Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I get notified of a tire is low pressure?

KevinJB

Reaction score
2021 3500 Limited Dually.
If a tire is low, or goes low while driving, how I'm I notified? Just an idiot light? Do I get a single chime, or multiple chimes?

I tried to test this. In the driveway. Filling the tire, the tire monitor displays quick and accuate, and the Auto Fill Alert is a cool feature.
To try to simulate close to driving conditions, In the drive way, I had my wife start the truck, put in drive holding the brake. I lowered a front tire down from 80psi to 26psi, no alert. I had her go forward and back about 20', still no alert. This would be unacceptable if say we went out for dinner, and I had unknowingly picked up a nail, and when we went to drive off in the truck, not be notified of very low pressure.

So I tried just lowing one of my rear tires from 65psi to about 35psi and drive around between 35mph and 55mph for around 20 minutes, and still no notification. I look at the TPMS display on the dash and it shows the low psi, but not indication of a problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

bfs673

Reaction score
While I don't know why... this is a "feature" on 3500 trucks. I've seen here, not sure if true, the 1500/2500 have tire pressure alert, while the 3500 has tire pressure monitoring only.
I don't know why there's no alert, and sounds like an easy implementation. In fact, I'd love to be able to set the limits!

bfs673

Reaction score
Looks like this may be "settable" using AlfaODB.

Here's a note from koller1509 on another Cummins forum discussing this topic:
"If you have AlfaOBD you can switch off the TPIS and switch on the TPMS but most people don't want the TPMS squawking at them."

KevinJB

Reaction score
I posted same question in FB and got this great info, especially since I was more wondering about using the trailer monitors from mopar in the trailer wheels.
YouTube video labeled:
Tire Pressure – TPIS/TFA /STFA/TTPMS | How To | 2021 Ram Heavy Duty Trucks

KevinJB

Reaction score
Your lucky your fill assist works mine does not from my limited experimentation except to set the thresh hold lower
Set the Start button to Run, but don't start truck. Go to settings in the Uconnect and check mark on the Auto Fill Assist. Then start filling tires. My flashers do go on when filling, but I only knew from reflection on garage door. I stopped as soon as I heard horn. Perfect. After you turn off the start button, the Auto Fill Assist check mark will go back it No. Hope this helps.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Set the Start button to Run, but don't start truck. Go to settings in the Uconnect and check mark on the Auto Fill Assist. Then start filling tires. My flashers do go on when filling, but I only knew from reflection on garage door. I stopped as soon as I heard horn. Perfect. After you turn off the start button, the Auto Fill Assist check mark will go back it No. Hope this helps.
I know how it works it just does not work

2001WS6

Reaction score
I was just driving last Thursday with a left rear inner that was flat. The only reason i knew something was up was because of the clicking sound of something in one of my tires.
I brought up the tire pressure screen and sure enough, I only had 2 psi in a tire.
Would be great to have an alert of some sort.

Greenhills

Reaction score
I was just driving last Thursday with a left rear inner that was flat. The only reason i knew something was up was because of the clicking sound of something in one of my tires.
I brought up the tire pressure screen and sure enough, I only had 2 psi in a tire.
Would be great to have an alert of some sort.
My Tradesman did not give an alert, but my new Power Wagon will throw a light and i think it chimed at me when i picked up a flat.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
2500’s have TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system), where it forces the tire pressure screen to pop up on the EVIC when a tire goes low, and illuminates the low tire telltale.
3500’s have TPIS (tire pressure information system), where you have to bring up the tire pressure screen yourself to see the current tire pressures. The only way to change that behavior is to use AlfaOBD to change the tire pressure system type in the BCM.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
2500’s have TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system), where it forces the tire pressure screen to pop up on the EVIC when a tire goes low, and illuminates the low tire telltale.
3500’s have TPIS (tire pressure information system), where you have to bring up the tire pressure screen yourself to see the current tire pressures. The only way to change that behavior is to use AlfaOBD to change the tire pressure system type in the BCM.
So the 2500s can also be switched to TPIS?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Wait, wut? So we can change 3500 to TPMS?

Or is this another thing that won't work on 3500's? LOL

Things that don't work on 3500:

1. Front Camera (ala PW) with tire guides
2. Hill Descent
3. ?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
If you have a 3500, and want to change over to TPMS:
VehConfig 3: premium tpm system present- YES
VehConfig 5: non regulated tire pressure information system- NO
If you have a 1500 or 2500, and want to change over to TPIS:
VehConfig 3: premium tpm system present- NO
VehConfig 5: non regulated tire pressure information system- YES
If you have a set of tires with no sensors, and you want to get rid of the tire pressure screen all together from the EVIC, set both of those to “no”.
Might take some drive cycles for the changes to pick up, because the RF Hub has to learn them.

xDROPOUTx

Reaction score
If you have a 3500, and want to change over to TPMS:
VehConfig 3: premium tpm system present- YES
VehConfig 5: non regulated tire pressure information system- NO
If you have a 1500 or 2500, and want to change over to TPIS:
VehConfig 3: premium tpm system present- NO
VehConfig 5: non regulated tire pressure information system- YES
If you have a set of tires with no sensors, and you want to get rid of the tire pressure screen all together from the EVIC, set both of those to “no”.
Might take some drive cycles for the changes to pick up, because the RF Hub has to learn them.

Jimmy,

Will TPIS automatically notify a 3500 if its running trailer sensors or would a 3500 need to be swapped over to TPMS to get notified on trailer sensors? Thanks for this awesome info!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Jimmy,

Will TPIS automatically notify a 3500 if its running trailer sensors or would a 3500 need to be swapped over to TPMS to get notified on trailer sensors? Thanks for this awesome info!
The truck tire pressure system and the trailer tire pressure system are completely separate from each other. The TTPMS will always automatically pop up the trailer tire pressure screen if a tire goes low.

Users who are viewing this thread