Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil Change - Interesting Result

idratherplaytennis

Reaction score
Do you guys use the oem Mopar filters when you replace? I read somewhere a part number, then Amazon in its infinite wisdom says that part doesn’t fit my truck. So I’m still trying to find the actual Mopar number. I’m not beyond going with off-brand stuff, but honestly, my Chevy had amazing windshield wipers and I was happy with a lot of their AC Delco oem stuff, so I kept putting on what they had with far better luck compared to off-brand stuff like headlight bulbs when I did try the off-brand stuff. The oem just usually performed better.

jadmt

Reaction score
Do you guys use the oem Mopar filters when you replace? I read somewhere a part number, then Amazon in its infinite wisdom says that part doesn’t fit my truck. So I’m still trying to find the actual Mopar number. I’m not beyond going with off-brand stuff, but honestly, my Chevy had amazing windshield wipers and I was happy with a lot of their AC Delco oem stuff, so I kept putting on what they had with far better luck compared to off-brand stuff like headlight bulbs when I did try the off-brand stuff. The oem just usually performed better.

Attachments

• IMG_20210814_192329358.jpg
    IMG_20210814_192329358.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 38

idratherplaytennis

Reaction score
Thank you for that image. It's the model number I actually looked up originally on Amazon. Like they would know a screw from a nail.. Anyways. I just wanted to make sure they didn't have a lot of different models since I know there's a whole bunch of different Ram models. I'll start looking around for somewhere to get that locally so I can change out the starter oil.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I have had a similar experience to the OP. Changed my oil last night at about 800 miles but switched to Redline 0w40 (due to other Hemi owners liking it and it having a good additive package) and I also feel like the truck runs much quieter. Two days prior I had been to a drive-through pharmacy to pick up some medication for my wife and the engine noise echoing off the wall was much louder than now. Went through another drive-through last night after the oil change, same scenario but the noise was drastically less. Same conditions, oil temp, run-time, etc.

Smittys2500RAM

Reaction score
Well I have just over 1000 miles now and after reading a few threads here Im thinking of doing an oil change. I have heard Fleet Guard or Stratopore LF16035 is recommended for the oil filter. Also heard Valvoline Blue for the oil is good for these trucks. Oh I have a 2021 RAM 2500 Cummins. Saw this for the oil filter change and it looks helpful. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...e38b55080beafaecb53c24e59b9893&language=en_US

jetrinka

Reaction score
Well I have just over 1000 miles now and after reading a few threads here Im thinking of doing an oil change. I have heard Fleet Guard or Stratopore LF16035 is recommended for the oil filter. Also heard Valvoline Blue for the oil is good for these trucks. Oh I have a 2021 RAM 2500 Cummins. Saw this for the oil filter change and it looks helpful. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...e38b55080beafaecb53c24e59b9893&language=en_US

You may get better feedback in the Diesel forum as the Power Wagon only came with the gas engine.

However yes Fleetguard makes an excellent filter for the Cummins and Valvoline Blue is a very good diesel oil. My father uses it in his 15 F350 Diesel. You can't go wrong with either choice.

Smittys2500RAM

Reaction score
You may get better feedback in the Diesel forum as the Power Wagon only came with the gas engine.

However yes Fleetguard makes an excellent filter for the Cummins and Valvoline Blue is a very good diesel oil. My father uses it in his 15 F350 Diesel. You can't go wrong with either choice.
Yikes, just realized that. Ill head over to the diesel side..... Thx!!

CJTEX

Just came here to flex
Reaction score
Anyone running amsoil? Thoughts? I ran redline in my 5.0 f150 and it ran great, just a pain to get sometimes

amero®

Reaction score
My thoughts on this you are the person spending 70k too 120k for the truck not the guy behind the counter at the dealership your truck !!! Not his change oil every week if you want all your choice

brand new freashy motor going to be tight tight myself put 700kms around 500 miles now want to seat the rings and pistons in ( full stroke) hooked a 11000 pound trailer on and worked the truck for 500 miles on hwy at 3000km truck is going in for oil change why? because I want to and its my truck

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Anyone running amsoil? Thoughts? I ran redline in my 5.0 f150 and it ran great, just a pain to get sometimes

I've put AMSoil in all my vehicles.. no issues with any current (or past) vehicles.
I just buy directly from AMSoil.

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
I am the OP, just did my 2nd oil change and had about 7k miles on the oil. I thought I had noticed a little more valve noise but after the change, it quieted down some again. That being said, I am thinking 6K-7k mile oil changes are about right.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I am the OP, just did my 2nd oil change and had about 7k miles on the oil. I thought I had noticed a little more valve noise but after the change, it quieted down some again. That being said, I am thinking 6K-7k mile oil changes are about right.
I do around 6k-7k now as well. Just switched to WIX xp filters from mopar on my last 2 oil changes. I did 1k, 5k, 5k on my first three, respectively.

It may be in my head but I think I get a few thousand more miles out of the wix xp before I get the “dry start tick” but when I hear that, I know it’s time for a oil/filter change.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I do around 6k-7k now as well. Just switched to WIX xp filters from mopar on my last 2 oil changes. I did 1k, 5k, 5k on my first three, respectively.

It may be in my head but I think I get a few thousand more miles out of the wix xp before I get the “dry start tick” but when I hear that, I know it’s time for a oil/filter change.

WIX has a better ADBV than the Mopar for sure.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Maybe I’m not crazy then

You’re not crazy at all. Google research shows that Mopar filters ADBV doesn’t work well especially when aged. Tend to cause oil to drain from lifter galleys when engines sit especially one engines with horizontally mounted filters like ours. Good silicone valves seal better for longer.

thkbaron

Reaction score
I have had a similar experience to the OP. Changed my oil last night at about 800 miles but switched to Redline 0w40 (due to other Hemi owners liking it and it having a good additive package) and I also feel like the truck runs much quieter. Two days prior I had been to a drive-through pharmacy to pick up some medication for my wife and the engine noise echoing off the wall was much louder than now. Went through another drive-through last night after the oil change, same scenario but the noise was drastically less. Same conditions, oil temp, run-time, etc.
I need your money. 14 bucks a quart. Damn. I was bitching about the 10 for the signature Amsoil . I'll probably get on mine about 1000 miles in.

akguy09

Reaction score
anyone have a P/N for the WIX filter? I use the Redline 0w40 also, still cheaper than changing the oil on my old Cummins

Users who are viewing this thread