Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, need to make sure you quick start (double press the button) until you get everything reconnected. If you let the Grid Heater try to cycle on a cold start with the wire disconnected, it can throw a code. Disconnecting may not be a great idea if you live where it gets extremely cold.

Even if you quick start, the grid may cycle during warm up or when extremely cold. I could be wrong, but that lack of current draw when commanded may also set codes. Unless it's tuned out, it's going to throw codes.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
The engine and engine systems are Cummins items.

Firebird

Reaction score
I thought the grid heater relay was a year ago?

Cseybert

Reaction score
My question is if they had 300,000 trucks built only six have caused fires were they in a warm climate cold climate? I live in south Texas. My 22 has only preheated Once when it was in the 20s truck is kept in the garage.

tyler2you

Reaction score
My question is if they had 300,000 trucks built only six have caused fires were they in a warm climate cold climate? I live in south Texas. My 22 has only preheated Once when it was in the 20s truck is kept in the garage.
If they're saying it can fail whether the ignition is on or off, I wouldn't think climate would be a factor.

Cseybert

Reaction score
I’m not much of a gambler, but I wonder what the odds are of it never failing?

CdnHO

Reaction score
How do you disconnect the grid heater? Will it cause computer problems if you just disconnect the power to it?
Leave the control cable plugged into the relay. This is a connector with two light wires. No codes are set as long as this stays connected. Disconnect the heavy cable that connects the battery positive on the passenger side battery. I just taped the connector and covered it with a bit of pipe wrap to keep it from rattling. It is stiff enough so it doesn't go anywhere. The computer doesn't know if the grid heater is working or not. No codes are set.IMG_2017.JPG

Will_T

Reaction score
Crazy, so they have to be checked again?
My dealer said they think they are replacing them all this go around, not just retesting. But in any case, they can not get the new relay yet so no way to complete the recall. If new trucks have to sit on the lot until there are replacement relays, I imagine those trucks will get the first ones so they can be released. My truck was fine with the relay disconnected, even in some cold weather, the first time around while waiting 3 months for an appointment. So I guess I should disconnect it again since apparently the test they did the first time was not a reliable indicator of whether the relays would eventually fail anyway.

Will_T

Reaction score
Leave the control cable plugged into the relay. This is a connector with two light wires. No codes are set as long as this stays connected. Disconnect the heavy cable that connects the battery positive on the passenger side battery. I just taped the connector and covered it with a bit of pipe wrap to keep it from rattling. It is stiff enough so it doesn't go anywhere. The computer doesn't know if the grid heater is working or not. No codes are set.

I disconnected mine exactly like your photo and got a CEL light. If I stepped on the brake and pushed once, the countdown would commence and once it got to zero. the CEL light came on. And my Banks iDash read it as something about incorrect electrical draw at the grid heater. Once I started pushing twice to bypass the countdown, I did not get another CEL.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
This is actually a Cummins issue the Ram has to deal with.

I don’t think so. This is not a mandatory starting aid, as Cummins sells the 6.7 without them and certified the start down to 10°F without it.

Ram has emission compliance to deal with that Cummins might not based on the application.

Your 22 uses the grid heater anytime the intake air is below 66°F, even if you bypass the WTS light.

Onsiteaid

Reaction score
My 2022 5500 lives in my shop. Its primary use is to haul my camper, and I don’t have a trip planned for months. Would I be better just completely disconnecting both of the batteries? And reconnecting only if I need to move it until the recall can be completed? Is there any consequences to the new computer driven generation truck being completely dead?

flan

Reaction score
My 2022 5500 lives in my shop. Its primary use is to haul my camper, and I don’t have a trip planned for months. Would I be better just completely disconnecting both of the batteries? And reconnecting only if I need to move it until the recall can be completed? Is there any consequences to the new computer driven generation truck being completely dead?
No problem with that, a little more work but no harm will come from it.

Onsiteaid

Reaction score
No problem with that, a little more work but no harm will come from it.
Truck has 700 miles on it, don’t want any codes even coming up! My 2001 3500 Dodge Cummins sometimes throws a code when the grid heater kicks on. Seems that it draws so much it throws a code.

Texasram1

Reaction score
Is it normal for the truck to require a pre-heat when the ambient is between 40 - 50? Lately my truck, while parked inside, will have delayed start while the diesel heats and its nowhere near freezing.

Users who are viewing this thread