Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How useful do you find the Towing Tech Group?

jm888

Reaction score
I am just wondering how useful you find the stuff in this package. I guess it depends on which route I go because in a Laramie, it is only like $800 but in a Big Horn, it is $2200, which then might make it worth it to just upgrade to a Laramie.

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
5th wheel or gooseneck hookup quantity might help sway your decision. I own a gooseneck without the ttg and admit I don't tow that trailer often but the camera would prob save me at least 2 "get out check"'s

jm888

Reaction score
I would only be pulling a bumper pull. I guess I am not realizing how the mirror mount cameras would be useful. Wouldn't they just show the same thing you would see looking in the mirrors?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I would only be pulling a bumper pull. I guess I am not realizing how the mirror mount cameras would be useful. Wouldn't they just show the same thing you would see looking in the mirrors?
They show you downward view it would have been nice to have where i had to jamb a 5th wheel this weekend

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
The mirror cameras are also very useful if you go 4 wheeling and have to pull in the mirrors due to width.

Frank

Reaction score
I found them disorienting. I also found it awkward to stop what I was doing to pan them left and right to see what the mirrors already show. But I don't like any cameras for towing, nit even rear view.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I found them disorienting. I also found it awkward to stop what I was doing to pan them left and right to see what the mirrors already show. But I don't like any cameras for towing, nit even rear view.
See they could be handy in some scenarios like where i had to jackknife a camper into someones back yard this weekend i had low stuff by the sides of the truck i could not see and had to be careful not to hit

Frank

Reaction score
See they could be handy in some scenarios like where i had to jackknife a camper into someones back yard this weekend i had low stuff by the sides of the truck i could not see and had to be careful not to hit
I'll have to take a second look. I like the mirrors aiming down in reverse, I take it the camera will display further forward then mirrors?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'll have to take a second look. I like the mirrors aiming down in reverse, I take it the camera will display further forward then mirrors?
Im not sure it is more of an assumption but even with mirrors facing down you cant see for the front end swing.... if you dont mind showing what kind of field of view it has that would be awesome

jm888

Reaction score
Would the front park assist feature help at all in warning you if you are about to hit something from the front end swinging out too far, or is the more centered on the straight on front end of the truck rather than the front corners?

r440

Reaction score
Would the front park assist feature help at all in warning you if you are about to hit something from the front end swinging out too far, or is the more centered on the straight on front end of the truck rather than the front corners?
it should , my Ram 2019 1500 does

Bigb10b

Reaction score
The only thing I don’t like about the towing tech package is the black and white lines around the truck on the Birdseye view. Wish I could get rid of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank

Reaction score

I wouldn't use the sensors to navigate the truck. They are going off in the red zone with plenty of space left to maneuver and they don't tell you where the obstacle is with much accuracy. And they won't pick up when you are making a tight turn and the front wheel or quarter panel is about to hit something in the periphery.

jm888

Reaction score
So can anyone verify if you can see the front of the truck, or the front corners of the truck in any of the cameras?

lgarrison34

Reaction score
So can anyone verify if you can see the front of the truck, or the front corners of the truck in any of the cameras?

The overhead 360 view is what I use mostly to tell where the front corners are in tight spaces.

Frank

Reaction score
The only thing I don’t like about the towing tech package is the black and white lines around the truck on the Birdseye view. Wish I could get rid of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure you can turn it off. I swear I turned it off in mine but I like it and put it back.

jm888

Reaction score
I just realized if you want the 12" screen along with some other upgrades on the Big Horn, the Technology package is actually a good way to go. I had already added the LED headlamps and the Alpine system, which are about $1400 alone. If you want the 12 inch screen, which is $2000, adding the technology package has all 3 of those items for $3000 and included all of the cameras and stuff in the towing group. In this case, it ends up a lot less than the Laramie because I don't believe the 12 inch screen is offered in a package on the Laramie.

Users who are viewing this thread