Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

Will_T

Reaction score
Is it normal for the truck to require a pre-heat when the ambient is between 40 - 50? Lately my truck, while parked inside, will have delayed start while the diesel heats and its nowhere near freezing.
Not sure what is "normal" but sometimes my truck will preheat when the outside temp is 50 or 60. Other times it might be 48 and it will start immediately. Those examples are all first starts of the day.

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
Leave the control cable plugged into the relay. This is a connector with two light wires. No codes are set as long as this stays connected. Disconnect the heavy cable that connects the battery positive on the passenger side battery. I just taped the connector and covered it with a bit of pipe wrap to keep it from rattling. It is stiff enough so it doesn't go anywhere. The computer doesn't know if the grid heater is working or not. No codes are set.View attachment 52109
Thank you for this. I just did the same thing to mine. I'll see how it likes it in the cold later this week.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My 2022 5500 lives in my shop. Its primary use is to haul my camper, and I don’t have a trip planned for months. Would I be better just completely disconnecting both of the batteries? And reconnecting only if I need to move it until the recall can be completed? Is there any consequences to the new computer driven generation truck being completely dead?

The computer may forget what options are installed until it sees them again. I’ve had batteries disconnected for at little at 20 minutes and the truck forgot it has lots of options for a couple starts.

Equipment likes to be driven. A few occasional times sitting for months is okay, but as a general rule you shouldn’t let it sit that long between drives. Fire it up and drive it every 30 days for 20+ miles to get everything hot.

Is it normal for the truck to require a pre-heat when the ambient is between 40 - 50? Lately my truck, while parked inside, will have delayed start while the diesel heats and its nowhere near freezing.

Yes. The temp Ram has historically used for intake air heater use is 66°F in the intake.

Last edited:

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I also got a recall notice from Carfax today for my 3500 with same info stating parts not available for the fix.
Recall number 13A
2021-2023 Ram Heavy Duty Grid Heater Relay.
Hello,

The grid heater recall has not been released to the public just yet, we will be providing more information once we get some further feedback.

William
Ram Cares

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't realize they changed from a relay in '19 to a module afterwards.

They didn't

My 2020 has the traditional relay. The 21+ trucks have a solid state relay.

There was a prior Y76 recall that was half-a$$ed.

Reh Ranch

Reaction score
So what are the thoughts about putting a disconnect switch in and turn it on to start the truck and let it warm up then turn it off so the relay is not "live" all the time?

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea to me! Just curious though, can we find disconnects that will handle that many amps?

Reh Ranch

Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea to me! Just curious though, can we find disconnects that will handle that many amps?
I live in farm country and a lot of farmers put these switches on their equipment to help prevent theft when they leave the equipment in the field, unattended, for extended periods of time. Surely if those switches can handle being in the main line for that equipment they can handle this task.

tyler2you

Reaction score
I've seen tests where the previous generation trucks pulled a little over 200 amps when the grid heater cycled. There's plenty of disconnects that can handle that kind of current. Blue Sea Systems makes several in the 300-500 amp range. Not cheap, but something like this might work:

7713.jpeg

Blue Sea Remote Disconnect

Last edited:

Mobrules

Reaction score
I called local dealer to see about getting this fixed. They advised no fix yet.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I called local dealer to see about getting this fixed. They advised no fix yet.
Hello,

We will keep you further posted once the repair remedy is available for every VIN that is affected by this. Thank you for you patience.

William
Ram Cares

dogbreath650

Reaction score
I'd like to know if the new trucks that are sitting in a dealer lot under a stop sell order would be given priority for new parts. As the ones built since 2/1 are not covered by the recall, there must be parts available, just probably not enough to cover the total recall yet.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
This was just brought to my attention and I wanted to share it. I must’ve missed this in my first review of the NHTSA recall report. Looks like 2023 trucks with a build date after 2/1/2023 will have the updated relay and subsequently will not be affected by the 13A recall (if I’m reading the report correctly). If this was already mentioned I apologize. I did try to review the comments prior to posting but I didn’t see anything posted about this. F7FB4802-3C73-4E31-BB2A-D1E825FAAA4F.jpeg

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to know if the new trucks that are sitting in a dealer lot under a stop sell order would be given priority for new parts. As the ones built since 2/1 are not covered by the recall, there must be parts available, just probably not enough to cover the total recall yet.
You beat me by a minute.

Looks like that’s exactly what’s going on. They’re available, just not in quantities sufficient to begin supplying the recall.

dogbreath650

Reaction score
FWIW Granger told me they were told by FCA that parts are expected to be available sometime in the first quarter of 2023.

Users who are viewing this thread