Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

has anybody used the HaulGauge Mobile Tongue Weight and Payload Scale

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I got the Haul Gauge early this week and sent it back after finding out the Curt Betterweigh has a lifetime warranty, the Haul Gauge only 1 year. Crazy since Curt owns both companies. I was impressed with the device. It was super easy to set up , it detected my VIN and away we went. I know the curb weight of my truck empty, combined with the estimated weight of people, dog and usual gear I carry I think it was pretty dang close. I haven’t had a chance to try it out with the trailer on the bumper yet. I’ll post back on results when I do.
I would be interested to know how accurate is regarding pin weight which impacts payload. If it's pretty accurate in that regard, I may consider getting the BetterWeigh.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
I did go with the Curt Betterweigh because of warranty. It’s accurate with truck and cargo but still haven’t had the chance to hook up the TT yet. I know the tongue weight specs are supposed to be. Once I test out I’ll post back. I’m not sure if anyone else on here has tried their 5th wheel to give you a pin weight capability assessment on how it performs.

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
I have never seen this, thanks for posting. I may give it a try. I don't think I'll ever exceed the limits of my truck, but I like data.

slimchance

Reaction score
see my post #13 in this thread ..... i do think it would work better with a 1500 because it would sag more and that is one thing the sensors look at ... my 2500 needs LOTS of weight to sag ... even when hooking up my 5er it only sags about 1/2"

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
The storage lot for our TT opened up this week and I was able to get to it yesterday. I deployed the better weigh device and was absolutely shocked at the results. We bought the TT in February, put it in storage and then the pandemic hit. We didn’t even have the chance to load it with our stuff. Given that it’s empty, 9058 lbs, the only additional weight should be the propane tanks which are full. The factory advertises the tongue weight as 1130 lbs, it ended up being 1400 lbs. I had about 100 lbs of gear in the bed, the wife and I were outside. Pretty amazing discrepancy from what the factory estimate is. Of course that was without the weight distribution hitch bars on. I’m also having air bags installed this week and will update the math once I do. That much weight caused the suspension to squat almost 3 full inches. Goes to show you how much the WDH works for you.

I was impressed with the Better Weigh, I had calibrated it and then removed it. I put it back in the OBDC and found there’s no need to recalibrate, it held its zero. Pretty amazing device. Will definitely be useful when we load it for weight and distribution to make sure we don’t get it too heavy on the front.

967AAF5D-D5D6-46C8-90AD-48EBAC319EDC.png

Last edited:

scrmblr2

Reaction score
Just saw something on the hall gauge. Any updates from those using it? For 40 bucks……I would likely go that route compared to the 80-90 for the curt. Not sure a lifetime warranty is necessary in my situaion

Billcf7

Reaction score
Just saw something on the hall gauge. Any updates from those using it? For 40 bucks……I would likely go that route compared to the 80-90 for the curt. Not sure a lifetime warranty is necessary in my situaion
Works great for setting up weight distribution

scrmblr2

Reaction score
Fyi\update
I ordered the haul gauge. Will be checkin it out this weekend as I have a race I need to tow car to. Will try to remember getting some screen shots from the app along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread