Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future Resale Diesel vs Gas

Curious1

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm a landscape contractor owner operator. I'm in the market for a new 2500 to pull my 15k gooseneck dump trailer / compact track loader. I typically go the 6.7 Cummins route but I'm concerned with the future of Diesel, the new restrictions coming this March and the future resale of the truck 5-7 years down the road around the 2030 marker. I know a lot of us are not thrilled about it, but if we put our feelings aside and logically look at whats most likely coming, are any of you going the 6.4L 4.10 route vs 6.7L hedging your bets the govt wont try to hurt the gas market quite as bad as the diesel in 5-7 years? What a situation we find ourselves in... Just trying to figure out where to hedge my bets so I can continue to service my industry but not be left with a truck that is worthless / or being gouged for fuel over the daily drivers because its diesel.

Curious where you guys stand on this?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Most fleets have been moving to gas for years now.

15K, I'd probably go gas unless you have some really big hills to traverse.

FWIW, this topic has been beaten to death here in several other threads.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you are only keeping the truck 5-7 years and towing 15k i would go with the gasser honestly

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm a landscape contractor owner operator. I'm in the market for a new 2500 to pull my 15k gooseneck dump trailer / compact track loader. I typically go the 6.7 Cummins route but I'm concerned with the future of Diesel, the new restrictions coming this March and the future resale of the truck 5-7 years down the road around the 2030 marker. I know a lot of us are not thrilled about it, but if we put our feelings aside and logically look at whats most likely coming, are any of you going the 6.4L 4.10 route vs 6.7L hedging your bets the govt wont try to hurt the gas market quite as bad as the diesel in 5-7 years? What a situation we find ourselves in... Just trying to figure out where to hedge my bets so I can continue to service my industry but not be left with a truck that is worthless / or being gouged for fuel over the daily drivers because its diesel.

Curious where you guys stand on this?

Zero care on resale... I run all my vehicles until the cost to repair is more than the value.
Long term diesel cost/maintenance is more than a gasser... and while you can get (marginally) further on a gallon of diesel, that distance is significantly more than gas.

If you're gonna tow really heavy all the time + mountains... you likely break even on the diesel.

Honestly, I hoping for a good electric truck... that is still way too far off to be efficient/effective but I'm happy for the early adopters willing to dump their money in a (currently) mediocre at best, product.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Most fleets have been moving to gas for years now.

15K, I'd probably go gas unless you have some really big hills to traverse.

FWIW, this topic has been beaten to death here in several other threads.

Most fleets are going to gas half tons around here in oregon and Washington because of DOT. Here anything over 10kgvwr requires US DOT number and anything over 12k you need truck plates. Having truck plates on your truck and US DOT number driver needs a min health card... not only is it EPA **** it's DOT changing as well.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Get what best fits your business and don't worry too much on selling it later. All the new trucks are clean idle crap anyways and we are really far off from switching to electric vehicles. California can't even make it 1 summer with our rolling black outs. Look at how many people couldnt even get a charge or they're Tesla because they were frozen lol.

jebruns

Reaction score
Gas and diesel are in the same basic boat, as far as .gov is concerned. They hate them both. They both go up and down in price at basically the same time, generally speaking. It's hard to see the market change so much that the diesel will not be the best ROI in regards to trade/selling value, especially on a 5 year horizon.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I've had a half dozen HD's over the past 20 years, 2 gas and 4 diesel. If I were only going to tow 15k I'd have gas. I've towed plenty more than that with gas many times without issue. And when I say without issue, I mean I never had to work on the gas trucks, unlike the diesel trucks which do nothing but dig into your pocket routinely. Of course, I'm in flat land so there's that.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I worked dealerships for years, owned too many vehicles to keep track of in 22yrs on the road. At the time if purchasing I paid a meager $55k for my Laramie CTD and its been paid for for quite awhile. I do my own maintenance & the repairs I can safely handle. I went diesel mainly because of what I've seen afa as value goes long term. Having two vehicles keeps my miles low(20kmi on '19) as did buying late in model year. My gas Rams tanked in value after a few years, a low mi diesel(in E. Wa/N ID) historically does not. That being said, with the current pricing structure IDK how I'd choose?

Users who are viewing this thread