Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High oil level, Looking For Input

Units

Reaction score
I know there are a bunch of threads on this but looking for opinions before I go hit the panic button.
Truck has 5800 miles on it. Daily driver.
30 miles each way to work (70% interstate), some in town driving.
Auto regens were averaging between 500-600 miles and 45%. last one was @ 45% on the gauge, 325 miles, 7 hrs and 51 minutes on 01/26/24. Gauge currently sits at about 20% full. I tow my 7000k TT 2-3 times a year(or more as work permits)
Checked oil yesterday 30 minutes after sitting according to the manual:
1706631581329.jpeg
Checked this morning before work:
1706631631116.jpeg

Last time I checked the oil was about a month ago and it was half way up the safe mark, in the morning (no picture).
Was thinking of sending off an oil sample to Blackstone to check fuel dilution and changing the oil, which I’m 100% gonna do.
Should I take it to the dealer or drive it more after the oil change and keep tracking my regens. Not sure if the oil fluctuations are normal for diesel, I know it isn’t really broken in yet.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Even 30 mins sitting is not enough, your oil level this morning is perfect nothing to worry about.

Whats the temp outside this morning vs when your warm engine was checked?

Units

Reaction score
Was 36 this morning at 4am. Checked yesterday at about 4:30p, was in the low 60’s yesterday. I had just gotten home from work about 3:50p. Trying not to be paranoid o_O

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks normal for hot oil, still hot at 30 minutes, and serviced to the full line cold.

Check it after an overnight sit.

Units

Reaction score
Looks normal for hot oil, still hot at 30 minutes, and serviced to the full line cold.

Check it after an overnight sit.
Second picture was in the morning before I left for work. From everything I’ve read, oil levels fluctuate in diesels. I am new to diesels, trying not to be paranoid.

Edit: so it’s better to check it while the engine is cold? Manual says after 30 minutes. For my information.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Second picture was in the morning before I left for work. From everything I’ve read, oil levels fluctuate in diesels. I am new to diesels, trying not to be paranoid.

Edit: so it’s better to check it while the engine is cold? Manual says after 30 minutes. For my information.
Yes cold is ideal, remember as apposed to a car or gas truck with maybe 1 gal of oil you have 3 gal which when warm will show more on the stick as more volume of oil more expansion

CharlieL

Reaction score
Through this thread & another about the same topic, I have learned of what seems a problem effecting my truck - it is making oil. And it looks to be alot! I am concerned. I checked the oil level the past two days, both times in the a.m. after the truck had set overnight on a level surface. Used both the standard pull out & no wiping method and the wipe & reinsert method. Both checks resulted in the same reading. The oil is way above the "safe" zone and is at where the wire cable meets the indicator.

The truck is at 37,741 miles. Last oil change was at 28,001. So, about 9,800 on the current oil. From what it appears, there is a very significant amount of extra oil in my truck. Seems prudent to have the oil changed ahead of time (as in now) and have a sample analyzed.

IMG_7299.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Through this thread & another about the same topic, I have learned of what seems a problem effecting my truck - it is making oil. And it looks to be alot! I am concerned. I checked the oil level the past two days, both times in the a.m. after the truck had set overnight on a level surface. Used both the standard pull out & no wiping method and the wipe & reinsert method. Both checks resulted in the same reading. The oil is way above the "safe" zone and is at where the wire cable meets the indicator.

The truck is at 37,741 miles. Last oil change was at 28,001. So, about 9,800 on the current oil. From what it appears, there is a very significant amount of extra oil in my truck. Seems prudent to have the oil changed ahead of time (as in now) and have a sample analyzed.

View attachment 68624
Did you check the oil after it was changed if you did not do it yourself? Does it smell like fuel that much fuel in the oil should smell.

CharlieL

Reaction score
Did you check the oil after it was changed if you did not do it yourself? Does it smell like fuel that much fuel in the oil should smell.
Thanks for the reply. No, I did not check the level after it was changed, which was at the dealer. I did not conduct a smell test. Will do that tomorrow.

CharlieL

Reaction score
The oil does not have any diesel fuel smell.

I would not worry as of yet it was likely overfilled by the lube monkey
Agreed. I read in another thread that likely the monkey did not let all the oil drain, as that takes a while, and then added the full 12 quart amount, which would create an "overfill" situation.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread!! Thanks for the info.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
1709261400373.png
Mine is consistently above the safe mark. It's really annoying - I guess next time I'll just deliver 11 qts of T6 10w30 to the oil changer instead of 12 qts and see if that fixes the problem. This indication has gone up a little bit from when I got it back from them. Only 2k on this oil. Engine only regens every 24 eng hrs. My idle time is 10.5% per the engine screen on the dash. Doesn't seem to smell like diesel is there - does it look like any diesel on the paper towel?

Perhaps I should just quit worrying about it and drive it...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 69959
Mine is consistently above the safe mark. It's really annoying - I guess next time I'll just deliver 11 qts of T6 10w30 to the oil changer instead of 12 qts and see if that fixes the problem. This indication has gone up a little bit from when I got it back from them. Only 2k on this oil. Engine only regens every 24 eng hrs. My idle time is 10.5% per the engine screen on the dash. Doesn't seem to smell like diesel is there - does it look like any diesel on the paper towel?

Perhaps I should just quit worrying about it and drive it...

Likely it’s not being drained long enough and a blind 12 quarts is being dumped in.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I do wonder though, how high is too high before it actually becomes a problem...

How long has it been sitting in that photo?

You’re about 1/2 a quart high. I personally wouldn’t do anything until you were a full quart high.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
How long has it been sitting in that photo?

You’re about 1/2 a quart high. I personally wouldn’t do anything until you were a full quart high.
That was after 8hrs of sitting in my level garage.

phatboy64

Reaction score
I am bumping this thread, I just had my oil changed for the first time in this truck by a local shop, after sitting for about three hours my oil level is pretty much exactly like the picture in post #14. There is not a lot of level ground around my home so letting it sit overnight on level ground is not possible. That said it looked level but when I put a level on my running boards it looks like the truck may have been about 2“ higher at the front.
I have never really paid this much attention to this but this and the other thread with the fuel in the oil has me over thinking this.

my question is, is this too much oil or should I leave it alone…

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I am bumping this thread, I just had my oil changed for the first time in this truck by a local shop, after sitting for about three hours my oil level is pretty much exactly like the picture in post #14. There is not a lot of level ground around my home so letting it sit overnight on level ground is not possible. That said it looked level but when I put a level on my running boards it looks like the truck may have been about 2“ higher at the front.
I have never really paid this much attention to this but this and the other thread with the fuel in the oil has me over thinking this.

my question is, is this too much oil or should I leave it alone…

It’s probably fine. That’s enough time to drain the filter back into the sump, but not enough for a full cool.

These trucks are nose low from the factory, so a 2” nose high attitude will make the same volume of oil look higher than a stock truck on level ground.

Users who are viewing this thread