Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How’s the acceleration on a ‘22 Cummins HO?

Dmacmilitant

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

First a big thank you for everyone’s guidance and support months back as I dealt with the CP4 issue and poor repair workmanship from a dealership. Was able to get my ‘20 2500 Cummins purchased back as a lemon law buyback. I had to surrender the truck on my birthday back in September (some birthday present) and thought the ‘22 3500 HO that I ordered would be in soon. We’ll it’s finally arriving this week!
Anyways, while I was stuck waiting with no truck to drive or tow our travel trailer, I broke down and purchased a 2018 F-250 Lariat Powerstroke 6-speed auto trans to get me by. It’s, eh, ok. Not as comfortable, I miss the mega cab, dash and everything feels cheap, and the 360 degree cameras are atrocious. However, the acceleration on this Ford truck is incredible compared to the ‘20 2500 Cummins that I had. The F-250 takes off like a rocket ship and I can spin the 37” tires without thinking about it while already in motion around 10-15 mph. My kids think it’s hilarious how they get pushed back into the seat as we get on the freeway at such an increasing speed.

Now, obviously, this isn’t really important but it is kind of nice to be able to accelerate so damn fast. So I ask those that have a newer Cummins HO, how do you feel the acceleration is? From a dead stop I don’t really care about, but if I’m on a surface street at 15-30mph, and I’m entering the on ramp, is it able to take off like a rocket and get up to speed quickly? Or is it hit or miss like my 2500 was?

Overall, it’s not going to deter me from actually taking delivery of the new 3500, but I might always be thinking “Man, that F-250 sure was a fast truck.”

Thanks for the feedback and conversation!

flan

Reaction score
While I can’t speak for the trucks performance a add on like a Banks pedal commander will give you that instant acceleration you are looking for if it is not to your liking. V8 diesels do spin up fast and run higher rpm to get that fast feeling. I Still prefer me a old and slow little 6cyl though....

Dmacmilitant

Reaction score
For sure, I unplugged and kept my Throttle Sensitivity Booster from the 2500. I assume it will transfer over no problem, but it only changes the throttle input.

Is anyone having any luck with anything like a Banks Derringer? I know they make an impactful difference on Fords.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The Ford powerstroke has more horsepower and will out accelerate the newest cummins HO. Additionally, the trans tuning on the Ford is better in my opinion.

There is too much torque limiting on the HO powertrain.

That said, once you get to 3rd gear, the HO truck flat out moves.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The Ford powerstroke has more horsepower and will out accelerate the newest cummins HO. Additionally, the trans tuning on the Ford is better in my opinion.

There is too much torque limiting on the HO powertrain.

That said, once you get to 3rd gear, the HO truck flat out moves.

And when you hook a load to it, the power comes on and it moves.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The cummins is ment to pull and it does it well the ferd is great empty lots of power but loaded it tends to fall flat on its face hence the reason they went to a 10 speed same with duramax while the cummins just keeps pulling like a freight train…. There is a reason you find equipment with Inline engines such as a cummins and not a v8 the low end torque that a V8 just cant provide if you want a sports car then buy a sports car if you want a truck that can pull anything you need then buy a CUMMINS

Last edited:

love2build

Reaction score
Strap a pedal commander on. Set it to 3 or 4 on sport and watch out. The rear tires will break loose on dry pavement. I’m not able to compare it to a cord but mine moves well. Ear to ear grin every time.

Dmacmilitant

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback and totally understood. Again, I need the Cummins power to pull my trailers and I prefer if over the Ford in every way. I'm just getting antsy awaiting delivery and wanted to get some convo going. Looking forward to my new 3500 HO. Thanks, All!

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
I use the pedal monster on my 22 dually. Works great. There is to much lag in the stock pedal.

Firebird

Reaction score
My contractor has a 2021 HO, and that thing steps right out! You can really feel the power.

Reaction score
I’ve got buddies with both new Powerstrokes and Duramax’s and they are both quicker feeling off the line compared to my 3500 HO. The transmission programming definitely limits the torque but that’s probably a good thing because even in 3rd, if I floor it, the rear tires will break loose. Once the trucks are moving though…. They all feel pretty close to the same to me.

I will say that I initially had some reservations about the Aisin programming but my 22 is smooth as can be. Overall I definitely like the Ram “package” more than the other 2.

kpecks

Reaction score
Banks pedal monster makes a massive difference. I was actually quite shocked. I just wanted smooth power that never ends. My raptor is used for getting around town fast.

GLB1950

Reaction score
Don't have an SO to compare mine to and since this is my first purchased diesel, all I can say is wow, the HO is a beast. Drove Fords and GMs at work and they preformed successfully pulling an excavator around and over mt. passes. They were no where as comfortable and as luxurious as my Longhorn.:cool:

Myfast70

Reaction score
Banks pedal monster makes a massive difference. I was actually quite shocked. I just wanted smooth power that never ends. My raptor is used for getting around town fast.

This x2! I am pretty damn impressed with the Banks Pedal Monster and how well it works. It's also super easy to install and adjust. Some people complain that you can't change the settings while driving but it's not a big deal to me as I try to avoid playing on my phone while driving

kpecks

Reaction score
This x2! I am pretty damn impressed with the Banks Pedal Monster and how well it works. It's also super easy to install and adjust. Some people complain that you can't change the settings while driving but it's not a big deal to me as I try to avoid playing on my phone while driving
You can adjust it on the fly but not while the vehicle is in motion. I did manage to figure out how to adjust it from my screen using carplay, an app called carbridge and a jailbroken iphone :)

C450BAF1-87CA-4D41-B113-C86B2FB91E52.jpeg

Myfast70

Reaction score
With as buggy and glitchy UC5 is and has been for me, I don't want to make it any worse. I got rid of my iphone years ago and couldn't be happier so I'm certainly not getting one just to diplay it on my screen. I know there are ways to do it with Android but they don't seem to have one for UC5 yet

Users who are viewing this thread