Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HomeLink Help

John Jensen

Reaction score
I have read the manual, read several forum posts on how to and I still cannot get my 2020 Ram 3500 Laramie HomeLink to work. I'm not new to HomeLink, have it working well on my 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn and daughter's 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

For starters, I cannot complete the first step to erase the channels. The orange light flashes but the EVIC never displays any message. Same for the rest of the steps.

Any advice would be appreciated.

While you are at it, what does the roller wheel next to the light switch do? I have two roller wheel switches. The one next to the switch I cannot figure out what it does. The one next to that dims the dash and screen. The manual is worthless on this.

Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 80

One wheel for dash lights, the other for the cabin ambient lights. Mood lights;)

I don't bother with using the programming button on the opener, I just hold the remote near the mirror, and hold the buttons, and have always managed to stumble through the programming.

carlrx7

Reaction score
I don't remember looking at the evic for any messages. followed the instructions, erased, then programmed home-link, then hit the rolling code button on my garage opener then pressed the home-link button again. tada. one dial is gauge lighting and the other is the foot-wells.

John Jensen

Reaction score
^^^^^ Yep! Done all that several times - no success

litzdog911

Reaction score
Hmmm. I just programmed our three garage door openers to the HomeLink in my new 2020 2500 with no issues. There's no message on the display, just the light on the HomeLink buttons. I followed the manual's instructions and they worked the first time.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Hmmm. I just programmed our three garage door openers to the HomeLink in my new 2020 2500 with no issues. There's no message on the display, just the light on the HomeLink buttons. I followed the manual's instructions and they worked the first time.
Thanks,
Did they program using the garage door transmitter only or did you have to also put the garage door opener in "learn" mode etc.?

U

User_1648

@John Jensen - when you press the buttons on the Homelink module on your visor, do you see a small yellowish/orangeish light above the buttons...or...any light for that matter? I ask, because I too seemed to have the problem you're having and it turns out the Homelink module was defective. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the entire visor. Works like a champ mow!

John Jensen

Reaction score
@John Jensen - when you press the buttons on the Homelink module on your visor, do you see a small yellowish/orangeish light above the buttons...or...any light for that matter? I ask, because I too seemed to have the problem you're having and it turns out the Homelink module was defective. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the entire visor. Works like a champ mow!
Yes, the light turns on and flashes. I had my son who is very familiar with these devices and he could not get it to work either. I'm beginning to think mine is defective too.

litzdog911

Reaction score
Thanks,
Did they program using the garage door transmitter only or did you have to also put the garage door opener in "learn" mode etc.?

My garage door openers pre-date the "rolling code" variety that require using the door opener's "learn" mode. I just needed to hold the remote control next to the truck's HomeLink button while pressing both the HomeLink and remote buttons.

John Jensen

Reaction score
My garage door openers pre-date the "rolling code" variety that require using the door opener's "learn" mode. I just needed to hold the remote control next to the truck's HomeLink button while pressing both the HomeLink and remote buttons.
Thanks, I've tried the "learn" button but haven't tried it using "learn" and the remote control together. I'll give that a try and let you know. You might be in line for the free beer :D

carlrx7

Reaction score
Did you put in a fresh battery in the oem remote?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Did you put in a fresh battery in the oem remote?
No, I didn't because it was not that old. The manual says to do so, must have a reason, I'm doing that next.
If that does it I'll be really pissed at myself for the grief and involving all of you for naught.

John Jensen

Reaction score
carlrx7 -- BINGO!
That did it. :D You get the beer.

Good news. Because I had recently replaced the garage door remote battery I did not put in a new one as the manual suggests. So I put in a new battery and instantly got HomeLink to work. What's interesting is now I cannot get switch 2 or 3 to work. Going to measure the voltage on the new battery and possibly replace it to see if that is again the problem. Hard to believe that programming would drop the new battery that much. Or perhaps the new battery was old and not at full capacity. We'll see. Seems that HomeLink wants a full battery or nada.

Gofast23

Reaction score
carlrx7 -- BINGO!
That did it. :D You get the beer.

Good news. Because I had recently replaced the garage door remote battery I did not put in a new one as the manual suggests. So I put in a new battery and instantly got HomeLink to work. What's interesting is now I cannot get switch 2 or 3 to work. Going to measure the voltage on the new battery and possibly replace it to see if that is again the problem. Hard to believe that programming would drop the new battery that much. Or perhaps the new battery was old and not at full capacity. We'll see. Seems that HomeLink wants a full battery or nada.
Digging up an old thread, but curious if you ever resolved the issue of the 2nd and 3rd button not programming? I'm having the same issue. With a brand new battery, I was able to program the 1st button with no trouble. But the 2nd/3rd button will not accept a code from the handheld remote. So frustrating. Like you, I've used this same remote to program multiple other vehicles with HomeLink.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Digging up an old thread, but curious if you ever resolved the issue of the 2nd and 3rd button not programming? I'm having the same issue. With a brand new battery, I was able to program the 1st button with no trouble. But the 2nd/3rd button will not accept a code from the handheld remote. So frustrating. Like you, I've used this same remote to program multiple other vehicles with HomeLink.
I didn't resolve it, I quit trying. Don't need it so just quit messing with it.

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
This is an old thread I realize but I was going crazy as many of you were trying to get this to work. I finally did. I dont know if this will work for everyone, but it did for me. For the record I have genie brand openers.

The way I read the below link from homelink was that i had to do one of the two steps depending on if I had rolling code or not. The solution was to do both steps. So I:

1) held both outside buttons for 10ish seconds until the little LED blinked fast to clear any old codes
2) pushed the button on the remote that came with the door and the button on the homelink i wanted to use at the same time until the homelink LED blinked fast (about 10 sec)
3) pushed the program button on the garage door opener itself until the light started blinking (mine is purple)
4) went back to the truck, and pushed the homelink button i just programmed 3 times slowly. Like held it down for about a second, release, held it down, repeat.

I did that with all three door openers i have and all three of the homelink buttons now work with their corresponding doors.

I have a 21 2500 PW. Hope this helps.

Ziggy

Reaction score
This is an old thread I realize but I was going crazy as many of you were trying to get this to work. I finally did. I dont know if this will work for everyone, but it did for me. For the record I have genie brand openers.

The way I read the below link from homelink was that i had to do one of the two steps depending on if I had rolling code or not. The solution was to do both steps. So I:

1) held both outside buttons for 10ish seconds until the little LED blinked fast to clear any old codes
2) pushed the button on the remote that came with the door and the button on the homelink i wanted to use at the same time until the homelink LED blinked fast (about 10 sec)
3) pushed the program button on the garage door opener itself until the light started blinking (mine is purple)
4) went back to the truck, and pushed the homelink button i just programmed 3 times slowly. Like held it down for about a second, release, held it down, repeat.

I did that with all three door openers i have and all three of the homelink buttons now work with their corresponding doors.

I have a 21 2500 PW. Hope this helps.

I used the same process 2 days ago and it worked for me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread