Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having trouble filling tank

Ron045

Reaction score
Last half a dozen fills have been challenging. I have been to different pumps at different stations and the pump keeps clicking off every gallon or two.

Research leads me to believe that air is either trapped in the tank/line or Maybe a sensor is bad?

Are there any simple actions I can take before dragging it down to the dealer for a look? Truck is under warranty, but I'd hate to pay the deductible if I can perform the fix myself.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Last half a dozen fills have been challenging. I have been to different pumps at different stations and the pump keeps clicking off every gallon or two.

Research leads me to believe that air is either trapped in the tank/line or Maybe a sensor is bad?

Are there any simple actions I can take before dragging it down to the dealer for a look? Truck is under warranty, but I'd hate to pay the deductible if I can perform the fix myself.
There is no deductible for warranty work….
The tank is not venting so the vent is likely plugged

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I just tilt the pump handle up until it gives a small gap at the bottom where the rubber nozzle cover contacts the tank filler neck for more air to escape. Works fine.
If they still had the old school nozzles without that rubber vent boot, there wouldnt be a problem.
My truck has been doing that since day one.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I just tilt the pump handle up until it gives a small gap at the bottom where the rubber nozzle cover contacts the tank filler neck for more air to escape. Works fine.
If they still had the old school nozzles without that rubber vent boot, there wouldnt be a problem.
My truck has been doing that since day one.
You should NOT have to do that

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I agree.
It all depends on which pump I use and how many other are using pumps when I am.

It all has to do with delivery pressure.

That and Kommieforina and their CARB rules for gas vapors.

Nick

Reaction score
Shouldn't do that . I have used the large truck stop nozzles many times without problems and regular size nozzles I put on high every time , never a problem .

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Where you fill up, does it have the big rubber boot to capture the fumes and put them back into the storage tanks?

A regular nozzle, I have no problems with. But the ones in Kommieforina I do.

dtsequeira

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing, I pull the vapor recover piece back and create a bigger gap . PITA for sure. I'm in California, I'm guessing the huge vapor recovery boot creates too much of a seal on the Ram gassers. This never happens on my 4Runner.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I have only had issues with one pump at a certain gas station. All others have been fine. I just avoid that station now.

BaseBD

Reaction score
Happens to me more often than not on 6.4 hemi as well. Pain in the butt to hold the nozzle for 45 gallons.

Reaction score
I thought it was the pump.
Just picked up a '22 2500 about 2 weeks ago.
Last week I was on half tank (50 gal tank), and the 1st few gallons had me using choice words in public, and kinda loud. LOL
I figure the vent is too small, doubt it is clogged.
TX, BTW, none of that stupid CARB crap here.

sanda

Reaction score
This is a common problem on Rams and requires a trip to the dealer.

Mike67

Reaction score

Like the others said, if you're using the "auto fill" on the pump, you have to keep the back of the pump handle up forcing the nozzle down. Unfortunately this is a "known" issue and that's what most of us do.

Ron045

Reaction score
Like the others said, if you're using the "auto fill" on the pump, you have to keep the back of the pump handle up forcing the nozzle down. Unfortunately this is a "known" issue and that's what most of us do.
It's ironic that you posted this today. I live in PA where we pump our own. I was in NJ yesterday where it is against the law to pump your own. I was concerned about the fill up and mentioned to the attendant he might have difficulty. The attendant must know about the problem too and said, "With these Rams, you need to put the nozzle in upside down".

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It's ironic that you posted this today. I live in PA where we pump our own. I was in NJ yesterday where it is against the law to pump your own. I was concerned about the fill up and mentioned to the attendant he might have difficulty. The attendant must know about the problem too and said, "With these Rams, you need to put the nozzle in upside down".
Illegal to pump your own gas? What kind of stupidity is that?

Users who are viewing this thread