Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For uConnect 5 users, do you use your USB drives for music?

For uConnect 5 users, do you use your USB drives for music?

• Yes

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters

jebruns

Reaction score
A discussion from another thread in this forum got me to wondering how many use their USB drives for music. Some of us have had issues with the USB drive not recognizing all the songs, not seeing the drives, etc.

And please only answer if you are on uConnect 5. Any comments on issues would be appreciated also.

jebruns

Reaction score
Surprised that with 50 views, there are only 2 votes here, and one of those is mine. Don't know if that means nobody reading this is on uConnect 5, or nobody uses the USB drives for music and just don't want to vote/comment?

Pearce

Reaction score
Don't use the USB. I've gotten hooked on Sirius XM, iHeart, or depending on the day my local channels.

techman

Reaction score
Current smartphones have plenty of internal storage without the need for separate USB drives. Streaming services are also more popular than ever, so I think USB drives are now less popular. Plus as many have said, too many variables with USB storage from formatting, folder hierarchy, and types which cause problems. Lot's of cheap memory sticks out there that just don't work.

For me AA was a revelation! I use my phone for everything so having it integrate with my truck is pure bliss!

superjoe83

Reaction score
I have used a USB drive a few times, no major issues other than sometimes it can have problems identifying the drive

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
I use the USB for music most of the time. As for drive problems I’ve never had any. I use USB drive in 3 different vehicles with no issues. Only one is Uconnect 5.

CharlieL

Reaction score
For me, the Carplay works great with my iPhone, where I have lots of music. Don't use a separate USB for music.

cwh

Reaction score
I couldn't figure out how to make it work. Although, I admittedly didn't try very hard.

AndyBern

Reaction score
I use USB for music. But about 30% of the time, it doesn't recognize the USB and switches to Sirius or radio. About 20% of the time it forgets where it was and starts over at the first song.

BigDaddyKong

Reaction score
Just updates. I would rather pay for Spotify for add free music and custom playlists that I can download and use through Android Auto.

1st Diesel

Reaction score
I use a USB Thumb Drive. It doesn’t read/play all my music.
I have a 2023 Ram 2500 Big Horn. I use a 256GB ScanDisk usb thumb drive for my music. I have over 9K songs loaded onto it. It works fine in 2 other vehicles. All files are in alphabetical order. In my Big Horn, It only reads/builds from A to R. It worked fine in my 2020 Ram Classic. Both screens are 8.4”. I’ve tried both usb outlets and still only reads A to R. I’ve tried letting it load for over an hour, and still nothing past R.

mountainears

Reaction score
Don’t really understand why folks would use a USB drive for music these days. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Don’t really understand why folks would use a USB drive for music these days. What am I missing?

I think you’re missing the fact that not everyone has an unlimited data plan and if they’re like me have 1000’s of songs they love that were on cd’s now on a thumb drive. I haven’t had a problem using it in my 22 RAM.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I think you’re missing the fact that not everyone has an unlimited data plan and if they’re like me have 1000’s of songs they love that were on cd’s now on a thumb drive. I haven’t had a problem using it in my 22 RAM.
The last truck, all those CDs could be downloaded into the truck’s hard drive and then left at home..Jukebox, could do it going down the road instead of sitting in front of a desktop.
Was super cool, beyond the capability of the Ram engineers…just like a nav that can’t leave breadcrumbs.
A whole lotta folks, a phone is just that..a phone.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Why use a thumb drive over storing the music on your phone? Has nothing to do with the data plan, at least for me.

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
Didn’t even consider this was a thing people do.

I would’ve had guessed downloaded songs from a phone USB connection maybe.

My uConnect 5 is slow and doesn’t respond very fast. I expect very little from it.

unclelala

Reaction score
Why use a thumb drive over storing the music on your phone? Has nothing to do with the data plan, at least for me.
Maybe dating my self but I bought a 20 gig mp3 player a year ago and have about 4 thousand songs on it. Its hooked up via usb to the uconnect 4 which does a good job showing the album, artist song, genre etc etc. It connects automatically and easy to select on the 12 inch screen.
I tried to use my iphone but its doing what it wants to do not what I want it to do. Maybe Android is easier or maybe its operator error on my part.

jebruns

Reaction score
Mine has been much more consistent with the last few U5 updates.

mountainears

Reaction score
Maybe dating my self but I bought a 20 gig mp3 player a year ago and have about 4 thousand songs on it. Its hooked up via usb to the uconnect 4 which does a good job showing the album, artist song, genre etc etc. It connects automatically and easy to select on the 12 inch screen.
I tried to use my iphone but its doing what it wants to do not what I want it to do. Maybe Android is easier or maybe its operator error on my part.

It works so don’t really need to change. But pop all those into iTunes and play them via CarPlay from your iPhone. Don’t even need to use CarPlay if you like the media interface.

mountainears

Reaction score

Well there’s another question. Why not have unlimited data :). I’m on Visible from Verizon (most carriers have similar plans) both plans they offer are unlimited data. On my iPhone I have iTunes that allows me to download a local copy of the music, don’t even have to copy the files to the phone, just download the music you like. With that setup you don’t even need the unlimited data it plays off the local files so even when you don’t have signal you have music. Different way to do the same thing and easy to update your library instead of having to pull the USB and updating from your computer.

Users who are viewing this thread