Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fishnerd’s Build Thread

el_barto

Reaction score
Yeah i was thinking it was going to be plug and play when i ordered them, my first attempt i gave up and sat on the install for 4 months. Im curious what AEV uses/recommends? I should have checked but I really wanted the back light functionality.

The backlight I would say is on par with the running lights, not on full brake brightness. I was hoping it would be a little brighter. Recently my family and I were caught driving in monsoon rain in AZ were visibility was so bad, and was hoping to utilize the backlight as extra warning/precaution, its what prompted me to get off my butt and install it.
This is what they recommends for the bison Rear Bumper, which I’m guessing has similar clearance to the Ram bumper. I think it’s Baja designs that are in their green promo truck
45160D45-E24F-45ED-92B9-8ACC4BDEB5BE.png

Fishnerd

Reaction score
I wish one could give an entire thread a like because this one deserves it.
Appreciate the kind words! I was hoping to have more done on the truck, but i got sucked into another car build. Now that its basically wrapped up, im back to truck modding!

Cheers!

Quick

Reaction score
I’m prepping to do my switch pros install and have decided to buy a wire label maker. Which one are you guys using?

Etoimos

Reaction score
I’m prepping to do my switch pros install and have decided to buy a wire label maker. Which one are you guys using?
Fishnerd can chime in with what he uses, but I picked up an Epson Lableworks LW-PX350. You will also have to get some tubing tape to match your wiring needs. The AWG 10-20 tapes work well for most of the wiring sizes we use in modifying these trucks.

arx237

Reaction score
If you already have a labelmaker chances are good they also make shrink tube label cartridges too.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Those shrink wrap labels are awesome, i still havent invested in one yet, though I probably should. I went the old school sharpie route and I marked the connections male and female ends since i use the same connectors for all my accessories. It helps should one ever get disconnected or i need to service.

2021Leveled

Reaction score
Hell
no worries... I wanted to do the same. I took the top off but I could not figure out which fuse goes with which wire underneath so for now, I used two fuse taps. If I can ever get hold of a wiring diagram I would prefer to properly and permanently splice into the harness.

I made the fuse taps as clean as I could. The wires exit through a small grommet by the positive stud, then under the distribution center where they connect to the switchpros.
View attachment 420591
o thanks for the info which fuse did you use for the lights?

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Hell

o thanks for the info which fuse did you use for the lights?
the lights are activated via the switchpros. The switchpro is tied to the 12v dash cig socket (used the switched leg vs the constant).

Soapy

Reaction score
Wondering how you switch the cig socket from constant to switched. Looks like you have already done this in your truck.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Wondering how you switch the cig socket from constant to switched. Looks like you have already done this in your truck.
In the main fuse panel in the engine compartment the fuse for the cig socket (cant remember the number off the top of my head) is two position, you just move the fuse over (it has 3 slots vs 2)

2021Leveled

Reaction score
Thanks again. I think I confused you with my question. I was wondering with fuse did you use for the white wire (lights) for the back lighting? Thanks again.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Thanks again. I think I confused you with my question. I was wondering with fuse did you use for the white wire (lights) for the back lighting? Thanks again.
Oh sorry about that, i used the clearance light fuse.

Soapy

Reaction score
In my power wagon the duse to move for keyed ignition was 90/91. Thanks for the help Fishnerd.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Havent really messed with the truck in a while so I decided to take care of some things on the to do list.

If you have a AEV rear bumper and want to still keep the bed step, the rear support bracket no longer works since the bumper support plate it fairly thick and mounts to the same bolt holes. I ran the bed step for a while but i noticed a lot of flex without supporting bracket.

To add the bracket back I took 1cm off the middle and welded it back together and added a support plate. With the bracket back on the step no longer has the flex and doesnt stress the other two bolts.

86682B85-9DE1-4D53-8547-901253A16505.jpeg

7FDEB846-0DA7-4732-AF46-B203225DB4F6.jpeg

E8CC6225-727A-46CF-9299-CBB0E7A3F4E7.jpeg

Attachments

• E110873D-37AE-420A-820C-0F4D0C639389.jpeg
    E110873D-37AE-420A-820C-0F4D0C639389.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread