Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folding mirrors

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
When I bought my '20 Laramie 5500, I was under the impression the mirrors power folded. It said "power mirrors folding". I was wrong, it really said "power mirrors, folding" (paraphrasing), meaning the glass in the mirrors is power, but they do not fold with power, the fold manually.
Anyway, has anyone tried to make manual folding mirrors power folding? I see a space for the switch. Wondered if it was pre-wired and of course what the folding mirrors cost?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's possible and has probably been done by one of the members or @Jimmy07 but don't recall a specific thread here.

Hard to tell if it's pre-wired. Sadly a lot of these features are not. That's not to say that it would be hard to do. The biggest issue is that many (most/all?) of the push button functions are just signals sent to the BCM to activate power or a relay. It could just be a simple add the switch and mirrors, adding power, and/or adding a lead to the BCM connector.

Our resident DIY electronics expert Jimmy will likely know.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
When I bought my '20 Laramie 5500, I was under the impression the mirrors power folded. It said "power mirrors folding". I was wrong, it really said "power mirrors, folding" (paraphrasing), meaning the glass in the mirrors is power, but they do not fold with power, the fold manually.
Anyway, has anyone tried to make manual folding mirrors power folding? I see a space for the switch. Wondered if it was pre-wired and of course what the folding mirrors cost?
Yes, many have done this. You need the power folding mirrors, new front door modules (the ones you have now are not power fold capable), a new driver door master switch that has the power fold button, and a way to enable the feature. All the parts are direct swap-outs, with no extra wiring involved. You can see if the dealer can add the sales code to get the power fold to work, or you can do it yourself using AlfaOBD (Android or windows only). If you’re an iOS user, Jscan can do it.

Users who are viewing this thread