Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi vs Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsboening

Reaction score
You do you! The Hemi is a lot of fun, I just could not handle the 7 mpg on the way to my land with the tractor. It held the speed but I swear it never shifter above 4th gear and it was stuck in high RPM's :)
Was that with the eight speed? My 1500 5.7 with 8 speed will tow 8k all day long in 7th with the occasional drop to 6th. That’s at 70-75mph.

hunterjoe

Reaction score
You do you! The Hemi is a lot of fun, I just could not handle the 7 mpg on the way to my land with the tractor. It held the speed but I swear it never shifter above 4th gear and it was stuck in high RPM's :)
Yeah, I wouldn't be able to handle that either. But I don't have that tractor so..... My one gripe, whether it be the Hemi or Cummins is the 31 gallon tank in the MC. Come on!!!! I honestly couldn't care less about the MPG I get but the range is important. If you're going to make a truck that gets 10 MPG better have a big tank.

Jsboening

Reaction score
2021 Rebel with 8 speed
That’s sounds like it was broken. 4th gear? What rear end 3.92? I’ve towed 10k with mine and it would never go down the high way in 4th unless I was mashing the throttle up hill.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't be able to handle that either. But I don't have that tractor so..... My one gripe, whether it be the Hemi or Cummins is the 31 gallon tank in the MC. Come on!!!! I honestly couldn't care less about the MPG I get but the range is important. If you're going to make a truck that gets 10 MPG better have a big tank.

It could be worse, my Pop's GMC get less than that towing his trailer and has a 23? gallon tank.
I was about to get that Titan side-saddle tank but thought about my topper, don't want fumes to blow us up.

Lerker

Reaction score
So I had a few days to track my daily commute (unloaded) and driving like a sane person. Calculations were better than expected and the HAND CALCULATIONS indicated almost 10% error from the EVIC (expected). My original message was "
MegaStro said: Just going to and from work (34 miles one way) I am able to get 19-21.5 mpg hand calculated with my 2500 4x4 Megacab. Hands down better MPG than any 6.4 I have seen. Yes gas / fuel cost is different. Yes maintenance can be a bit more expensive. No way the hemi can hang heavy load at the 14-17mpg I get towing and no second guessing if I have enough power.."

20.5 average falls in my window of 19-21.5 pretty well.

So here is my real world "FAIRYTALE" numbers (with pictures for those who like picture proof):
View attachment 36756

MIC DROP!

But you're looking at it all wrong, Master Sergeant! Here's another way to look at it:

* On that tank of fuel you showed us, you paid $0.232 per mile.
* I would have paid $0.235 cents per mile. (17mpg, $4/gal for 87 octane)

So you're cheaper to drive by $0.003/mile. Nice.

Do you realize you'd have to drive 3,198,333 miles to break even on that $9,595 Cummins engine?

And what exactly are you pulling that justifies the Cummins option that my HEMI couldn't pull?

(I am a dumb Marine, so my math is probably way off. Or is it???)

kevin588127

Reaction score
That’s sounds like it was broken. 4th gear? What rear end 3.92? I’ve towed 10k with mine and it would never go down the high way in 4th unless I was mashing the throttle up hill.
Something up for sure. My 1500 hemi cc with 8 speed and 3.92 gets 7-8 mpg pulling a 10k 28' toy hauler. Pulling my 10k car trailer fully loaded it pulls great and got 9-10 mpg. My problem was payload. If I went with the diesel 2500, I would again be looking at payload issues.

Jsboening

Reaction score
Something up for sure. My 1500 hemi cc with 8 speed and 3.92 gets 7-8 mpg pulling a 10k 28' toy hauler. Pulling my 10k car trailer fully loaded it pulls great and got 9-10 mpg. My problem was payload. If I went with the diesel 2500, I would again be looking at payload issues.
A hemi on the highway in fourth gear would be screaming. I guess I can see getting 7mpg.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
But you're looking at it all wrong, Master Sergeant! Here's another way to look at it:

Do you realize you'd have to drive 3,198,333 miles to break even on that $9,595 Cummins engine?

And what exactly are you pulling that justifies the Cummins option that my HEMI couldn't pull?

Except when it comes time for you both to sell your trucks and he gets his $9595 back (or more) and you get nothing.

Which one was cheaper to operate then?

Im just a dumb trucker, so maybe im way off.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Except when it comes time for you both to sell your trucks and he gets his $9595 back (or more) and you get nothing.

Which one was cheaper to operate then?

Im just a dumb trucker, so maybe im way off.
He also didn't include an extra 5qts of oil per change and 2 fuel filters at every change.
Depending on what you're doing you may come out ahead at 100-150k miles, that also depends on fuel prices too. If diesel is cheaper than gas it can make it harder to justify...regardless, I believe if you're towing literally every day then the diesel will pay for itself(of course providing you own it long enough).

gimmie11s

Reaction score
He also didn't include an extra 5qts of oil per change and 2 fuel filters at every change.
Depending on what you're doing you may come out ahead at 100-150k miles, that also depends on fuel prices too. If diesel is cheaper than gas it can make it harder to justify...regardless, I believe if you're towing literally every day then the diesel will pay for itself(of course providing you own it long enough).

All I needed was ONE 6% grade to realize having your foot planted to the floor waiting for a rod to fly out of the block while towing with gas--Is not a good time.

I'll pay whatever I need to pay to not have the experience. Pretty simple.

tchur1

Reaction score
All I needed was ONE 6% grade to realize having your foot planted to the floor waiting for a rod to fly out of the block while towing with gas--Is not a good time.

I'll pay whatever I need to pay to not have the experience. Pretty simple.
I agree, at some point its not about cost and its about having the right (in my brain) tool for the job. I live at 7k feet in the mountains and am constantly pulling 6%+ grades. Ive done it with a gasser and it sucks. It gets the job done but it sucks so ill pay whatever amount they want to charge for a diesel. Purely for my own desire, whether its justified with numbers or not.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Wait, you all mean to tell me its not what is "best" or makes the most financial sense but more about what a person "needs" or "wants" in a truck?! Can't be!!!

(don't let the sarcasm kick you on the way out....)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thats covered in the cummins going 2x the miles per oil change… 15k miles vs the hemis 7500miles… i also tow over the hemi towing cap so that alone makes the hemi useless to me

tchur1

Reaction score
Wait, you all mean to tell me its not what is "best" or makes the most financial sense but more about what a person "needs" or "wants" in a truck?! Can't be!!!

(don't let the sarcasm kick you on the way out....)
What a concept haha

mcspeed

Reaction score
Buying a diesel to save money is the equivalent to $40,000 worth of solar panels to save $20 a month on your electric bill.

Once you drive a HD diesel, it’s hard to go back to a screaming gasser no matter how much money you save!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riddick

Reaction score

I think you are looking at it wrong. If you read back a few posts someone was claiming the Fuelly average for diesels was around 15.5. This is clearly wrong as several of us have hand calculated mileage to be 20 plus.

Not sure why you started posting fuel prices to defend the hemi. Maybe you should stick to crayons and coloring books Marine..... (military
joke... If you have served, you get it ).

MegaStro

Reaction score
Wow, this has blown up since I last checked in... Love the rib poking. I never said one time I was buying the Cummins to save money on fuel. I love the power loaded/unloaded, never have to question its pulling power. I use it twice a year to haul a tractor 600+ miles. My post simply was to show the Cummins can get better than the posted numbers of another (Fuelly average ). To each their own! I posted "real world" numbers

Grumpyoldbast!?¥

Reaction score
6.4 cam=$1600, lifter=$400 per set(done twice). A new long block is $5500+$2000 core before install costs. I’ve done this math a time or two and am not going to do it again. Emissions is going to be my next expensive hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread