Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front and Rear Collision waring on startup

jakalafus

Reaction score
Had not started the truck for a while yesterday. When I did start it, the collision warnings, service suspension, tons of warnings and most of the warning lights on the dash were going nuts. Tried to start again and same thing. I ended up disconnecting the batteries for 30m. Then was fine after the cameras finally had time to re-connect. Now today, went out again to leave and both front and rear collision warnings were going off on startup for maybe a minute. Then they went away and I drove it around. Any thoughts?

Heading out of town with the 5er tomorrow. sigh...

baker01

Reaction score
Had not started the truck for a while yesterday. When I did start it, the collision warnings, service suspension, tons of warnings and most of the warning lights on the dash were going nuts. Tried to start again and same thing. I ended up disconnecting the batteries for 30m. Then was fine after the cameras finally had time to re-connect. Now today, went out again to leave and both front and rear collision warnings were going off on startup for maybe a minute. Then they went away and I drove it around. Any thoughts?

Heading out of town with the 5er tomorrow. sigh...
How long did it sit? Low battery voltage can cause gremlins.

jakalafus

Reaction score
Happened again last night while driving down the road. I drove it to a store maybe 20 minutes away. Then when leaving the store getting back on the main road it did it. I was going 50 and it kept non stop saying the automatic braking was in effect and then tried to put on the parking brake twice while driving. Voltage was 13.2.

jakalafus

Reaction score
UPDATE- Dealer took a look. No codes. charged me 270.00 for a TSB update. I was not more than 1 mile from the dealer at a light when the dash lit up flashing Collision Warning, braking, airbag/suspension warning. When I tried to turn into a parking lot either the E brake had engaged or the truck would not get out of 1st, but it super high revved and limped to a parking spot. I shut off the truck and called the dealership. They said, call the RAM extended warranty number and they can get it here. No S***. I was less than a MILE away! After I let it sit and cursed for 20m I started it back up, only the service suspension light was on and carefully got it to the dealer. I gave them the video attached. They said, we will take another look. Seriously! What happened to me as dangerous! Sigh, not to mention I am supposed to haul a large trailer out of state Saturday. Anyone ever hear of anything like this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 5.33.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 5.33.11 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 5.33.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 5.33.24 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

baker01

Reaction score
I know this does not solve the problem, but the owner's manual has instructions on how to turn FCW with active braking off through Uconnect

Nd79

Reaction score
One place for them to start might be the under hood ground points. I had the ones by the fuse box on the driver's side loosened one time while I was doing something else and accidentally turned on accessory power with the push button start. It flashed all sorts of faults like blind spot monitoring unavailable and such. I shut it back off and tightened the ground wire nuts, then had to clear some codes and it was back to normal.

JimKIII

Reaction score
UPDATE- Dealer took a look. No codes. charged me 270.00 for a TSB update. I was not more than 1 mile from the dealer at a light when the dash lit up flashing Collision Warning, braking, airbag/suspension warning. When I tried to turn into a parking lot either the E brake had engaged or the truck would not get out of 1st, but it super high revved and limped to a parking spot. I shut off the truck and called the dealership. They said, call the RAM extended warranty number and they can get it here. No S***. I was less than a MILE away! After I let it sit and cursed for 20m I started it back up, only the service suspension light was on and carefully got it to the dealer. I gave them the video attached. They said, we will take another look. Seriously! What happened to me as dangerous! Sigh, not to mention I am supposed to haul a large trailer out of state Saturday. Anyone ever hear of anything like this?
This is one reason why I refuse to have all that software controlled BS in my truck - as minimal as possible. Good grief, your experience should scare the crap outa everyone with Collission Warning screwing with your brakes. One time like that is one time too much in my book. Yard it all out and give me a truck that I drive myself without any AI-take-over-controls garbage. Anyway why the hell did they charge YOU for the TSB update? Time to be the squeaky wheel! Looks like you have only 30K miles on the odometer. Everything wrong with your truck whether it's software, loose grounds whatever is under warranty and should not cost you a cent.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Anyway why the hell did they charge YOU for the TSB update? Time to be the squeaky wheel! Looks like you have only 30K miles on the odometer. Everything wrong with your truck whether it's software, loose grounds whatever is under warranty and should not cost you a cent.
This confused me too, why would they charge him? Why did he agree to pay? Warranty is called warranty for a reason.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
This confused me too, why would they charge him? Why did he agree to pay? Warranty is called warranty for a reason.
He never mentions in this thread what year the truck is, but a quick search reveals he took delivery of a new truck in June of 2019. That’s would put him outside basic warranty by time, hence the charge to perform a TSB.

jakalafus

Reaction score
He never mentions in this thread what year the truck is, but a quick search reveals he took delivery of a new truck in June of 2019. That’s would put him outside basic warranty by time, hence the charge to perform a TSB.
That is correct. TSBs are not covered even though I am only at 31k miles. I do have the Mopar Maximum care but had to pay the diagnosis fee then the software labor fee. All for not though. I have not even broke the motor in and this crap... Better believe I am not paying for crap this time. The truck has been sitting since Monday and they have not even looked at it. I leave Saturday. Time for me to stop being nice today to Rodeo Dodge.

Last edited by a moderator:

jakalafus

Reaction score
UPDATE- The dealer found that the Suspension control module had issues(which we all knew as the dash light would come on but then go away) and apparently when that faults the FCW goes wonky. They did a software update based on a TSB and swears all is good now. Either way my FCW will be off and hope this fixes it.

jakalafus

Reaction score
UPDATE- The dealer found that the Suspension control module had issues(which we all knew as the dash light would come on but then go away) and apparently when that faults the FCW goes wonky. They did a software update based on a TSB and swears all is good now. Either way my FCW will be off and hope this fixes it.
Nope. Did it again and locked up brakes. Wtf. Service air suspension and FCW flashing back and forth. Plus braking in the middle of the road.

jakalafus

Reaction score
Nope. Did it again and locked up brakes. Wtf. Service air suspension and FCW flashing back and forth. Plus braking in the middle of the road.
Took it back this AM and went straight to the manager. The truck was going nuts to so they finally saw it. The tech blamed my Transfer flow external fuel tank and controller and said he was going to disconnect it. WTF, that was installed a week after I got the truck in 2019.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Took it back this AM and went straight to the manager. The truck was going nuts to so they finally saw it. The tech blamed my Transfer flow external fuel tank and controller and said he was going to disconnect it. WTF, that was installed a week after I got the truck in 2019.
So the fuel tank and transfer flow are connected with the front and rear collision systems? Huh?

baker01

Reaction score
Tech is grasping at straws. At a minimum, file complaint with the NHTSA. If it is only the local tech trying to fix the issue, He may not have the know how to troubleshoot it. I would ask the dealer to open a STAR case. A star case is open when the dealer calls in for technical assistance and is talking to a technical rep at FCA, the case stays on file so if other dealers out there encounter a similar problem it shows up when we do a symptom search it becomes a reference library, it no way means the problem is covered under warranty we use star for warranty and non-warranty repairs. I would also contact the district rep and Ram Cares ans ask for some good will toward paying for this issue.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
OP please keep us updated.
My truck did it once a long time ago, I was on a trip to BC towing a trailer, was coming up to a red traffic light holding my breaks when the light turned green before I came to a stop so I hit has and the truck hit breaks and dash lighted up in red. Got **** from wife for driving like an idiot, lol told her it wasn't me I don't think she believed.
It only happened once so figured maybe a bird flew right in front of sensors and activated the system.
If it happens again I'll need to know what the solution is.

Reaction score
Mine has been doing this a few times after someone backing into my front bumper. His insurance refused to pay for new sensors until I got videos of the truck doing wonky ****, and dealership noticed ground faults in the 2 middle sensors. Finally getting them replaced when the parts come in, but the behavior is nearly identical to what's been posted here, ie: random collision avoidance braking, random sensor alerts even in a parking lot sitting still, system faults in heavy rain (didn't happen before the jackwagon backed into me even when driving through blinding rain in a hurricane last year).

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Which sensors activate the collision avoidance breaking system? There are parking sensors in the front bumper which I now think aren't responsible as they're short range (ok so maybe partially responsible) and then there are some sensors inside that plastic housing behind the rear view mirror.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Which sensors activate the collision avoidance breaking system? There are parking sensors in the front bumper which I now think aren't responsible as they're short range (ok so maybe partially responsible) and then there are some sensors inside that plastic housing behind the rear view mirror.
Collision avoidance (forward collision warning with active braking) is handled only by the camera on the windshield in front of the mirror.

The sensors in the bumper are only for park assist (how close you are getting to an object when going slow).

Users who are viewing this thread