Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hood fills with water after it rains. Now with video.

Squatch

Reaction score
Probably figured why burn the calories in bringing up an issue when a blanket statement from FCA that sends you nowhere chases many away.

If that amount froze, your hood would suffer the same fate of that one Pepsi can that rolled out of the bag and took up home under the seat during that cold night. I would like everyone who got drown by storm ETA go out and open their hoods and then we can put together a % of possibilities. Just looking for water amounts, not the fact that where the truck is geographically park. Maybe this is why FCA made the hood out of aluminum....no rust no matter the amount of water that they forgot to figure in to the design.
How hard would it be to seal those emblems?

bht222u

Reaction score
Probably figured why burn the calories in bringing up an issue when a blanket statement from FCA that sends you nowhere chases many away.

If that amount froze, your hood would suffer the same fate of that one Pepsi can that rolled out of the bag and took up home under the seat during that cold night. I would like everyone who got drown by storm ETA go out and open their hoods and then we can put together a % of possibilities. Just looking for water amounts, not the fact that where the truck is geographically park. Maybe this is why FCA made the hood out of aluminum....no rust no matter the amount of water that they forgot to figure in.

Corrosion is what can get aluminum, and rain water will cause it. Aircraft are made from aluminum and corrosion is their enemy. 18 years of working on aircraft has taught me that even when the aluminum is coated corrosion will find a way in if the coating is not kept perfect.

cobradvm

Reaction score
Sorry, but you should just stop complaining and suck it up and deal with it. That's just the way it is with these trucks. So what if some hoods fill up with water.

Okay - j/k!! :p

I'd probably pull the emblems off, seal them with silicone and then drill some drain holes and call it good.

Good luck - that was an impressive amount of water though!

Tccracer

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback. I hope to work with @RamCares to get the dealer to solve the problem. I agree with many of you that the emblems are most likely the source of the problem.

Since the truck is still within it's warranty period, I want to get it fixed now. I want them to correct it, so that I don't have the problem in the future. I don't want to drill holes in my hood to aleviate the problem because it isn't a solution it just makes the buildup not as bad but the problem still exists. I also don't want to start draining all of the water into the engine compartment.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback. I hope to work with @RamCares to get the dealer to solve the problem. I agree with many of you that the emblems are most likely the source of the problem.

Since the truck is still within it's warranty period, I want to get it fixed now. I want them to correct it, so that I don't have the problem in the future. I don't want to drill holes in my hood to aleviate the problem because it isn't a solution it just makes the buildup not as bad but the problem still exists. I also don't want to start draining all of the water into the engine compartment.

Getting the dealer to remedy would definitely be the best option, but I expect they’ll do nothing as Ram will tell them it was designed that way.

Drilling holes and allowing the water to dump into the engine compartment won’t be an issue. That area is considered “wet space” and everything in there can handle the water. It’s also not like it’ll all be pouring in there at once. It’ll be coming out as fast as it goes in.

Frank

Reaction score
I would not drill. No way while under warranty.

Ram has said it is not sealed and supposed to drain. They may just not realize how you are having to drain it. Clearly a disconnect here. And a growing gripe I have with dealer service departments having awful customer service.

Going to the dealer is the safe choice but a PITA for simple stuff. If it were me I'd look at it like the roof on my house and see if there was a simple answer before calling someone. Rain should land on the hood and flow down and outside the body. Any that fell in the gap would drain down the lip on the quarter panel and out by the headlights. So that amount of water getting inside the hood has to be coming from the cowl.

Check for a cowl drain. Run something down it to clear debris. Those pine trees in your background like to drop the pollen pods in the fall and when they break up the little bits get everywhere.

That and check under the sides and front of the hood for a drain clogged with the same debris.

Don't drill, don't take apart, just inspect and clean.

DMC1

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing but only appears to be coming from the driver’s side. I’ve checked it after rain and washing. Only seems to be draining on the drivers side. I checked the emblems and the drivers side appeared to be not fully clipped in. I pulled it out and put a thin layer of black caulking on mine. Pressed it back in and it seemed to be tighter this time. Now I’ll test it when it rains or next time I wash to see what happens.

While I’m concerned that water is getting in and draining, aluminum will corrode. My biggest issue is if it is not corrected and it gets in and freezes I’ll have a warped or split hood. I will fix it myself. I would not let my local dealership near my truck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry, but you should just stop complaining and suck it up and deal with it. That's just the way it is with these trucks. So what if some hoods fill up with water.

Okay - j/k!! :p

I'd probably pull the emblems off, seal them with silicone and then drill some drain holes and call it good.

Good luck - that was an impressive amount of water though!
Holy Crap! That first sentence I thought you were channeling my dealer's service advisor.

Houston762

Reaction score
After a wash mine drains above the passenger and drivers headlights, down the grill and bumper which is probably due to slope of driveway. I usually have to go detail the front after it's all dry. Never put two and two together that the hood is getting water in it but the drainage did seem excessive.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I checked mine. No water accumulated whatsoever. And it rained the last two days.
Didn't see the drainage ports but they look to be working.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
One could do what we used to have to do to the 3rd brake light. Pull the badges, apply some rtv seal and reinstall. It's really not a Chrysler product unless some part of the truck allows water to seep in somewhere.

carlrx7

Reaction score
After a wash mine drains above the passenger and drivers headlights, down the grill and bumper which is probably due to slope of driveway. I usually have to go detail the front after it's all dry. Never put two and two together that the hood is getting water in it but the drainage did seem excessive.
same

DMC1

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing but only appears to be coming from the driver’s side. I’ve checked it after rain and washing. Only seems to be draining on the drivers side. I checked the emblems and the drivers side appeared to be not fully clipped in. I pulled it out and put a thin layer of black caulking on mine. Pressed it back in and it seemed to be tighter this time. Now I’ll test it when it rains or next time I wash to see what happens.

While I’m concerned that water is getting in and draining, aluminum will corrode. My biggest issue is if it is not corrected and it gets in and freezes I’ll have a warped or split hood. I will fix it myself. I would not let my local dealership near my truck.
Update: Big time rain here for the past day or so. Opened hood this afternoon and no water at all. Problem seems to be corrected now. Will keep my eye on it! Good luck!

BAT3500

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 20. As noted by others after a rain or wash job the hood would drain quite a bit of water when opened. Dealer installed new hood badgers a few weeks ago. Service adviser stated both original badges were improperly seated allowing water to get past seals n the mounting tabs. Opened the hood this weekend after returning from long trip with several inches of rain during trip and no more hood hood holding water...

Tccracer

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 20. As noted by others after a rain or wash job the hood would drain quite a bit of water when opened. Dealer installed new hood badgers a few weeks ago. Service adviser stated both original badges were improperly seated allowing water to get past seals n the mounting tabs. Opened the hood this weekend after returning from long trip with several inches of rain during trip and no more hood hood holding water...
That's really interesting. I think I have the same problem. I would like to find a dealer in the Raleigh, NC area who has a service advisor like that. The closest dealer in Garner, NC indicates that it isn't a problem. I may have to shop the local dealers until I find an advisor who recognize what is going on.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Honestly, I wish I only had this issue. Getting water in the hood isn't nearly as bad as getting water in the cab :(

Users who are viewing this thread