Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi vs Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenhills

Reaction score
Way better? When towing, yes.
Not gonna say way better when not towing.
FWIW I hear first hand experiences of the 6.4 Hemi with 4.10's getting 15.9 mpg on the highway. Apples to oranges, I know of another first had report of a 2020 power stroke getting 17 mpg not towing. He's a lead foot though.
but there 15.9 compared to 17. not exactly waaaay different. If it were 12 and 29, like my old gasser getting 12 mpg vs a 3.0 ecodiesel getting 28, that's waaay better IMO.

Now towing, yes, waay different. Gassers drop to half and diesels just about don't change mpg when towing.
with 37's on my diesel i averaged 13.5-14.5 L/100 KM.

I average 17-19.5 L/100 KM with my hemi truck on 37s.

Not exactly an apple to apple comparison, but the diesel gets significantly better mileage.. and locally, its 15 cents a liter cheaper.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Everyone keeps talking about how long the diesel will last over the gasser.

Yea, the motor may last a 1/2 million miles. But the rest of the truck won't. It will wear out just like the parts in the gasser do.
Yes but most parts that are wear items are nothing to replace it also highly depends on what you are doing with the truck if its crazy amounts of highway miles the rest of the truck wont wear out much……

To the OP honestly it comes down to preference because there will always be an argument for and against diesels as there are many trade offs. For me there were a few counter arguments where i could have been better with a gasser such as with plowing and what not but i tow alot and they had the no charge cummins option so it was a no brainer for me

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Yes but most parts that are wear items are nothing to replace it also highly depends on what you are doing with the truck if its crazy amounts of highway miles the rest of the truck wont wear out much……

To the OP honestly it comes down to preference because there will always be an argument for and against diesels as there are many trade offs. For me there were a few counter arguments where i could have been better with a gasser such as with plowing and what not but i tow alot and they had the no charge cummins option so it was a no brainer for me
Transmissions, axles. gears, interiors, suspension, steering are easy to replace?

They are wear items and will wear out before the motor does.

But again, buy what fits your needs. That's why I drive a Power wagon. :cool:

matemike

Reaction score
Think of this scenario.
You ordered a truck. Built it to your perfection. You waited and waited and now the dealer calls and says your new truck has arrived. You drive down. See it. It's perfect, looks exactly the way you ordered it. You had ordered a gas engine, but it has a diesel! Dealer apologizes for the mistake and offers to not charge for the diesel uptick in price, or maybe only charges for half of the option. The guy who ordered a gas truck will probably accept the diesel engine. He'll live with it and be happy at the end of the day and for many more days to come.

Now reverse the story.
A guy who ordered a diesel engine, receives his new long awaited truck and it has a gas engine. No way he's is accepting that. Even when the dealer would take away the diesel option charge (obviously) and maybe even some more off the sticker price. He's not accepting a gas engine. He'll never be happy. Willing to endure the wait again for a diesel engine dangit! That's what he wants/needs.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Transmissions, axles. gears, interiors, suspension, steering are easy to replace?

They are wear items and will wear out before the motor does.

But again, buy what fits your needs. That's why I drive a Power wagon. :cool:
Really everything is easy to replace depending on your skill set i was a licenced mechanic for a long time and still do it on the side even here in the rust belt its all easy enough even an engine swap…. But no they wont all wear out before an engine depending on how its used and taken care of

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
Lol.. gotta love these threads.

Be hesitant when anyone says "diesel gets WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better mileage!" Wrong. Maybe 10 years ago prior to emissions fascism, not anymore.
It depends on what you consider WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better.
Some of these guys are saying they’re getting 15mpg with their hemi’s. I drove a 2016 ram 4x4 2500 CCSB 6.4L gas and got 11-12mpg just opening and closing the door. With my existing 4x4 2006 QuadCab Long bed 2500 5.9L Cummins with larger tires a 3” lift heavy bumpers and a 12,000lb winch I’m getting between 15-17mph and that’s hand calcuated. So by my correct math that 3-5mpg better right there with a much larger profile and heavier truck. With the new diesel, stock or close, tire size and no lift but same bumpers and winch I’m betting It’ll get better then 15-17. I HEAR that many are getting better then 20mpg with theirs. I’m sure I won’t. I’m relatively a lead footed dude. But if I get 5mph better that’s a bonus.
But I’m getting me a diesel because I want a diesel, they’re awesome and super fun and as someone very wise said on this very forum, “Full chubby=Cummins”. If I worried about burning dinosaurs I’d get a damn prius.
I, being an opinionated dude, think if you get a truck, it is purpose built (and of course should be diesel) and if you want to go fast, get a car. If you want to burn less oil get a prius, if you get a prius, move to a west coast state that borders another country to the south and America to the east and pseudoamerica north, your guess as to where I’m referring to. I lived there, past tense.
Hey Brutal, that’s me not being political. I lived in that state. Beautiful but a tad messed up and I’m just exercising my 1st amendment, so if someone from said screwed up state reports me, tell them to file their grievance elsewhere.
Wow! Reading what I wrote I really am opinionated. I’m ok with that.
I guess if you feel the need to remove this post I understand. I like dinosaurs, hate the prius and LOVE America! All 49 states! Well 48 states. There’s a state in the east that needs change. Bad.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Some of these guys are saying they’re getting 15mpg with their hemi’s. I drove a 2016 ram 4x4 2500 CCSB 6.4L gas and got 11-12mpg just opening and closing the door. With my existing 4x4 2006 QuadCab Long bed 2500 5.9L Cummins with larger tires a 3” lift heavy bumpers and a 12,000lb winch I’m getting between 15-17mph and that’s hand calcuated. So by my correct math that 3-5mpg better right there with a much larger profile and heavier truck. With the new diesel, stock or close, tire size and no lift but same bumpers and winch I’m betting It’ll get better then 15-17. I HEAR that many are getting better then 20mpg with theirs. I’m sure I won’t. I’m relatively a lead footed dude. But if I get 5mph better that’s a bonus.
But I’m getting me a diesel because I want a diesel, they’re awesome and super fun and as someone very wise said on this very forum, “Full chubby=Cummins”. If I worried about burning dinosaurs I’d get a damn prius.
I, being an opinionated dude, think if you get a truck, it is purpose built (and of course should be diesel) and if you want to go fast, get a car. If you want to burn less oil get a prius, if you get a prius, move to a west coast state that borders another country to the south and America to the east and pseudoamerica north, your guess as to where I’m referring to. I lived there, past tense.
Hey Brutal, that’s me not being political. I lived in that state. Beautiful but a tad messed up and I’m just exercising my 1st amendment, so if someone from said screwed up state reports me, tell them to file their grievance elsewhere.
I guess if you feel the need to remove this post I understand. I like dinosaurs, hate the prius and LOVE America! All 49 states! Well 48 states. There’s a state in the east that needs change. Bad.
The only ones getting 20+ avg are the guys who only drive downhill or calculate with UK Gallons

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
key word is "hear" about 20+ mog... read about it on the innerwebz? yup. seen it personally? nope.
Exactly, key word was “hear”. I know I would never see 20 as I wrote I wouldn’t. But I did hear it happens. I’m betting either total bs or they use the on board computer. In California with my existing Diesel I got 13. When I moved to Colorado actually started seeing 15-17. Mostly 15! Thought that was cool. And fuel is WAY less here too. I can find diesel often for $3.13/gal.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Exactly, key word was “hear”. I know I would never see 20 as I wrote I wouldn’t. But I did hear it happens. I’m betting either total bs or they use the on board computer. In California with my existing Diesel I got 13. When I moved to Colorado actually started seeing 15-17. Mostly 15! Thought that was cool. And fuel is WAY less here too. I can find diesel often for $3.13/gal.
I'm saying BS and location or a combo of both. I have a 6.4/4.10 with 35's. I get 13. Good highway cruise. 13.5. I have sqeaked 14/15 out if it. But that was a lot of construction. My duramax only did 15ish while I had it. I will say my duramax only did 2-3mpg better pulling.

80 mph and mountains seems to be about there. On a drive through Oregon on a flat slow road I did the mythical 17.5. Once. In perfect conditions. Going 55 it just chugs along in mds. I suspect the people saying they get high teens, and aren't lying. Are in flat country and drive slow. The others can't admit it gets bad mileage. It's still cheaper to run than my diesels were. So I'm happy.

It's pretty well documented on fuelly the 6.4 is a 12/13mpg motor.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm saying BS and location or a combo of both. I have a 6.4/4.10 with 35's. I get 13. Good highway cruise. 13.5. I have sqeaked 14/15 out if it. But that was a lot of construction. My duramax only did 15ish while I had it. I will say my duramax only did 2-3mpg better pulling.

80 mph and mountains seems to be about there. On a drive through Oregon on a flat slow road I did the mythical 17.5. Once. In perfect conditions. Going 55 it just chugs along in mds. I suspect the people saying they get high teens, and aren't lying. Are in flat country and drive slow. The others can't admit it gets bad mileage. It's still cheaper to run than my diesels were. So I'm happy.

location plays a huge part where i am most of the speed limits are at 50 but you can get away with 60 and lots of cops around so i generally get higher milage than you mericans with your higher speed limits

Greenhills

Reaction score
location plays a huge part where i am most of the speed limits are at 50 but you can get away with 60 and lots of cops around so i generally get higher milage than you mericans with your higher speed limits
This. we aren't doing 85 mph down the road.

Thebuilderman

Reaction score

Not sure if I’m understanding you. Are you telling me I’m full of it?
I got, in Colorado, an average of 11-12mpg with my 6.4L work truck calculated by hand at the pump. Don’t know the gearing as I didn’t own the truck. With MY 2006 CTD in Kalifornia I got 13 and here in Colorado, same truck, I get 15-17. I drive the same. Roads are much better quality here and maybe the higher elevation helps, don’t know.
But those figures are for real and done with a calculator at the pump.

1651Naismith

Reaction score
Not sure if I’m understanding you. Are you telling me I’m full of it?
I got, in Colorado, an average of 11-12mpg with my 6.4L work truck calculated by hand at the pump. Don’t know the gearing as I didn’t own the truck. With MY 2006 CTD in Kalifornia I got 13 and here in Colorado, same truck, I get 15-17. I drive the same. Roads are much better quality here and maybe the higher elevation helps, don’t know.
But those figures are for real and done with a calculator at the pump.
FWIW, I’ve had a consistent 15-17 across two CTDs in Colorado over the last 14 years. I will see a tank above that on long drives through the mountains — usually due to the long downhills. Even from Monument to Denver or DIA I will see 20-21 due to the elevation loss over 40-60 miles. That usually reverts back to the average on the return trip.

Long drives to Dallas or Austin actual drop it to 14-15. I assume the thicker air, propensity to use the skinny pedal in west Texas, west Texas winds, and minimal hills (compared to CO) all contribute to the decreased mileage.

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
FWIW, I’ve had a consistent 15-17 across two CTDs in Colorado over the last 14 years. I will see a tank above that on long drives through the mountains — usually due to the long downhills. Even from Monument to Denver or DIA I will see 20-21 due to the elevation loss over 40-60 miles. That usually reverts back to the average on the return trip.

Long drives to Dallas or Austin actual drop it to 14-15. I assume the thicker air, propensity to use the skinny pedal in west Texas, west Texas winds, and minimal hills (compared to CO) all contribute to the decreased mileage.
See! Me too. I live in Larkspur Colorado just north of Monument and I’m thinking it’s gotta be the elevation and thinner air. But I’m getting 15-17 too.

matemike

Reaction score
Down right love this post!
Get a truck for you to do what you want! Let others get theirs.
America gives you THAT option, so Love America damnit!

Disagreement in 3...2...1
Wanna go fast?, get a crotch rocket. I rode trackdays and did practice/mock racing for 8 years on sport bikes. Twisty tracks, dragging knee at triple digit speeds. No other thrill like it in the world.

Let trucks be trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread