Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to turn off the front courtesy lights console center light?

JimKIII

Reaction score
At night, when the headlights are on, the little center light on the front courtesy lights console is continually on. Even though the light is fairly dim, it is still distracting and annoying at night. It is bright enough to illuminate the carpet below it. I like as dark a cab as possible at night, so I mostly have the UConnect screen blanked out except for the clock. I go to look in the manual, since we men are known to always check manuals and maps, but found nothing relating to this light. See the photos. Whereas pg-56 of the manual shows a picture of the Front Courtesy/Reading Lights it ignores the light situated between (1) and (3). Not a whisper anywhere about this annoying little light. It dims when using the console/dashlight dimmer near the headlight switch, but if I dim it enough to turn it off - voila!! - I also have no dash lights.

Any clue how to turn this sucker off?

Attachments

• Courtesy lights console circled.jpg
    Courtesy lights console circled.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Courtesy lights console page.png
    Courtesy lights console page.png
    1 MB · Views: 35

arx237

Reaction score
Mine dosnt work like that. Left dims overhead console, footwells, door handles and rear underseat. Right dims all the control related indiators on dash. With the right fully clicked on it seems to turn off ambient lights controlled by left adjustment.
Left fully dimmed turns off that little consle light without affecting dash lights.

20221119_194001.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
At night, when the headlights are on, the little center light on the front courtesy lights console is continually on. Even though the light is fairly dim, it is still distracting and annoying at night. It is bright enough to illuminate the carpet below it. I like as dark a cab as possible at night, so I mostly have the UConnect screen blanked out except for the clock. I go to look in the manual, since we men are known to always check manuals and maps, but found nothing relating to this light. See the photos. Whereas pg-56 of the manual shows a picture of the Front Courtesy/Reading Lights it ignores the light situated between (1) and (3). Not a whisper anywhere about this annoying little light. It dims when using the console/dashlight dimmer near the headlight switch, but if I dim it enough to turn it off - voila!! - I also have no dash lights.

Any clue how to turn this sucker off?
You can only turn it off with the instrument panel lamps if you have the headlight switch with only one dimmer wheel.
Otherwise, you need to have the ambient lighting package in the doors and footwells to get the second dimmer wheel that turns it off with just the ambient lighting.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Small piece of duck tape placed over the light works well.
This seems to be the only solution. For crying out loud - I can't stand it when designers add crap to these rigs thinking they're doing us an all mighty favor, and then don't give us the option to turn it off. Oh sure, "buy our wonderful add-on package such as the ambient lighting pkg then we give you the pleasure of turning the stupid thing off....sucker!" They could have at least had the decency to include a small tab of duck tape in this $60,000+ truck!! Just one more not-so-small annoyance of these tech-heavy over-priced trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread