Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do Ram headlights compare? Halogen vs reflector LED vs projector LED

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
The halogen reflector headlights on my 2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn are horrible (my fog lights seem to put out more light) so I’m upgrading to either the LED reflectors that come on Laramie models or the LED projectors that come on Limited models.

The Laramie headlights are plug and play, with minor config changes via AlfaOBD. The Limited headlights are more expensive and require a wiring harness adapter and configuration changes to enable their adaptive (pivoting) capability.

Before I spend the extra money on the high-end headlights I wanted to ask here: how much better are the Limited headlights? I don’t see any photo comparisons on the forum; I only see a photo from @el_barto of the light pattern from his Laramie headlights, which looks pretty good (https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/morimoto-xb-vs-big-horn-laramie-oem-led.5613/#post-90225).

Would love to see some photos or detailed description of the Limited headlight output!

Last edited:

jabartram

Reaction score
I have the reflector leds in Power Wagon and love them.

sn_85

Reaction score
The halogen reflector headlights on my 2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn are horrible (my fog lights seem to put out more light) so I’m upgrading to either the LED reflectors that come on Laramie models or the LED projectors that come on Limited models.

The Laramie headlights are plug and play. The Limited headlights are more expensive and require a wiring harness adapter and configuration changes to enable their adaptive (pivoting) capability.

Before I spend the extra money on the high-end headlights I wanted to ask here: how much better are the Limited headlights? I don’t see any photo comparisons on the forum; I only see a photo from @el_barto of the light pattern from his Laramie headlights, which looks pretty good (https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/morimoto-xb-vs-big-horn-laramie-oem-led.5613/#post-90225).

Would love to see some photos or detailed description of the Limited headlight output!

I also have a Bighorn with the halogen reflectors. Are you positive the mid-range Bighorn/Laramie LED reflector headlight housings are plug and play? I've been trying to read up on this and there's information all over the board on this. Some say you can either install the led reflector housing with a custom harness and/or use alfaOBD to change the settings in the trucks computer to make them work. If the midgrade Bighorn/Laramie LED reflectors work plug and play I'd be interested in upgrading as well.

This is the most detailed thread I've found so far

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
Per @Jimmy07, the Laramie lights can be enabled via AlfaOBD config changes using the stock harness or you can use an adapter harness. The Limited lights require an adapter harness that you can buy from @Jimmy07 and some configuration settings.

Last edited:

sn_85

Reaction score
Yes, the Laramie lights are plug and play. The Limited lights require an adapter harness that you can buy from @Jimmy07 and some configuration settings. The difference is that the Limited lights are adaptive so they need more information than the other ones.

That's great to hear. I was dreading buying a harness and then having to hack into the trucks OBD system.

I wonder if that thread was more relevant to those who have a Tradesman and wanted to update to the LED reflector lights and needed a harness and OBD hack.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
That's great to hear. I was dreading buying a harness and then having to hack into the trucks OBD system.

I wonder if that thread was more relevant to those who have a Tradesman and wanted to update to the LED reflector lights and needed a harness and OBD hack.
Clarification:
For the OEM LED Reflector headlights, you need to EITHER use retroshop type harnesses OR use AlfaOBD to properly configure the BCM. If you just buy the headlights, and swap them right in without resistor harnesses or programming, they won’t work.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. I’ll edit my post to avoid misinformation.

sn_85

Reaction score
Clarification:
For the OEM LED Reflector headlights, you need to EITHER use retroshop type harnesses OR use AlfaOBD to properly configure the BCM. If you just buy the headlights, and swap them right in without resistor harnesses or programming, they won’t work.

That is what I thought as well. Thanks for clarifying.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
mine worked when I swapped them on my peasant mobile. the only thing that didn't work was the sig lighting.

sn_85

Reaction score
mine worked when I swapped them on my peasant mobile. the only thing that didn't work was the sig lighting.

So no harness or AlfaOBD hack? This might be one of those mods where I try it and see what happens and have either a harness or AlfaOBD on hand if I need it. Wish I had just special ordered my truck with the LED lights to begin with lol. It almost never pays off to have to do these things after the fact.

Riddick

Reaction score
I have no experience with the halogen reflectors or projector LEDs. However, the light output and visibility from my reflector LEDs is great, 100% satisfied with them.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
So no harness or AlfaOBD hack? This might be one of those mods where I try it and see what happens and have either a harness or AlfaOBD on hand if I need it. Wish I had just special ordered my truck with the LED lights to begin with lol. It almost never pays off to have to do these things after the fact.

correct. I did use alfa to adjust them to where they work as oem, but they're both 12pin connectors.

jetrinka

Reaction score
The LED projectors in my truck are the best I've ever had in any vehicle. It gets dark where we live and this is the first vehicle I've owned that I don't feel any need to upgrade the lights or add additional ones.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Stock Halogens leave a lot to be desired..I’ve been considering both OEM LED, and aftermarket LED housings.. Morimoto XB hybrids are a complete plug n play projector LED assembly at a decent price point with pretty decent feedback.. If i pay for the OEM Limited projectors, harness and alphaobd (don’t have it yet) it gets a little spendy.. Onbtge other hand, if i buy the OEM reflector LEDs I’ll either need the adapter harness or AlphaObd to get them to function properly.. still gets spendy for a reflector LED.
Can’t quite decide on what route i want to go just yet.. if i find a set of OEM projectors for a great price I’d jump on it and do the extra leg work to get them to work. As of now, they are more than i want to spend.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like the Laramie LEDs, but compared to my previous truck with 50w HIDs inside projectors, the LEDs dont have enough throw and wash out on wet asphalt. I find driving with the LED fog lights pretty crucial, but I'm going to try some amber film from Lamin-x on the fogs and see if that improves things a bit.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Did you figure out how to get the DRL signature lighting to work? I changed my settings using JScan and i can’t get the signature DRLs to come on either

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
Did you figure out how to get the DRL signature lighting to work? I changed my settings using JScan and i can’t get the signature DRLs to come on either
alfaobd. either that, maybe jscan, or a harness is required to get that to work.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
alfaobd. either that, maybe jscan, or a harness is required to get that to work.
I messaged JScan developers via Facebook.. said they will update the software to accommodate the signature DRLs in the next few days.. but, currently they do not support that option.... i got the signature lighting to come on with the park, low and high beams.. but not as an independent DRL.. @Jimmy07 was very helpful with my dilemma.. he even gave me the sig lighting coding to give to the developers. No ****.. this forum is pretty cool

Enve46

Reaction score
Why not consider something aftermarket that looks similar?

Users who are viewing this thread