Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Safely Haul Pallets

eedrew

Reaction score
So, I recently replaced my 2002 F350 DRW Flatbed with a 2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman. It is a major upgrade. My concern is about the bed, and more specifically, the tailgate.

How do you folks safely load pallets in the bed of your pickup without damaging your tailgate? If it weren't for the camera, I would simply take the tailgate off, although that requires some preplanning unless the tailgate is going to ride around in the back of the pickup. I'm starting to be concerned that I made a big mistake getting a regular pickup bed instead of a flatbed. I have trailers I could put it on, but how do I ever benefit from the payload capacity of my new heavy duty pickup if I never put big pallets of stuff in the bed?

D

Deleted member 80

A forklift operator who knows what they are doing can slide the pallet without wrecking your gate. A sacrificial sheet in the bed can minimize digging the bed floor up.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Agreed. If there is big concern about the loader, you could remove the tailgate for loading, then reinstall it before driving, as it only takes a minute or two to remove or reinstall

el_barto

Reaction score
Yeah the forklift driver should be able to load the pallet without smashing up your truck. I usually spot them too just to make sure they don’t hurt my truck.

If he’s only got really short forks you can take the tailgate off to allow him to load.

eedrew

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm also thinking about when I get home, unloading. I know the forklift operator can get it in there, but then getting the pallet out with my skidsteer forks, might be more difficult since the operator might have "pushed" it forward. The sacrificial plywood is a good idea too.

Does anyone know how much weight the tailgate is good for. Google let me down on this search. Seems like it could easily have 1000lbs on it while loading/unloading a 2000+ lb pallet.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
The new multi-function tailgates on the 1500 are rated to 2,000lbs, and I don't see how ours can be any weaker than that, though I've never seen anything officially published by FCA regarding that.

D

Deleted member 80

If the operator starts at the balance point of the load they will be able to minimize the load on the gate.

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
Yeah I cut my teeth on a seed farm at 16 illegally operating.

Today I work in an office and occasionally help a local hardware. Loading full pallets of mulch or burning pellets is easy when you understand the concepts at play and know what to do. Never touched a tailgate. Initial set down of the pallet is minimal weight on the gate.

I am lazy and use my trailer when getting pallets. Just rides easier than loading the truck down and having it too heavy. I want to keep the body and interior in good shape but as far as my bed is concerned, it will get scratches and I don't care. But does anyone have experience sliding a pallet in overtop off factory puck inserts? I keep forgetting to see I believe they are recessed enough to not get caught.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Yeah I cut my teeth on a seed farm at 16 illegally operating.

Today I work in an office and occasionally help a local hardware. Loading full pallets of mulch or burning pellets is easy when you understand the concepts at play and know what to do. Never touched a tailgate. Initial set down of the pallet is minimal weight on the gate.

I am lazy and use my trailer when getting pallets. Just rides easier than loading the truck down and having it too heavy. I want to keep the body and interior in good shape but as far as my bed is concerned, it will get scratches and I don't care. But does anyone have experience sliding a pallet in overtop off factory puck inserts? I keep forgetting to see I believe they are recessed enough to not get caught.
I had a pallet and a half of concrete blocks in my 3500. The Lowes fork truck driver was not very good, but the pallet did slide over the puck inserts.

Wileykid

Reaction score
I have had a number of pallets of bricks (about 3K lbs each) put in the back of my 3500. One fork lift had the extended forks, so no issues, the others didn't, you end up with about 75% of the pallet in the bed, and the other part on the tailgate. Partially picked up the pallet, and slid it in. Some scratches in the plastic of the pucks and the spray in liner, but you have to look for it. I try not to scratch the inside of the bed, but it is a tool for me, and a very good chance it will get scratched up. If you are concerned, I guess you can remove the plastic part of the puck holes.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Be sure and strap 'em down real good

Attachments

• Truck Tie Downs.png
    Truck Tie Downs.png
    875.2 KB · Views: 16

Users who are viewing this thread