Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi vs Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.

matemike

Reaction score
your not taking into account the def saving quite a few folks get over the life of truck :D
I mentioned DEF. but just a mention. because I have no experience with it. don't know how much it costs or how often you have to fill it. But I rounded it in there somewhere.

jetrinka

Reaction score
<<<Our dog Gus wanted the Power Wagon so he could feel cool and ride higher up than the other non-Power Wagon dogs. (he may have short man syndrome but I didn't say that....) So the Hemi was his choice.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I crunched some numbers today just for the mere sake of crunching numbers. I'm sure this has been done before. But here it is:
With today's gas prices on google, I found Us avg price of gas to be $3.38/gal and diesel to be $3.62/gal. And let's say the gas truck gets 15 mpg and the diesel gets 20 mpg. this is obviously pulled out of my a$$ and not taking into account any towing, especially anything heavy. just driving.

$3.38/15mpg for gas gives a price of 0.225 per mile
$3.62/20mpg for diesel gives a price of 0.181 per mile

So a gas truck costs $22,500 (in fuel alone) to drive 100,000 miles
A diesel truck costs $18,100 (in fuel alone) to drive 100,000 miles

$22,500 - $18,100 = $4,400

that's a $4400 difference costing more to drive the gas truck every 100,000 miles (in fuel alone)

But let's not forget, today's price for identical Ram trucks, it costs $9400 more to get the diesel (not H.O.)

$9400/$4400 = 2.14

2.14 x 100,000 miles = 214,000 miles

214,000 x .225 = $48,150 for gas
214,000 x .181 = $38,7334 + $9400 = $48,134 for diesel

You have to drive a diesel truck 214,000 miles until an identical truck with gas engine costs the same out of pocket on fuel and sticker together to also drive 214,00 miles for all things to be equal.

Of course, not all things are equal. The diesel will get much better mpg when towing. so let's round the whole thing down to 175,000 miles being the break even point for gas/diesel costs.

But then again, diesels need DEF. I don't know how much it is, but that's an expense that goes 100% to the diesel. So let's round it back up to 200,000 miles being the break even point.

And lastly every 5000 miles a truck needs an oil change. 200,000 miles. each truck has needed 40 oil changes.
40 x $150 for diesel = $6,000
40 x $75 for gas = $3,000

Oil change numbers also pulled from my a$$. not gonna figure all that in again.

But there you have it, to run a diesel truck ~200,000 miles is the break even point to run an identical gas truck same distance when it comes to money spent. Are you going to keep your diesel for 200,000 miles?

The diesel is obviously an upgrade. It's better at pulling, strength, longevity and resale...all that. So if that's what you are gonna do, then get the diesel. If you're not going to tow at all, or very little, get the diesel anyway but keep it for a quarter million miles so you can say it was the smarter decision financially.

You also need to consider the residual value of the truck. The diesel will have a much higher resale value. When I sold my 2007 last year I got over 8K more than gas trucks were selling for. Very hard to find an apple to apple comparison though. It was also a crazy market.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
And lastly every 5000 miles a truck needs an oil change. 200,000 miles. each truck has needed 40 oil changes.
40 x $150 for diesel = $6,000
40 x $75 for gas = $3,000

get the diesel anyway but keep it for a quarter million miles so you can say it was the smarter decision financially.
diesel oil change is 15,000miles so for 200,000 km the 150$ oilchange is 1950$ for the 13.3333 oilchanges it requires the gas is 7500miles per so oil change cost works out identical….. and 200,000miles is just the start of the diesels life also dont forget the extra cost for the diesel will usually also be returned with the higher sale price……

dirtman5

Reaction score
matemike, Great write up, I just traded my 6-year- 64,000-mile 2015 Chevy LTZ dually, in for a 2022 Larmie 6.2 Gas 2500 long bed air ride. WHY, removed 2 extra. tires, removed 6.500 LBS. of towing load, 4,000 LBS payload, to a reduced towing load of 9,500 LBS. to payload of 1,800 LBS. So, FOR ME with only putting only 10,600 miles on in a year i could not justify $9,700. motor, So, thank you for all that information that I clearly made the right decision.

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
Looking into a 2022.
would you rather go Hemi or Cummins?
I’m sure this is gonna be a bust but…
So for me.
I love my diesel. I’ve had a diesel since 1990 and for a few years, from ‘94-’97 I had a gasser. Gasser was great but as someone mentioned on this thread, the grin you get from driving a diesel is priceless to me.
I love the low end and how when you approach any grade nothing changes. You just go. No gassing the crap out of it.
I loved how I can pull stumps or the couple times I had to pull a loaded 10yard dump truck out of the mud with just an idle. I also have been riding off road bikes and quads. I’ve had to pull tons of folks and their rigs out of sand or mud. Also when hauling huge (overloaded) loads in just the bed up hills. Diesel doesn’t care and I would have blown my gasser. The hill took out a Case backhoe. Didn’t phase the ‘91 Cummins.
At least for now Diesel in Colorado is about .20-.30 cents a gallon less. To do an oil change costs me $100. I don’t know how long a gas truck lasts nowadays but a diesel lasts for at least 400,000 miles. I get much better mileage and don’t have to go to the pump as much as I do driving a gasser. I don’t drive like an old lady. I also want a truck that has much more capability then I need for those times when I need it. Especially if you tow a lot then it’s a no brainer.
To me the diesel is pure power. I’ve also off roaded my Cummins a bunch. It doesn’t matter how steep your driving. Low gear and idle and the only thing that limits you is traction and truck size.
It is much much more responsive for low speeds, you don’t lose traction and it is happy driving any speed any where then my old gasser. Gasser liked going fast. It wasn’t thrilled driving speed limits. Diesel was just happy as was it’s owner!
No comparison regarding resale values.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
diesel oil change is 15,000miles so for 200,000 km the 150$ oilchange is 1950$ for the 13.3333 oilchanges it requires the gas is 7500miles per so oil change cost works out identical….. and 200,000miles is just the start of the diesels life also dont forget the extra cost for the diesel will usually also be returned with the higher sale price……
Don't forget the fuel filters...

Christofo

Reaction score
You also need to consider the residual value of the truck. The diesel will have a much higher resale value. When I sold my 2007 last year I got over 8K more than gas trucks were selling for. Very hard to find an apple to apple comparison though. It was also a crazy market.
But it costs over 8k more when you buy it new?

406Linetrash

Reaction score
$9400 for the standard output. But as he said you get it back.
To me, you not making the point. You said he got it back. If a hemi used goes for 8k less than a diesel. Wich cost 9400 more. He lost 1400 more bucks than the hemi did.

I'm genuinely asking. Not trying to argue. Did I miss something.

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
To me, you not making the point. You said he got it back. If a hemi used goes for 8k less than a diesel. Wich cost 9400 more. He lost 1400 more bucks than the hemi did.

I’m not being exact and was rounding I guess but $1400 isn’t a big difference when you talk years of owning a Cummins diesel. But the original dude who did his calcs, Matemike, suggested a diesel will sell used for at least 8k more than the gasser. I believe it. My existing 2006 Laramie 4x4 with 141,000 miles with the 5.9 CTD will probably get me 30k! Granted that it has the old 5.9 HO without the emission crap but still I doubt it would get 30k if it was gas.
Plus you get a diesel! Nothing like a diesel! I don’t even tow much and would not buy a gas truck. I just love my Cummins! Them Hemi’s are sweet too but not my thang.

CharlieL

Reaction score

I think it’s important to put it in perspective. The way I read it, a 14 year old diesel was valued $8k more than a similar trim 14 year old gasser. I don’t know the cost difference between the two 14 years ago. If my truck in 14 years has an $8k higher value than a gasser, then the depreciation on the $9.4k of only $1.4k would seem pretty good to me. I would never expect the “diesel difference” on resale comparison to always be the MSRP of the diesel engine.

As others have mentioned, pros and cons for either. I considered many factors in going with my first diesel. Glad I did. Having a switch for engine brake……priceless!

Last edited:

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
I think it’s important to put it in perspective. The way I read it, a 14 year old diesel was valued $8k more than a similar trim 14 year old gasser. I don’t know the cost difference between the two 14 years ago. If my truck in 14 years has an $8k higher value than a gasser, then the depreciation on the $9.4k of only $1.4k would seem pretty good to me. I would never expect the “diesel difference” on resale comparison to always be the MSRP of the diesel engine.

As others have mentioned, pros and cons for either. I considered many factors in going with my first diesel. Glad I did. Having a switch for engine brake……priceless!
Good point. Going by memory I kind of remember the cost difference with the diesel back in 2006 was only about 5k. No engine brake in back then although in tow/haul mode you get tranny braking.
But even if it was a 1400 difference when you sell it’s still well worth it. When I look at a truck I don’t even consider gas.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Regardless of choice they both have advantages over the other. The Diesel option has a higher cost and higher maintenance costs. But WOW, when I hook up my 34’ 5ver I’m damn glad I bought the Diesel option even more thankful it’s the HO with Aisin Trans.

If I only owned just the pontoon, and not both, the Hemi would be the better choice in HP and maintenance costs.The reason I referenced HP is because the lighter loads don’t need the higher TQ, they need HP and the lower Torque ratings will be sufficient when TQ is needed.

Good luck in your choice.

matemike

Reaction score
Gas trucks get crappy mileage. Diesel gets way better mileage.
Way better? When towing, yes.
Not gonna say way better when not towing.
FWIW I hear first hand experiences of the 6.4 Hemi with 4.10's getting 15.9 mpg on the highway. Apples to oranges, I know of another first had report of a 2020 power stroke getting 17 mpg not towing. He's a lead foot though.
but there 15.9 compared to 17. not exactly waaaay different. If it were 12 and 29, like my old gasser getting 12 mpg vs a 3.0 ecodiesel getting 28, that's waaay better IMO.

Now towing, yes, waay different. Gassers drop to half and diesels just about don't change mpg when towing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread