Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For uConnect 5 users, do you use your USB drives for music?

For uConnect 5 users, do you use your USB drives for music?

• Yes

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters

jebruns

Reaction score
I like the USB drives so I can have different artists/song lists on each one and it's all plug and play. I have 5 or 6 in the truck all the time. No messing with the phone or display while driving. I know I can build playlists with my Android too, but it's just easier with the thumb drives, IMO.

AndyBern

Reaction score
I use USB for my music. I don't want to pay for any kind of subscription service, and cell phone service is not available everywhere I live. Also, playing from the phone has issues such as playback not resuming where it left off on restart or after a phone call (which doesn't work well for audio books).

I was having many problems with USB, including UConnect intermittently not recognizing the drive. Most of my USB playing glitches have gone away since I fixed the encoding errors of my MP3 files (almost 4000). My UConnect glitches reduced to 10% or less of what they were. (I used mp3val and ffmpeg to fix the MP3 errors. Both are available for Windows and Linux.)

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I use USB for my music. I don't want to pay for any kind of subscription service, and cell phone service is not available everywhere I live. Also, playing from the phone has issues such as playback not resuming where it left off on restart or after a phone call (which doesn't work well for audio books).

I was having many problems with USB, including UConnect intermittently not recognizing the drive. Most of my USB playing glitches have gone away since I fixed the encoding errors of my MP3 files (almost 4000). My UConnect glitches reduced to 10% or less of what they were. (I used mp3val and ffmpeg to fix the MP3 errors. Both are available for Windows and Linux.)

What kind of phone do you have?

I’ve never had an issue with an iPhone where the podcast, audio book, or music doesn’t start where I left off.

AndyBern

Reaction score
It's an Android (LG V20). It works fine with other vehicles. Only uConnect doesn't resume correctly.

jebruns

Reaction score
What kind of phone do you have?

I’ve never had an issue with an iPhone where the podcast, audio book, or music doesn’t start where I left off.
My Samsung S22 Ultra resumes where it left off also.

MarkCO1

Reaction score

I like, and used USB in both of my past vehicles. I do spend time where there is no signal, and still want to listen to music. Anyway, I loaded a few hundred songs on a new USB and it does not appear that my 2022 Big Horn recognizes the drive in either Aux 1 or Aux 2. Just copied from my downloaded music off my PC, would I have some sort of encoding error as well.

TIA.

jebruns

Reaction score
I like, and used USB in both of my past vehicles. I do spend time where there is no signal, and still want to listen to music. Anyway, I loaded a few hundred songs on a new USB and it does not appear that my 2022 Big Horn recognizes the drive in either Aux 1 or Aux 2. Just copied from my downloaded music off my PC, would I have some sort of encoding error as well.

TIA.
What uConnect software level are you at? Which uConnect system do you have (8.4", 12", etc)?

MarkCO1

Reaction score
What uConnect software level are you at? Which uConnect system do you have (8.4", 12", etc)?
UCONNECT 5 W 8.4" DISPLAY (USA)

also has this on the equipment list: MEDIA HUB-2 USB, FULL FUNCT, AUX

AndyBern

Reaction score

TIA.
I formatted my 128Gb drive as NTFS and my 2022 Big Horn recognizes it about 90% of the time. I have about 4000 mp3 files on it.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
I formatted my 128Gb drive as NTFS and my 2022 Big Horn recognizes it about 90% of the time. I have about 4000 mp3 files on it.
THANKS!!!

Reformatted my USB drive to NFTS, put a few songs on it and BOOM. Recognizes it and works perfectly.

AndyBern

Reaction score
Glad it worked for you. Most of my MP3's were converted from my CD collection. Some are the entire CD in a single MP3 file as I don't like the short silence between tracks. I also added album-art (using kid3-cli for Linux) to most of them which UConnect displays fine. About 10% of the time the USB is not recognized in either port. Usually resetting UConnect will restore it.

Users who are viewing this thread