Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frequent Regen 2020 6.7

KBob

Reaction score
Waiting for my HPFP recall parts. Following along on this now. 14K on a 2020 SO, 12K of those towing 8K. I've been watching for over a year now, and I can count All my regens on one hand. On a 250 mile trip home today, running a 55 mph Ozark highway with a couple of slow spots because farm equipment on the road, the DPF gauge registered maybe 10% for a few miles, but went back to Zero as soon as I got back up to sustained 65-70 mph. Never went into regen.

MWB

Reaction score
Here is my situation. 2019 Ram 2500 with a 6.7. CP4 blew up in January of 2022 with around 35000 miles. I have had the truck since new and use it for work so it get used like a diesel should. Prior to the CP4 blowing up I around 1500-2000 miles per regen. It took the dealer a full month to figure out what they were going to do because the recall had just been issued and there was no guidance on a fix. In the end, a CP3 was installed and BCM was reprogrammed with whatever update they deemed necessary. After getting the truck back I noticed fuel economy decreased due to increased regen cycles. I am averaging 160 miles between regen in the same work conditions. Mileage before was around 17, not I am at 10. I am wondering if any of you have experienced anything similar. Dealer has no idea what is going on. I have had it back to them 3 times since the CP3 was installed. This is all documented through their STAR program (no idea what that is) and this time a STAR software engineer is being tasked with looking into the truck.
Same issues here. 2019 with 36,000mi . Had pump recall completed in August 2022 and ever since the truck will regen about every 60-80 miles now. Was every 1200-1500 before. Truck is use for work daily and towing work trailers at highway speeds. Dealer has been extremely helpful but haven’t figured out the problem yet. New software flash, forced regen, last week a new DPF was installed but still doing regen around 100 miles. I don’t know what to do next besides trade it in. The only difference is my CP4 didn’t fail. Was running great but was in for service for unrelated warranty work and they did the fuel pump recall while it was there. Would love someone to tell me wha the hell is going on. Mileage is down to around 11mpg on the highway from 15-16 mpg before the recall.

KBob

Reaction score
I'm new to this thread, 2020 2500 SO. and wanted to share my experience. My dealer is a small town dealer who sells mostly to farmers, and the service department is focused on fixing diesel farm trucks. They got me in fast, did my recall in one day, and my truck has been flawless. Good or better fuel mileage, and only one regen the day after I brought it home in July. Since then I've towed 8K several thousand mile,s and run empty a few hundred miles. No more regens, and nothing showing on the gauge ever. I leave it on the DPF screen mostly, and flip back after checking, what ever. I logged my miles, and engine hours the one time it did the regen, and I'm way over 40 engine hours now.
My feeling is the techs handling the programmer, after the swap, are checking the wrong box somewhere and creating the problem. There seems to be an information vacuum on what's going on, and some dealers say it's normal to regen often. Believe me it's Not. Feel free to use this story while working with your dealer...............................

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My feeling is the techs handling the programmer, after the swap, are checking the wrong box somewhere and creating the problem. There seems to be an information vacuum on what's going on, and some dealers say it's normal to regen often. Believe me it's Not. Feel free to use this story while working with your dealer...............................
Techs have nothing do with it its just a luck of the draw thing software and technology can be funky that way.

flan

Reaction score
Same issues here. 2019 with 36,000mi . Had pump recall completed in August 2022 and ever since the truck will regen about every 60-80 miles now. Was every 1200-1500 before. Truck is use for work daily and towing work trailers at highway speeds. Dealer has been extremely helpful but haven’t figured out the problem yet. New software flash, forced regen, last week a new DPF was installed but still doing regen around 100 miles. I don’t know what to do next besides trade it in. The only difference is my CP4 didn’t fail. Was running great but was in for service for unrelated warranty work and they did the fuel pump recall while it was there. Would love someone to tell me wha the hell is going on. Mileage is down to around 11mpg on the highway from 15-16 mpg before the recall.
Seems like the 2019 have programming issues. Probably why the recall isn’t fully released for them yet.

TriMetal

Reaction score
Hey all, Have a 2020 6.7 with 37k miles. About 10 days ago got a check engine light with code P2459- Frequent Regen. My truck had been running a Regen about every 25 miles. As soon as one would end another would start. My driving is about half highway and half local road. Dealer ran ECM flash 18-012-21 Rev B which took care of the indicator light but Regen still seems to frequent for my liking. It was running a Regen about every 100 miles today with mixed highway and local driving. What is everyone else seeing? Do I need to have DPF pressure sensor checked? Dealer seemed satisfied with ECM update but I’m not convinced.
With my driving habits, my 2020 2500 regens between 100 and 200 miles. Most of my driving is very short trips. I have 44,000 miles on the truck, with 7,200 of those miles towing a 10,000 trailer. The dealer has already replaced my DPF at 38,000 miles. All of the anti pollution equipment has really made diesels costly and unreliable, in my opinion. At this point, I wish that I would have gone with the 6.4Hemi instead of the Cummins.

TriMetal

Reaction score
I'm trying a diesel additive to try and cut down on the regens, but the only difference I have seen is the distance it takes to regen - prior to using a additive 22-37 miles to regen. Using additive - 10 - 17 miles to regen.
Next week I'm going to replace the MAF sensor, since they get so filthy with the EGR pumping exhaust gases into the intake.

flan

Reaction score
I'm trying a diesel additive to try and cut down on the regens, but the only difference I have seen is the distance it takes to regen - prior to using a additive 22-37 miles to regen. Using additive - 10 - 17 miles to regen.
Next week I'm going to replace the MAF sensor, since they get so filthy with the EGR pumping exhaust gases into the intake.
The MAF does not see any EGR gasses. Are you confusing it with another sensor possibly?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You mean MAP sensor?

delmoniCO

Reaction score
My experience, 2020 with 38k miles.

Around town: regens every 100 miles or less
"Hard" Driving up I70 mountain passes every day: regens every 200 miles
Towing 10k lb total weight enclosed car carrier at 80 mph uphill to Denver from Kansas: zero regens in 1200 miles round trip. DPF gauge pegged at zero.

You have to beat the piss out of the Cummins to make it happy.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine may be different but when I am running all highway either towing or running 70+ it will regen on the 24 mark. If I an daily driving to and from work (20 Miles) or doing short jumps around town it does it more frequently. I have a little log I have been keeping of when it regens posted below.

Start RegenEnd RegenMiles in RegenMiles Since last regenHrs Since last RegenAverage Miles/hour
Most of these look excessive except for the 24 hour one.

Electrified

Reaction score
2020 RAM 3500 HO, with 52,000 miles. I have a 62 mile round trip to work and home each day. Started to notice regens every day. I changed oil, and made sure it wasn't over filled. Still same issue. Added some Hot shots fuel cleaner to tank, still same issue. Changing air filter today to see if this improves before I take it to the dealer. Right after regen, the DPF shows its 1/3 full after driving 10 miles.

Luckily I'm still under powertrain warranty so hopefully if they need to replace DPF.

HDRAM2020

Reaction score
2020 RAM 3500 HO, with 52,000 miles. I have a 62 mile round trip to work and home each day. Started to notice regens every day. I changed oil, and made sure it wasn't over filled. Still same issue. Added some Hot shots fuel cleaner to tank, still same issue. Changing air filter today to see if this improves before I take it to the dealer. Right after regen, the DPF shows its 1/3 full after driving 10 miles.

Luckily I'm still under powertrain warranty so hopefully if they need to replace DPF.
Mine does the same thing. I have more miles but it’s been doing it since probably 40000 miles. And just to clear up your warranty is only 50000 miles for emissions yea I know. I thought it was drivetrain also. They have done all mapp sensor change air filter Supposed to be a computer update in May. The service manager is really working on it and has found out this is a major issue with them. I talked to them today and said he is still waiting for update.

Users who are viewing this thread