Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foaming wash?

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
Do any of you use this? I will not run the truck through the car wash but the winters here in Michigan can be brutal. How does this stuff work? Thanks

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
it is supposed to lift the dirt off the surface. Kinda like a dishwasher doesnt really get the dishes clean, the detergent does.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I've had feedback that you still need to agitate it to get it clean. been debating trying one.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Good wax before winter, wool wax underneath, fluid film the cavities, and you will have done all you can do except to not drive it.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Longhorn 3500 Pearl White and take mine through car wash. Todays car washers are much easier on vehicles, but I do wish I had the time and patients to hand wash mine.

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
Yeah I can't get her big ass in any car washes in the area. I have it undercoated from a local guy, who used the wax and not a black ziebart. Im going to try it and see how it works.

zsqure

Reaction score
My boys use it on their cars, through a foam cannon hooked to a high volume pressure washer. Lifts dirt, lubricates the surface. Mainly used as an initial wash, then use the two bucket method and wash with wash mitt top to bottom strokes, not side to side. I was a touchless wash guy, but my '14 Ram is rusting in many spots, all from under the paint. Washed too much? I used the touchless daily. I guess I will start using their methods. Griots, Chemical Guys on hose end sprayer work pretty good. The pressure washer foam cannon does a nice job as well. A lot of it is the soap you use.

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
Great info. I am going to try and at least spray it as much as possible. Michigan weather is not friendly to washing cars in the winter. I will use the quarter wash and do my best. It is undercoated with the wax and should do ok.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I have a power washer and foam cannon and use Chemical Guys MrPink soap. I was not impressed. Gets surface dirt off but still needs to be wiped for decent cleaning. Tried it on my trucks, travel trailer and boat. Will continue to use on travel trailer and boat but trucks are going to the car wash plus their 6 mos detailing & waxing.

zsqure

Reaction score
I guess the idea is to release as much grit from the surface before giving it a handy. Foam cannon, dwell time, blast off with pressure washer. Wash with 2 bucket method. Different soaps, different types of water, soap/water ratio all combine to dictate how much foam (or how thick the blanket) stays on the vehicle.

Dave88LX

Reaction score
I run Adam's Car Wash Shampoo (blue) through an MTM PF-22 foam cannon and I've been loving it.

g00fy

Reaction score
I have a power washer and foam cannon and use Chemical Guys MrPink soap. I was not impressed. Gets surface dirt off but still needs to be wiped for decent cleaning. Tried it on my trucks, travel trailer and boat. Will continue to use on travel trailer and boat but trucks are going to the car wash plus their 6 mos detailing & waxing.
I had the same experience with chemicals guys foam cannon and honeydew car shampoo or whatever the hell they call it. It took off the heavy stuff ok, but that kinda dirty film required the agitation of a good hand wash. I guess the touchless foam cannon method works better when you do a serious hand wash and high quality wax or ceramic coating at the beginning of the season, then just maintain it with the touchless foam wash.

Riveyman

Reaction score
My understanding with the foam wash is to remove any grit that could cause light scratches. After the foam wash, you're suppose to had wash to remove anything else.
But I would think that a high pressure hose or pressure washer would do that in a pre rinse ?
Anyhow , I got the Chemical Guys Honeydew stuff, and I'm really not impressed with it. It cleans the truck, but IMO it takes way longer to get the suds/ soap off the surfaces.
I'll keep using it, as I have a whole bottle to use up.

foneguy

Reaction score
i had a teflon paint protectorate done, 5 year guarantee when i got my truck, also i had an old school rubber type rust proofing as well with an annual inspection. and twice i just do a touch up wax, we have a foam touchless carwash here and ill take all the cars in that in the winter, , ill use my homedepot foam cannon and foam soap withthe pressure washer a couple times with a microfiber brush ....truck is clean and happy

bamnq6

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've pretty thorough in my paint care procedures... After 15 years my explorer was still shiny.

I use a Gilmore Foam Master (AMAZON LINK) with Chemical Bros Mr Pink Soap. The purpose of the foam is to act as a lubricant when we're 'scrubbing' with a microfiber mit. I highly recommend using the 2 bucket method with grit grates to keep micro-scratches to a minimum. I really like using the foam gun-

Here's a primer on the 2 bucket method: LINK

Linked4door

Reaction score
I have used Adams ultra foam which I like, but it still requires agitation. I like adams graphine foam better, but sill requires agitation. My buddy recommended "Tough Mudder" by chemical guys. I haven't tried that yet, but have some to try sometime this week.

Attachments

• 20220205_230030.jpg
    20220205_230030.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20201201_180320.jpg
    20201201_180320.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 28

Riddick

Reaction score
You need to ensure you have a good base coat such as wax, "spray on" ceramic coatings, or a "true" ceramic coating. When you have a good base coat the dirt will not stick to the paint hardly at all. Keep a good base coat on and cleaning your vehicle is a a breeze. The issue with the "touchless" car washes is they use harsh chemicals that not only remove dirt and grime but they also remove any paint protection you have on the vehicle. The ones that use brushes work well but if the brushes are not cleaned properly they will scratch your clearcoat as they are drug across your car. However, as long as the brushes are clean they do a fairly good job.

My personal go to has been the Meguiars spray on ceramic wax coating. Its easy to apply and seems to be holding up well. I put it on in November and the paint still repels dirt and the water is still beading. I realize this is not a true ceramic coating and will not last more than 6-9 months but I don't mind reapplying it twice a year. literally takes 15 minutes to put on. As for soap I am having good luck with the Chemical Guys Maxi Suds and a cheap Armor All foam cannon gun. I can spray the entire truck adn the soap is thick and stays put.

dynocompe

Reaction score
i use a foam cannon, but its just to apply the soap, i still use a wash mitt too.

Users who are viewing this thread