Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi vs Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
Sounds nice.

100 miles to Sky Harbor isn't too awful bad from Prescott. Looks like 3 hours from Show Low.
I am in Az. often. It’s a great place and it’s politics are smart except for this last short lived screw up. South, it’s too dam hot. Prescott Valley is pretty awesome and not as hot but it still is too hot for me . I guess it depends where but wouldn’t want to be more then 20 minutes from the town.
Isn’t the Ruger factory there?
Prescott area is nice, I live in Show Low and like it better, a little higher altitude and maybe more actual ponderosa pine forest.
Just looked up Show Low. Higher elevation means less heat. Seems awesome! Hottest temps in the mid 80’s and the average lowest temps in the 20’s for Jan and Decembe. Maps say’s a bit over 3 hours to Phoenix. Sky Harbor is far but survivable.
Been worried if Colorado really does turn into Kalif****dupfornia where to move. Idaho and Utah seem great but I’ve always loved Az. just can’t deal with 110°+ weather for too long.

Last edited:

CharlieL

Reaction score
It appears the debate has concluded & Cummins has been found as superior. Also it appears gas mileage conclusively varies State by State. This can be verified by my attached pic. As shown, in New Mexico a CTD gets incredible gas mileage. I'm sure everyone will agree this is without dispute, as we all have acknowledged the EVIC is infallible and phenomenally reliable and accurate! While I don't recommend going under 15 MPH in certain areas, on my local streets this never presents a problem, in particular when behind a (s)low rider. :cool:

Ok.... as far as places sucking out one's soul! I find New Mexico to not be that way for me. All politics & current mask wearing policies aside, I've no desire to move. I lived in plenty of States north to south and east to west by the time I was 18. I've traveled to nearly all (except very far NE) in my life. Been in NM since 1982 when transferred here courtesy of the USMC as part of recruiting duty & have literally traveled every road and been in every town in the State (Cloudcroft included per elephantrider's question). I like waking up to clear blue skies; a bad day is when I can't see 100 miles. We have four real seasons. I can open-carry, concealed-carry, or both at the same time. Most of the folks I know agree that gun control means using both hands. The food is great, and we have lots of wide open spaces for "recreating." I can snow ski in the mountains up north and water ski in the south on the same day. Tons of State parks and federal lands to take my camper to. Yesterday the best local diesel price was $3.09 - at a Loves truck stop, no less. My driving habits in town are pretty set - I drive my truck like it's a truck. If I want a speed demon with incredible acceleration to race from red light to red light, I have an Audi A7 in my garage for that. (OK it's my wife's car, but....). The city driving I do usually means never having to wait for more than one light cycle to get through an intersection. I know the regular roads I travel have the lights timed for the speed limit so there's much more moving than stopping. Stop and go on the interstate for miles on end is not the norm. Out of town, the interstates have a 75 MPH limit; that's plenty for me. Driving over that just doesn't save any time realistically in getting to my destination; I've done that math. Plus, driving the speed limit gives me that much more time behind the wheel of an incredible machine. I don't need a 50 gallon tank; my current fuel capacity is greater than my bladder capacity!

Attachments

• NM Gas Mileage.jpg
    NM Gas Mileage.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
It appears the debate has concluded & Cummins has been found as superior. Also it appears gas mileage conclusively varies State by State. This can be verified by my attached pic. As shown, in New Mexico a CTD gets incredible gas mileage. I'm sure everyone will agree this is without dispute, as we all have acknowledged the EVIC is infallible and phenomenally reliable and accurate! While I don't recommend going under 15 MPH in certain areas, on my local streets this never presents a problem, in particular when behind a (s)low rider. :cool:

Ok.... as far as places sucking out one's soul! I find New Mexico to not be that way for me. All politics & current mask wearing policies aside, I've no desire to move. I lived in plenty of States north to south and east to west by the time I was 18. I've traveled to nearly all (except very far NE) in my life. Been in NM since 1982 when transferred here courtesy of the USMC as part of recruiting duty & have literally traveled every road and been in every town in the State (Cloudcroft included per elephantrider's question). I like waking up to clear blue skies; a bad day is when I can't see 100 miles. We have four real seasons. I can open-carry, concealed-carry, or both at the same time. Most of the folks I know agree that gun control means using both hands. The food is great, and we have lots of wide open spaces for "recreating." I can snow ski in the mountains up north and water ski in the south on the same day. Tons of State parks and federal lands to take my camper to. Yesterday the best local diesel price was $3.09 - at a Loves truck stop, no less. My driving habits in town are pretty set - I drive my truck like it's a truck. If I want a speed demon with incredible acceleration to race from red light to red light, I have an Audi A7 in my garage for that. (OK it's my wife's car, but....). The city driving I do usually means never having to wait for more than one light cycle to get through an intersection. I know the regular roads I travel have the lights timed for the speed limit so there's much more moving than stopping. Stop and go on the interstate for miles on end is not the norm. Out of town, the interstates have a 75 MPH limit; that's plenty for me. Driving over that just doesn't save any time realistically in getting to my destination; I've done that math. Plus, driving the speed limit gives me that much more time behind the wheel of an incredible machine. I don't need a 50 gallon tank; my current fuel capacity is greater than my bladder capacity!
That was incredibly well said! I like it. I also live just north of you in Colorado. I love New Mexico and can’t wait to try the Whittington shooting range. Only about 2.5 hrs from me.

Grayson

Reaction score
I live in North Carolina. We have 3 seasons; hot, cold or Who the eff knows today. We use to have 4 but global warming and stuff. We don't have winter fuel, all fuel is the same in this state year round.

We do have the highest fuel taxes but other states are getting closer. Sales tax is at least 7% (larger areas have extra sales tax added)
Property Tax is different here. Inside a city you get taxed by the city and county, rural area is county with local fire department tax.
Heavy equipment, vehicles and boats are 3%. Most of the NC State Troopers don't care about deletes and such but it's known to them and they could cite if you wanted to be a prick.

I live 10 minutes from Virginia(wife is also originally from there) Radar detectors are illegal and they use Spectre RDD to detect the detector, they use front and rear pacing, use VASCAR along with other equipment to enforce traffic laws. Virginia State Police have been trained to check for emissions by different methods and they will. What I hate the most is they require a front and rear license plate for all vehicles.

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
Don't get me started. Our property tax is 6K plus when you add on the fire district special assessment and other special assessment items. I can't stand the government and cost of living in Kalifornia but I do love my area. I can be at the ocean 15 - 20 minutes, at the top of a 6,000 ft mountain in 40 minutes (by dirt even) and in the wide open desert in under 90 minutes. The politicians in the state are ruining the place and I don't see it changing in my lifetime.

Our plan is to leave in a few years and it will be on a boat. Although even that is an issue. The state wants to charge 7.75% sales tax on the boat as well as a property tax. Handing over $70K in sales tax is insane. If we do an offshore delivery the boat has to stay out of CA for at least a year to avoid.
Sounds very much like LA County! I lived in Box Canyon in the San Fernando Valley till late 2013 when I moved to America and escaped Kalif****dupfornia.
But as you said. It is an awesome place. Too bad they made it a different country. You’ll love living in America again when you leave the republic.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

LOL, thread winner.

Which side of Raton Pass was that reset?

We hit Conchas Dam over there by too'encarry as the locals say (Tucumcari) and the NM side of Navajo during the summers. Love it there. Hotter'n' the hubs O hell sometimes.

CharlieL

Reaction score
That was incredibly well said! I like it. I also live just north of you in Colorado. I love New Mexico and can’t wait to try the Whittington shooting range. Only about 2.5 hrs from me.
Thanks for saying so! I've been to the NRA Whittington Center. Didn't personally shoot there, but it's a great range. You aren't that far if but 2.5 hours from Raton. My step-father retired to Colorado Springs, used to visit there regularly back in the 80's and 90's.
LOL, thread winner.

Which side of Raton Pass was that reset?

We hit Conchas Dam over there by too'encarry as the locals say (Tucumcari) and the NM side of Navajo during the summers. Love it there. Hotter'n' the hubs O hell sometimes.
Ha Ha! Glad you appreciate the sarcastic humor. EVIC was reset just after I filled up. I've decided to start comparing EVIC to hand-calculation (i.e. RoadTrip app), so resetting EVIC & Trip A at fillup. Was not half mile from station in town when noticed EVIC was showing 68 MPG while doing 40 (downhill & exhaust braking) & decided to take a pic. By the time I was able to get that pic, I had to slow down for red light.

Yes, it can be hot here at times. Albuquerque doesn't seem to get too very bad, official elevation at ABQ airport is 5,355 feet. I think last Summer we had 4-5 consecutive days 100+. For those who say the heat in AZ is "a dry heat," my response is - my oven is dry; hot is hot!

Last edited:

tchur1

Reaction score
Idk why I just spent an hour reading this thread start to finish but I'm glad I did?

Now that Im here I might as well chime in. I just ordered a 3500 HO Cummins and cant wait for it. Im coming from a 2019 Tundra but just bought a new boat that the Tundra cant handle.

I live in CA. Lake Tahoe specifically and while the gas prices are outrageous, my house has appreciated in value about $200k in the 18 months Ive owned it so its not all bad. I can ski tour our my back door all winter and am on the water in 2 mins. So sure, there is some BS that I dont like but I wouldnt live anywhere else right now.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Idk why I just spent an hour reading this thread start to finish but I'm glad I did?

Now that Im here I might as well chime in. I just ordered a 3500 HO Cummins and cant wait for it. Im coming from a 2019 Tundra but just bought a new boat that the Tundra cant handle.

I live in CA. Lake Tahoe specifically and while the gas prices are outrageous, my house has appreciated in value about $200k in the 18 months Ive owned it so its not all bad. I can ski tour our my back door all winter and am on the water in 2 mins. So sure, there is some BS that I dont like but I wouldnt live anywhere else right now.
Boats are way heavier than a guy thinks, from what I've seen.

tchur1

Reaction score
Boats are way heavier than a guy thinks, from what I've seen.
Yup new wakeboard boats are super heavy. When we upgraded boats it meant truck had to come with it. We’re about 10k pounds depending on fuel on any given day towing.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Yup new wakeboard boats are super heavy. When we upgraded boats it meant truck had to come with it. We’re about 10k pounds depending on fuel on any given day towing.
Due to a series of unfortunate events for a buddy. I had to stop by and pickup his brand new top of the line tige from the boat ramp. On the trailer ready to go. I made the comment it pulled like ****. Wich lead to the inevitable power stroke vs Cummins flame war.

It was then discovered that the ballast tanks and fat sack had not been drained. I don't know how many hundreds of gallons I drug down the highway for no reason.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I knew a Business owner that rebadged a 2500 5.9 V8 to a V10, but never heard of rebadging a Hemi to Cummins. It would be a giveaway as soon as the throttle was pushed or when idling, that would be embarrassing, if someone questioned that.

Grayson

Reaction score
Don't forget to throw a Porsche styled "Turbo" badge on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread