Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Ram 3500 - Initial Impressions

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
They are the same seats regardless of console or jump "bench" seat in the middle.
@Jimmy07 debunked that in another thread. Seats with ventilation use a different foam material. In a big horn, they’d be the same but not necessarily in higher trim levels.

gpattikjr

Reaction score
@Jimmy07 debunked that in another thread. Seats with ventilation use a different foam material. In a big horn, they’d be the same but not necessarily in higher trim levels.
People are making the misconception that the non console seats are a bench and that the console seats are buckets. #1 foam has no impact on that, Dad.

SierraHog

Reaction score
I have a limited so its buckets - as I have put more miles on the truck they are feeling much better.

Appreciate this, its the exact feedback I was hoping for, and considering youre in the same area as me, its super helpful. Are you running 35s or 37?

My plan is for the Thuren 1.75"s with King 2.5s on all 4 corners with the thuren track and sway bar as well. I thought I would notice the factory sway stiffness more than I do currently but you think the Thuren sway is worth it?
35s. I ran the stock sway bar in my 17’ 2500 until I traded up to the 22 HO. Ran the stock in the HO for about 1,000 miles and then installed the Thuren stuff. The difference is definitely worth every penny, in my opinion anyway. I put a Snugtop topper on the 8’ bed so the rear end settled down quite a bit with the added weight. Overall, I love the ride.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
People are making the misconception that the non console seats are a bench and that the console seats are buckets. #1 foam has no impact on that, Dad.
Correct, they’re all technically buckets and the “bench” has no impact on seat comfort. There is different foam used in some of the seats though, which may or may not need impact comfort. Ventilated seats have the #10 foam I believe.

arx237

Reaction score
Correct, they’re all technically buckets and the “bench” has no impact on seat comfort. There is different foam used in some of the seats though, which may or may not need impact comfort. Ventilated seats have the #10 foam I believe.
My EL has ventilated fronts and #1 foam listed.

tchur1

Reaction score
35s. I ran the stock sway bar in my 17’ 2500 until I traded up to the 22 HO. Ran the stock in the HO for about 1,000 miles and then installed the Thuren stuff. The difference is definitely worth every penny, in my opinion anyway. I put a Snugtop topper on the 8’ bed so the rear end settled down quite a bit with the added weight. Overall, I love the ride.
Appreciate all of the feedback. I am between 35s and 37s so glad to hear you like the 35s and that the swaybar is well worth it. Ill make it a non negotiable when I do the rest of the suspension.

bigskyhntr

Reaction score
Try this mod for the rear... Right off Thurens website... Don is a really cool guy so don't hesitate to ring him up, he will get you squared away..

tchur1

Reaction score
Try this mod for the rear... Right off Thurens website... Don is a really cool guy so don't hesitate to ring him up, he will get you squared away..

Thanks for sharing. I actually read about that a couple weeks ago. I dont know if I love the idea of cutting that myself and reducing my payload. I dont think the ride quality from the rear end is that bad with the current stock setup but if I do want to soften it a bit this seems like a reasonable route.

ElkRam

Reaction score
Anybody else have trouble getting knee high enough to get foot on E brake? Seems like it’s way higher than it needs to be. Other than that I LOVE this BeAsT

2022 Ram 3500 SRW Limited Longhorn. 6.7 HO Pearl white.
Ordered 10/20/2021, delivered 4/14/2022

tchur1

Reaction score
Anybody else have trouble getting knee high enough to get foot on E brake? Seems like it’s way higher than it needs to be. Other than that I LOVE this BeAsT

2022 Ram 3500 SRW Limited Longhorn. 6.7 HO Pearl white.
Ordered 10/20/2021, delivered 4/14/2022
I’ll be honest I’m yet to use my e brake. Glad you’re enjoying it after that long wait!

tchur1

Reaction score
Finally was able to tow with the new truck for the frist time over the weekend, and WOW what a difference compared to my old truck.

I went to pick up our boat (2020 Mastercraft XStar) from winter storage and towed it about 500 miles home. (Long story why we keep it so far away but its worth it).

When dry and no gear we are about 8k on the trailer so its pretty light compared to what my truck can tow. When we load it up with lead, gear, and fuel its about 10k on the trailer. I cant put into words how much better this tows then my Tundra or old Chevy 2500 HD. The power is so linear its insane, you hit the throttle and it just pulls forever. I live in Lake Tahoe so coming from the central valley up Donner Summit was always a chore in my old trucks, not anymore. I was going about 65 the entire way up the pass and could have easily done 80 if I wanted. Just endless power. I got 13 MPGs the entire 500 miles home which includes a ton of climbing so I was happy with that.

The trans/exhaust brake combo is also really aggressive when descending or coming to a stop. Like you tap the brake, truck downshifts twice, exhaust brake hits and you go from 65 to 35 in 5 seconds. Its impressive.

I know there is often a ton of debate on gas vs diesel but I living where I live, there is no way id buy another gasser for any amount of towing. Its well worth the $10k IMO. I forgot to take pics of the boat hooked up to the truck but will post some this weekend when we are out again.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Finally was able to tow with the new truck for the frist time over the weekend, and WOW what a difference compared to my old truck.

I went to pick up our boat (2020 Mastercraft XStar) from winter storage and towed it about 500 miles home. (Long story why we keep it so far away but its worth it).

When dry and no gear we are about 8k on the trailer so its pretty light compared to what my truck can tow. When we load it up with lead, gear, and fuel its about 10k on the trailer. I cant put into words how much better this tows then my Tundra or old Chevy 2500 HD. The power is so linear its insane, you hit the throttle and it just pulls forever. I live in Lake Tahoe so coming from the central valley up Donner Summit was always a chore in my old trucks, not anymore. I was going about 65 the entire way up the pass and could have easily done 80 if I wanted. Just endless power. I got 13 MPGs the entire 500 miles home which includes a ton of climbing so I was happy with that.

The trans/exhaust brake combo is also really aggressive when descending or coming to a stop. Like you tap the brake, truck downshifts twice, exhaust brake hits and you go from 65 to 35 in 5 seconds. Its impressive.

I know there is often a ton of debate on gas vs diesel but I living where I live, there is no way id buy another gasser for any amount of towing. Its well worth the $10k IMO. I forgot to take pics of the boat hooked up to the truck but will post some this weekend when we are out again.

HO is a beast. Towing power will never be an issue for you haha

tchur1

Reaction score
HO is a beast. Towing power will never be an issue for you haha
Ya its incredible. It just pulls forever, had a grin ear to ear as I was climbing donner summit. Will own a cummins as long as I need to tow. I am a changed man haha

Users who are viewing this thread