Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fishnerd’s Build Thread

Fishnerd

Reaction score
What shocks are you getting?
King’s with comp adjusters, should be arriving tomorrow. When I first ordered them my wife thought it was for her rig and she was super excited. The excitement quickly faded when she realized it was for the truck (her exact words: “wait…what?!” haha)

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Still recovering from the rear track bar install, figured I would relax a bit and tackle an easier mod. It was definitely night and day in terms of effort. It literally took all of 10min:

-2x 18mm bolts
-pop out old, put in new (while compressing)
-75 lb/ft
-Done (didnt even break a sweat)
DF5CD7E6-90C9-4641-9382-188EB0266F34.jpeg
F3F9F799-7D8D-486F-B495-A091B8819F36.jpeg1824D129-C6BC-4090-A542-C4990F704453.jpeg

UglyViking

Reaction score
@Fishnerd I'm not sure about the power wagons but the 2500/3500 truck tires come way over inflated from the factory/dealer. Due to the combo of having nothing in the bed, and a taller center of gravity you may want to check the rear tires and think about airing them down a bit.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Notice any difference with the king stabilizer?
I still havent had a chance to run it through the normal paces, only experience so far is just around the block and over a couple of driveway curbs just to test for issues/noises before I get on the main road. I will be sure to follow up with a review.

Last edited:

Fishnerd

Reaction score
@Fishnerd I'm not sure about the power wagons but the 2500/3500 truck tires come way over inflated from the factory/dealer. Due to the combo of having nothing in the bed, and a taller center of gravity you may want to check the rear tires and think about airing them down a bit.
Thank you! This is actually a good reminder. I didnt realize how much they filled it until I swapped the tires, the tire center filled the new ones based on the door card (65psi if remember correctly) and during the drive home i thought my teeth were going to pop out of the sockets. I have since dropped the psi to 45 all around. I may play around with pressure more to see if that helps any.

Etoimos

Reaction score
I've not messed with sway bars since my sports car days either, other than to disconnect the front sway bar on my Jeeps when off-roading. As I'm sure you know, the track bar is mainly used to adjust the alignment of the rear axle from left to right. A beefier track bar will of course also "tighten" things up back there. The rear sway bar's main purpose is to counter act pitch/roll out back. I would think stiffing that up would help with that loose feeling you are experiencing sometimes. I do not have any experience with truck sway bars, but I would think they are much less dramatic then ones used in sports cars. Just kind of thinking out loud here for the group at large.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
I've not messed with sway bars since my sports car days either, other than to disconnect the front sway bar on my Jeeps when off-roading. As I'm sure you know, the track bar is mainly used to adjust the alignment of the rear axle from left to right. A beefier track bar will of course also "tighten" things up back there. The rear sway bar's main purpose is to counter act pitch/roll out back. I would think stiffing that up would help with that loose feeling you are experiencing sometimes. I do not have any experience with truck sway bars, but I would think they are much less dramatic then ones used in sports cars. Just kind of thinking out loud here for the group at large.
I did watch a CJC video on another thread (i think brewbud posted it) and I found it pretty interesting that the trucks are “too beefy” from the factory and implies the after market ones tone it down a bit (unless i misinterpreted the vid). The video, however, primarily focused on the front sway bar which i cant really do anything given the disconnects. Im interested as well on hearing other’s thoughts on the subject (my wallet on the other hand, is nervous haha)

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Shocks installed:

Install was pretty straight forward, but I did run into some tricky sections.

Pre-install modding:
- Painted reservoir mounts
-Thuren brake line mount (rounded the edges and painted)

Rear install:
Most difficult part was compressing the shock and trying to align the shock guard, bottom oem mount and bolt. I usually used a mini pry to align on my other installs but with the shock guard, there isnt an easy way to use one.
E981E7FB-C281-4915-9777-F262EAFE8C68.jpeg
BC9D65BA-5BAF-4E82-A48E-73EE2654C3DF.jpeg
Front install:
Most difficult part was installing the reservoir mounts. They are designed to be sandwiched between the upper isolator and the upper mount. I tried dropping the front axle as low as I could to release the spring tension but i was limited by some cables and lines. I ended up just using my spring compressor to make my life easy.
0FEF865D-E02B-4AC8-8FD1-70E9B0D5A6E3.jpeg

C039615C-5105-413C-84C9-11F664D78175.jpeg
All buttoned up:
60B3FB38-6203-4ABC-9B9F-196C39574201.jpeg

Attachments

• 72A3E799-FA0C-4FAE-9D3B-A1C1423F6609.jpeg
    72A3E799-FA0C-4FAE-9D3B-A1C1423F6609.jpeg
    524.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 095E83AE-707B-4577-8240-FA2A91F04B06.jpeg
    095E83AE-707B-4577-8240-FA2A91F04B06.jpeg
    679.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 76C86E8D-5637-4899-9209-913B2E27BD84.jpeg
    76C86E8D-5637-4899-9209-913B2E27BD84.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 61

Etoimos

Reaction score
I've got a question for you regarding the Switch Pros. Where are you grounding the individual lights at? It looks like you just connect the power wires to the switch and have to find a ground some place?

Fishnerd

Reaction score
I've got a question for you regarding the Switch Pros. Where are you grounding the individual lights at? It looks like you just connect the power wires to the switch and have to find a ground some place?
Each plug is individually grounded to a common point. That way I dont have to find muliple ground points and its plug and play from there. Here is a crude drawing:AF03384F-FCC3-4005-B136-655F1A90BEFF.jpeg

Circled is the common ground:
54917770-3227-4F72-A21F-C4583B6089A3.jpeg

Etoimos

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply and info. I'm really surprised that Switch Pros did not provide grounding terminals on their unit like the SPod does. It is the one thing I dislike about this unit. Your solution looks like a way to handle it. Did you completely replace their wiring harness with one you built, or did you just place connectors on the end of the original wires and wire in the grounds to the connectors you added?

PMHQ

Reaction score
I enjoyed this thread very much...I wish I had the dexterity and pain tolerance to do some of those things..I had a back surgery and never been the same since! I ordered a 2022 PW about 5 months ago and its not built yet...anyways, I'm going to have to find a good shop around here (Either Nor Cal or Western Nevada) to do some of the things I want to do...) I have my wheels, tires, suspension, rock sliders, and I still want to eventually get some bumpers (Not important until I mess the factory ones up) I will be getting an ARB Compressor like yours and a few other things....I was thinking of putting the compressor in the Ram Box, but I want the space---I also don't want to mount in under the truck due to water and not inside due to noise---That leaves me with the rear bulkhead in the bed or under the hood I suppose...Thank you for the post and everyones contribution---I have some more thinking to do!

Etoimos

Reaction score
I enjoyed this thread very much...I wish I had the dexterity and pain tolerance to do some of those things..I had a back surgery and never been the same since! I ordered a 2022 PW about 5 months ago and its not built yet...anyways, I'm going to have to find a good shop around here (Either Nor Cal or Western Nevada) to do some of the things I want to do...) I have my wheels, tires, suspension, rock sliders, and I still want to eventually get some bumpers (Not important until I mess the factory ones up) I will be getting an ARB Compressor like yours and a few other things....I was thinking of putting the compressor in the Ram Box, but I want the space---I also don't want to mount in under the truck due to water and not inside due to noise---That leaves me with the rear bulkhead in the bed or under the hood I suppose...Thank you for the post and everyones contribution---I have some more thinking to do!
I don't want to hijack his build thread, but I've seen someone install the ARB compressor in the cubby in the rear floor of the cab. It fits nicely there.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply and info. I'm really surprised that Switch Pros did not provide grounding terminals on their unit like the SPod does. It is the one thing I dislike about this unit. Your solution looks like a way to handle it. Did you completely replace their wiring harness with one you built, or did you just place connectors on the end of the original wires and wire in the grounds to the connectors you added?
No prob at all, hope it helped. I used the supplied switch pros harness and added plugs. I normally make my own harnesses downstream for the accessories that attach to it. I stuck to the supplied harness primarily due to the color coding to make identification easier, added the black grounds myself.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words! I went through the same thought process and analysis when i was deciding on the compressor placement. If i were to put inside the cab i would have followed el_barto’s install, you should check it out.

Etoimos

Reaction score
No prob at all, hope it helped. I used the supplied switch pros harness and added plugs. I normally make my own harnesses downstream for the accessories that attach to it. I stuck to the supplied harness primarily due to the color coding to make identification easier, added the black grounds myself.
Cool, I figured that you just used theirs for the color coding. For the accessories grounds I was thinking about using a bus bar, but your harness solution seems pretty good as well.

Users who are viewing this thread