Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grille Lights from Rough Country

sootrat

Reaction score
Has anyone made these fit the 2500 tradesman yet? I really like the look but don't want to order them and then cant get them installed.
Thanks!

rossagge

Reaction score
That kit if for a 1500, unless you're asking if anyone has modified them to fit the 2500, otherwise it won't simply fit.

sootrat

Reaction score
That kit if for a 1500, unless you're asking if anyone has modified them to fit the 2500, otherwise it won't simply fit.
I was asking if anyone has modified it to fit. I’m not opposed to doing some modifications as long as it’s not too in depth. Thanks!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I just bought a set and am going to fab them in. I might not use their bracket but ordered the light package with bracket. Lights are definitely bright when I tested them on my jumper pack. There is a guy that did it in the reviews on amazon.

Make a post when you do if you don't mind. I don't really do the sort of off-roading that needs a light bar anymore, but some out of the way flood lights would come in handy out at the property at night.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Not a bad idea but would be completely useless here for the diesels as the winter front would cover them during the time of year you need them lol

chas0218

Reaction score
Make a post when you do if you don't mind. I don't really do the sort of off-roading that needs a light bar anymore, but some out of the way flood lights would come in handy out at the property at night.
Yeah same, I'll post what I end up doing. I'm probably not going to be putting them in for a little while until it warms up a little at least. I need to get the grille out then I can work on it inside. Maybe in the next few weeks I can get after it.
Just adding a screenshot from @chas0218 find. I think these would look pretty great on a Tradesman grille.
View attachment 50137
good call
Not a bad idea but would be completely useless here for the diesels as the winter front would cover them during the time of year you need them lol
yeah it would only be a nice weather thing for diesels but with my hemi it would be nice.

I too don't do a lot of off roading where I need flood lights in every direction but I figured it would be nice to have a front flood aside from the headlights. Fogs are nice but they all put beams out in front of the truck and not much light near the truck. I like that they are out of the way and tucked in where they shouldn't get ripped off.

chas0218

Reaction score
Got it done today. Wasn't to bad really. Hardest part was taking the grille out. This is not something you can do with the grill installed. I took my time and taped off all my chrome and everything so i didn't ding them up.

I was a little nervous cutting out the back of the "nostrils" but took my time and used my soldering iron. I couldn't get in there real well with any sort of saw. I took off about 3/4" on the taller side and about 1/2" on the shorter side.

I didn't use any of their rear brackets i ended up drilling thru the grill and fastening thru the front bracket and into the grille which of course i didn't get any pictures of.

I routed the wires across to the center and came upright by the hood latch with the connectors so I can just disconnect right there if need be.

I did have to cut the front "bracket/filler" piece to fit the nostrilthen just copied it for the other side.

All in all I think it came out alright. Overall time was about 4.5 hrs including wiring, which was cake with the factory aux switches. 20230212_143056.jpg20230212_143106.jpg20230212_143109.jpg20230212_143118.jpg20230212_143121.jpg20230212_144236.jpg20230212_144243.jpg20230212_144247.jpg20230212_161927.jpgScreenshot_20230212_200946_Snapchat.jpg

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Got it done today. Wasn't to bad really. Hardest part was taking the grille out. This is not something you can do with the grill installed. I took my time and taped off all my chrome and everything so i didn't ding them up.

I was a little nervous cutting out the back of the "nostrils" but took my time and used my soldering iron. I couldn't get in there real well with any sort of saw. I took off about 3/4" on the taller side and about 1/2" on the shorter side.

I didn't use any of their rear brackets i ended up drilling thru the grill and fastening thru the front bracket and into the grille which of course i didn't get any pictures of.

I routed the wires across to the center and came upright by the hood latch with the connectors so I can just disconnect right there if need be.

I did have to cut the front "bracket/filler" piece to fit the nostrilthen just copied it for the other side.

All in all I think it came out alright. Overall time was about 4.5 hrs including wiring, which was cake with the factory aux switches. View attachment 51886View attachment 51887View attachment 51888View attachment 51889View attachment 51890View attachment 51891View attachment 51892View attachment 51893View attachment 51894View attachment 51895
Appreciate you taking the pictures ! When it comes time to swap my laramie reflectors for limited adaptive projectors I'll be doing this as well since I've gotta pull the grill anyhow.

chas0218

Reaction score
These things are bright! I have the halogen reflector headlights and with the high beam and low beam on the Rough Country lights are bright enough so you can't barely see the beam from the main headlights. These are no joke compared to the Nilight stuff I've bought in the past and seem like a nice quality light, the housing is stout and heavy. Longevity wise we will see how long they last but I think for the money they are a good buy.

44Dan44

Reaction score
These things are bright! I have the halogen reflector headlights and with the high beam and low beam on the Rough Country lights are bright enough so you can't barely see the beam from the main headlights. These are no joke compared to the Nilight stuff I've bought in the past and seem like a nice quality light, the housing is stout and heavy. Longevity wise we will see how long they last but I think for the money they are a good buy.
Thanks for the review and great pics. I was 100% going to get these but they changed the headlights 22-23 on the Tradesman (without chrome package) and while I do prefer the black bezel on the 23 it has me second guessing the Rough Country grille lights, if they will look weird (meaning less blacked out than) next to the black bezel headlights. I think this is going to have to be a case of get truck and lights in hand and then decide to install or not. I have the LED fogs on hand already.

QNYVYNH5C4PEGYDE4FAAXKXJCU-cr-1400.jpg

ec4e6b40f69df9832f68763c258b8850x.jpg

chas0218

Reaction score
Thanks for the review and great pics. I was 100% going to get these but they changed the headlights 22-23 on the Tradesman (without chrome package) and while I do prefer the black bezel on the 23 it has me second guessing the Rough Country grille lights, if they will look weird (meaning less blacked out than) next to the black bezel headlights. I think this is going to have to be a case of get truck and lights in hand and then decide to install or not. I have the LED fogs on hand already.

View attachment 51920

View attachment 51921
I would think that it would look good still long as you get the black and not chrome. The bezel is black no matter what but the inside of the light will be either chrome or black. I used the truck bed liner on the bezel after cutting it to fit.

I changed out my headlight halogen bulbs to LED bulbs and with these it's like day time. I would not use these in a normal driving scenario you WILL blind oncoming traffic.

Last edited:

44Dan44

Reaction score
Many thanks to @chas0218 for bushwhacking the trail here on the forum to let us know this mod and light kit, designed for 1500s is possible on HD trucks. With his kind permission, I hope to improve the trail for the next guy with the pics and details that follow.

Obviously step 1 is grille removal, for an easy to follow pictorial on that process look here
https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/dans-2023-2500-tradesman-unlimited.14060/post-264600

And that will be the last part of this mod that I refer to as easy! This mod takes time, patience, multiple tools, attention to detail, and the heart of a champion. Having said that, I love the results and I’d do it again.

Step 2. Once you have the grille free from the truck, you’ll need to separate the outer shell from the grille structure. Secured by a handful of screws and many press clips. Here are front and back views of the grille and shell separated. A large, padded work surface is essential here or you may scratch your RAM letters.
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG

You can go ahead and remove these trim pieces now as well, press clips again, and these trim pieces will be in your way for fitting up the lights.
IMG_1606.JPG

44Dan44

Reaction score
Here is the kit, as mentioned by @chas0218 you won't be able to use any of brackets for this installation. The yellow tape on the face plates give you an indication of how much of the face plates you will need to chop off.
IMG_1595.JPG

Step 3 Get to cutting plastic!

You are attempting to fit a 25mm light bar into a 15mm slot (same is required for 1500s). The lower you cut, the wider the slot becomes. Fortunately, you only need to split the difference and get to roughly 21mm as the vertical cutting will take over priority for a good fitment and the slot being tight ends up being a good thing.
IMG_1617.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG
IMG_1619 2.JPG

Here is a rough idea of the vertical measurement/cutting away of material I mentioned will take over your priority concerning fitment.
Make YELLOW and above go away. Precise measurements on next post.
IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_1626.JPG

Last edited:

44Dan44

Reaction score
@chas0218 said earlier in the thread that he cut away ¾" on the taller side and ½" on the shorter side. That is 100% correct but I will present the opposite measurement of what you should leave behind after cutting which is simply easier photographically and should be easier for you to mark off and apply a tape line. Leave behind 1" on the tall side and ⅜" on the short side.
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG

Apply masking tape at your measurements to guide you while cutting.
IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG

Can't recommend enough these Dremel mini cutoff blades.
IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG

Last edited:

44Dan44

Reaction score
IMG_1636.JPG

If using a rotary tool with blade like I used take note of the low side corner, stop short and finish with a hacksaw blade.
IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG

IMG_1639.JPG

De-boogered.
IMG_1642.JPG
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_1643.JPG

Last edited:

44Dan44

Reaction score
Congrats on your plastic cutting, don't be too concerned if you mess up a bit, everywhere you just cut is hidden. You won't have that luxury on the next step. :oops:

On to Step 4: Get to cutting Metal!
It's time to take your time. The cover / trim plate you are about to cut is visible when you are done. I thought briefly of not using the plate but the install would look very unfinished without them.

Designed for Ram 1500
IMG_1649.JPG

Yellow tape represents what needs to go away.

IMG_1652.JPG

As you can see one end will not sit flush without cutting.
IMG_1650.JPG

And the other end would hang out the sides of the truck
IMG_1651.JPG

Go ahead and attach the trim plate to the light for test fitting. The alignment of the mount holes on the plate in correlation to the grille is critical.
IMG_1654.JPG

Where the mount holes line up after you've cut the metal trim plate is important. Take a peak through the holes and see what you are dealing with BEFORE you cut.
IMG_1658.JPG
IMG_1657.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread