Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Ram 3500 - Initial Impressions

tchur1

Reaction score
Just picked up my new 3500 Limited 3500 CCSB w/ HO Cummins yesterday. I figured I would write up a quick initial impressions for anyong thinking about ordering their first Ram like I just did. Post might get a little long so just warning.

For context I have owned a few trucks, 2004 Chevy 2500HD gasser w/ Airbags (had an arctic fox cabover camper), 2014 Tacoma, 2015 F-150 w/ 5.0 L V8 and am most recently coming from a 2019 Tundra. Towing capacity needs changed so I placed an order for my new Ram 3500 back in December and after picking it up yesterday have about 100 miles on it. So keep that in mind as these are just my initial impressions and not a fully fleshed out review.

Pros:
- Fit and finish is fantastic, I've seen some other posts recently talking about quality control but I haven't been able to see any issues with my truck. Everything feels well thought out, well designed, and high quality. This was the main reason I chose Ram over Ford when I was shopping. The truck did not disappoint.
- Ride quality - the truck is still bone stock, I have not let any air out of the tires yet and I am really pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a really harsh ride unloaded and that's just not the case. It's not my finacés X5 but its not THAT far off.
- The AISIN is WAY smoother than I anticipated. Going from 1st to second you feel the torque converter and that shift is a bit more harsh, beyond that though I really like the feel, shifts are predictable IMO and once over like 25 MPH you dont even notice it.
- Camera system is great. I still need to play with it more to understand everything it can do but super impressed.
- It has a Cummins. I dont need to say much more there.
- Cabin is SUPER quiet. All of the other trucks I have owned have been pretty loud in the cabin. Going 80 MPH+ On the freeway and I can easily have conversations at a normal level with people sitting in the back seat.
- I did not opt for the Harmon Kardon stereo so I just have the Alpine system in it, and it sounds pretty damn good to me. Im not an audiophile by any stretch but I was expecting to be disappointed here and I'm just fine with the sound. Others will disagree but I cant see the H/K being worth it. If I wanted more than the Alpine I would go after market JL or something along those lines.

Cons:
-The interior is really nice but the seats are super firm. I dont know if they will "break in" over time but they are pretty stiff/firm right now
- The steering wheel doesn't telescope out/in at all, this is bizarre to me. I almost think I am missing something here because I haven't driven a vehicle in a while where I couldn't pull the steering wheel further out.
- The adjustable pedals only move a few inches. Related to the above, getting my driving position set as I like it was not as easy as I was hoping. I have long legs but dont like to be a mile from the steering wheel so moving the pedals further away while being able to stay relatively close to the wheel would be nice. Maybe Im an idiot so tell me if there is more adjustability between the wheel and the pedals.
- This isn't a con for my driving style but others will think it is. This truck is not a rocket. Its methodical in its acceleration and you can tell it just wants to pull a house. If you want something quick then this powertrain isn't for you. I drive like a grandpa so I dont mind but figured it was worth noting.
- The RAM app is stupid/useless. I wish I was able to start the truck and then set the climate control options from the app. I know I can set it in the truck based on outside temps but I want to do it from the app. I would pay for that. What it currently offers tho, no chance.
- The front end is stiff - this will surprise no one but going through gutters, into driveways etc itll toss you around.

Planned Upgrades:
- Thuren level w/ king 2.5s on all 4 corners
- Thuren Sway bar
- Thuren Track bar
- 37s w/ method wheels (still undecided on which wheel exactly)

In summary:
I am really happy with this truck. I can't wait to tow with it. I would like to see some of the cons improve over time but dont hold a candle to all of the pros to this rig. If youre still with me, I appreciate you reading. Hope this is helpful for anyone thinking about buying one of these for the first time.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Nice write up and honest.

Try adjusting your tire pressures and see what happens. ;)

Oh and congrats on the new ride.

tchur1

Reaction score
Nice write up and honest.

Try adjusting your tire pressures and see what happens. ;)

Oh and congrats on the new ride.
Appreciate it! Planning to lower the pressure later today. I didn't get home until 830 last night from the dealer but its the first thing Im doing when I wrap up work today. I was going to lower to 55 front 50 rear unless anyone has other recommendations.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Good write up. I'd agree with 99% of it. I don't understand the stiff seat comments.. youre not he first to say that about the '22's. My '21 seats are very plush.

Also the front suspension on my truck is too "soft" in my opinion--definitely not stiff. Front is MUCH softer than the rear end.

The trans gets even better as you drive it. I have 0 complaints with the HO/Aisin--coming from a guy who owned a 2016 SO Cummins/68rfe.

jetrinka

Reaction score
- The steering wheel doesn't telescope out/in at all,
This may have to be one of my largest complaints about these trucks as well. I can't seem to get close enough to the steering wheel for my liking without my right knee contacting the front left edge of the center console.

That being said though I agree with everything else you've said. I was also very impressed by the fit and finish of especially the interior. Very well made.

Congrats on the sweet truck!

tchur1

Reaction score
Good write up. I'd agree with 99% of it. I don't understand the stiff seat comments.. youre not he first to say that about the '22's. My '21 seats are very plush.

Also the front suspension on my truck is too "soft" in my opinion--definitely not stiff. Front is MUCH softer than the rear end.

The trans gets even better as you drive it. I have 0 complaints with the HO/Aisin--coming from a guy who owned a 2016 SO Cummins/68rfe.
Maybe Im just used to driving the Mrs X5 lately which has really plush and soft seats.

Maybe I frame the front suspension part incorrectly. The sway bar is rigid as ****. This is well noted and why I will be putting a Thuren sway bar on it but the stock one has very little give.

Look forward to the trans getting better. I love the way it drives. And Ill post some pics later when I get a sec!

tchur1

Reaction score
This may have to be one of my largest complaints about these trucks as well. I can't seem to get close enough to the steering wheel for my liking without my right knee contacting the front left edge of the center console.

That being said though I agree with everything else you've said. I was also very impressed by the fit and finish of especially the interior. Very well made.

Congrats on the sweet truck!
Thanks! Ya its wild to me, sticker in this thing was 87k and doesn't have telescoping wheel? I have the exact same issue with my knee hitting the console but oh well.

Ostracize

Reaction score
Cons:
-The interior is really nice but the seats are super firm. I dont know if they will "break in" over time but they are pretty stiff/firm right now
I had a similar opinion with my '21 limited. Took and bit and it's possible my a$$ just got used to it but I don't think that's the case... the seats feel better now.

tchur1

Reaction score
I had a similar opinion with my '21 limited. Took and bit and it's possible my a$$ just got used to it but I don't think that's the case... the seats feel better now.
Maybe its my excuse to gain 20-30 pounds. Just to soften up the seats a bit.

tchur1

Reaction score
Squats until you can gluteus punch that leather into submission. :p
View attachment 35051
This is my goal - headed to the gym as we speak.
Might need one of these :D

View attachment 35052
I really hope Im too young to need one of these. For like 40 more years.
Still can’t believe they don’t have telescopic steering - especially in the limited trim. I’d rather that than the adjustable pedals.
Totally agree. The pedals dont move enough to really change anything.

JMT

Reaction score
I agree on the seats, actually started a thread on them. I have 1800 miles on mine now (not my daily driver) and they still feel like I'm sitting on a piece of plywood. Worst seats in a truck I've ever had. I know this sounds extreme but if they don't change it would b the reason I trade it off. Wife hates them as much as I do.

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
Maybe Im just used to driving the Mrs X5 lately which has really plush and soft seats.

Maybe I frame the front suspension part incorrectly. The sway bar is rigid as ****. This is well noted and why I will be putting a Thuren sway bar on it but the stock one has very little give.

Look forward to the trans getting better. I love the way it drives. And Ill post some pics later when I get a sec!
That's exactly it on the 22, the springs are too soft and the sway bar is too stiff on the front. My other complaint is the thick overload on the rear leafs.

My plan is the Carli add a pack for the rear and either Thuren or Carli coils for the front.

I'm spoiled by the full replacement leafs on my 04, replacement coils and Thuren swaybar with Fox shocks.

PD Luke

Reaction score
Just picked up my new 3500 Limited 3500 CCSB w/ HO Cummins yesterday. I figured I would write up a quick initial impressions for anyong thinking about ordering their first Ram like I just did. Post might get a little long so just warning.

For context I have owned a few trucks, 2004 Chevy 2500HD gasser w/ Airbags (had an arctic fox cabover camper), 2014 Tacoma, 2015 F-150 w/ 5.0 L V8 and am most recently coming from a 2019 Tundra. Towing capacity needs changed so I placed an order for my new Ram 3500 back in December and after picking it up yesterday have about 100 miles on it. So keep that in mind as these are just my initial impressions and not a fully fleshed out review.

Pros:
- Fit and finish is fantastic, I've seen some other posts recently talking about quality control but I haven't been able to see any issues with my truck. Everything feels well thought out, well designed, and high quality. This was the main reason I chose Ram over Ford when I was shopping. The truck did not disappoint.
- Ride quality - the truck is still bone stock, I have not let any air out of the tires yet and I am really pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a really harsh ride unloaded and that's just not the case. It's not my finacés X5 but its not THAT far off.
- The AISIN is WAY smoother than I anticipated. Going from 1st to second you feel the torque converter and that shift is a bit more harsh, beyond that though I really like the feel, shifts are predictable IMO and once over like 25 MPH you dont even notice it.
- Camera system is great. I still need to play with it more to understand everything it can do but super impressed.
- It has a Cummins. I dont need to say much more there.
- Cabin is SUPER quiet. All of the other trucks I have owned have been pretty loud in the cabin. Going 80 MPH+ On the freeway and I can easily have conversations at a normal level with people sitting in the back seat.
- I did not opt for the Harmon Kardon stereo so I just have the Alpine system in it, and it sounds pretty damn good to me. Im not an audiophile by any stretch but I was expecting to be disappointed here and I'm just fine with the sound. Others will disagree but I cant see the H/K being worth it. If I wanted more than the Alpine I would go after market JL or something along those lines.

Cons:
- The steering wheel doesn't telescope out/in at all, this is bizarre to me. I almost think I am missing something here because I haven't driven a vehicle in a while where I couldn't pull the steering wheel further out.
- The adjustable pedals only move a few inches. Related to the above, getting my driving position set as I like it was not as easy as I was hoping. I have long legs but dont like to be a mile from the steering wheel so moving the pedals further away while being able to stay relatively close to the wheel would be nice. Maybe Im an idiot so tell me if there is more adjustability between the wheel and the pedals.
- This isn't a con for my driving style but others will think it is. This truck is not a rocket. Its methodical in its acceleration and you can tell it just wants to pull a house. If you want something quick then this powertrain isn't for you. I drive like a grandpa so I dont mind but figured it was worth noting.
- The RAM app is stupid/useless. I wish I was able to start the truck and then set the climate control options from the app. I know I can set it in the truck based on outside temps but I want to do it from the app. I would pay for that. What it currently offers tho, no chance.
- The front end is stiff - this will surprise no one but going through gutters, into driveways etc itll toss you around.

Planned Upgrades:
- Thuren level w/ king 2.5s on all 4 corners
- Thuren Sway bar
- Thuren Track bar
- 37s w/ method wheels (still undecided on which wheel exactly)

In summary:
I am really happy with this truck. I can't wait to tow with it. I would like to see some of the cons improve over time but dont hold a candle to all of the pros to this rig. If youre still with me, I appreciate you reading. Hope this is helpful for anyone thinking about buying one of these for the first time.
We just got home from MD with out new 3500 Laramie HO SRW Long bed with factory air suspension. It was 1220 miles for us taking a couple days as a family to see a few sights. I agree on all the Pros you listed. The Aisin was way better than I expected based on other posts here. We took the tire pressure down to 65 front / 60 rear. It rode better than our previous 2500's. Fuel mileage was better than our previous trucks too. Hand calculated mileage for 2 fill ups was 18.7 and 17.2 at a majority of highway driving. For 4 days into driving this truck....... I love it, love it, love it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Trans learn mode will adapt. Don't try to drive around the shifts. Just put your foot in it and let er rip.

I run around town in TH with full EB and mine shifts great. It was a bit harsh after the last software update but settled down pretty quick. The 22's should be all sorted out.

2 years in (only ~11K miles) and my seats are still firm, but comfortable. I have an expensive Steelcase office chair that is not IMHO as comfortable to sit in all day as the truck.

As said, lower the tire pressure (and the factory tires suck). the CCLB air ride trucks (and probably the Mega) are much smoother IMHO.

55/50 is good on the Cummins or it will get mushy and the front end will push too much. Maybe the OEM tires can go lower, I replaced them right away and never played with the pressures.

tchur1

Reaction score
I agree on the seats, actually started a thread on them. I have 1800 miles on mine now (not my daily driver) and they still feel like I'm sitting on a piece of plywood. Worst seats in a truck I've ever had. I know this sounds extreme but if they don't change it would b the reason I trade it off. Wife hates them as much as I do.
Bummer to hear they have not softened up for you at all. I dont think it would drive me into a new truck because Im pretty in love with everything else (maybe its honeymoon phase) but I do wish they were a bit softer.
That's exactly it on the 22, the springs are too soft and the sway bar is too stiff on the front. My other complaint is the thick overload on the rear leafs.

My plan is the Carli add a pack for the rear and either Thuren or Carli coils for the front.

I'm spoiled by the full replacement leafs on my 04, replacement coils and Thuren swaybar with Fox shocks.
Ya Im not going to change the rear leaf pack for now, I want the payload capacity, thats why I bought a 3500 but dont blame you for going that route.

I am definitely going Thuren 1.75 coils up front though with sway and track bar and King 2.5s on all 4 corners. I like the ride now so if the improvements with the Thuren stuff is as good as everyone says then i'll be thrilled.
Trans learn mode will adapt. Don't try to drive around the shifts. Just put your foot in it and let er rip.

I run around town in TH with full EB and mine shifts great. It was a bit harsh after the last software update but settled down pretty quick. The 22's should be all sorted out.

2 years in (only ~11K miles) and my seats are still firm, but comfortable. I have an expensive Steelcase office chair that is not IMHO as comfortable to sit in all day as the truck.

As said, lower the tire pressure (and the factory tires suck). the CCLB air ride trucks (and probably the Mega) are much smoother IMHO.

55/50 is good on the Cummins or it will get mushy and the front end will push too much. Maybe the OEM tires can go lower, I replaced them right away and never played with the pressures.
Good to know on the trans, Im probably babying it too much right now so i'll be more aggressive with it. I tend to drive pretty conservatively as is but I wont worry about driving around the shifts. Thanks for the heads up. About how many miles does it take for the trans to learn?

Also I dropped the tires to 55/50 and the difference was drastic to say the least. Im planning to move to 35 or 37s on 17s or 18s soon and run them at like 45/40 unloaded so Im sure that along with suspension upgrades will make this ride like a dream.

Pics from the dealer, i'm lazy and forgot to take some before it got dark.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 8.25.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 8.25.20 PM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 8.25.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 8.25.28 PM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 75

Users who are viewing this thread