we did ok for Texicans.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
20231111_082059.jpg
20231114_081638.jpg

20231111_161037.jpg
Nothing but long distance views. Not sure if these represent all 3 large herds as I'm on the phone, but the smallest was 60 head, another 200, and a 3rd 400-500 animals.

Landlocked on private lands or no access BLM and state trust lands.

Closest we've gotten is 2000 yds.

One area is an outfitter private ranch surrounding blm and those corksoakers are illegally wrangling the herd and getting away with it.

Users who are viewing this thread