Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil Change - Interesting Result

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
There are those that preach an oil change is not needed after the first 500 miles or so for break in. The manual does not say to do so, and even the technician at the shop double checked with me to make sure I was serious when I brought the truck in with 650 miles on the clock. He said, "You don't need to change the oil on these new trucks this soon." I replied, "That what I am told, but please proceed." He smiled and nodded. I am a bit old school when the break in periods were critical in engines, having rebuilt a few on my own, but the norm these days seems to be headed towards the opposite mentality.

When to took delivery of the truck, I observed the engine was louder than I expected at idle. I am not talking of exhaust, but the engine itself, the mechanical whir of internal parts, was noisy. It reminded me of the big CAT engines running natural gas in the oil field. When stopped at a light, I could feel the idle was not the smoothest either but not bad compared to vehicles I drive. After a couple of weeks, I accepted this must be a big Hemi thing and tried to shove it to the back of my mind. But, a tiny voice in the back of my mind was tapping me on the shoulder saying, "You need to change the oil after 500 miles. Get that crud out of there. You know what you have to do. Do it...do it."

I changed the oil today with the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 per the manual and after reading quite a bit on the subject. After done, I left the shop and headed home to let a bunch of air they had added back in my tires. I like to run the E rated 35s at 50 psig front, 40 rear, low pressure light be darned. When home, using my gauge, I let a gob of pressure out of the tires and fired up the truck to compare the pressures it was reading against my gauge.

I hopped out to make the comparison and it happened

My ears twitched with pleasure, there it was, the truck was idling much more quietly. I don't mean maybe or barely, I mean a whole lot more quiet. It was enough that even though I was not thinking about it or expecting it, I noticed almost immediately. The idle is also noticeably smoother. For those that know engines, have built them, have knowledge of all the mechanics of what is going on in there, this is a big deal. When you can actually hear the difference in the quality of lubrication of the rotating parts, it is significant. The little voice has moved on to some other pressing issue like how much beer I drink or what temperature the HVAC is set at the house, or maybe the....

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Just got mine last night. At 100 miles now.
Today, both my buddy, and later the wife, said it sounded like a diesel.
I'll be doing a oil change at 500 as planned. And yea, I've built a few engines. Stock V8s, high horse power blown V8's and Harley V twins.

jadmt

Reaction score
There are those that preach an oil change is not needed after the first 500 miles or so for break in. The manual does not say to do so, and even the technician at the shop double checked with me to make sure I was serious when I brought the truck in with 650 miles on the clock. He said, "You don't need to change the oil on these new trucks this soon." I replied, "That what I am told, but please proceed." He smiled and nodded. I am a bit old school when the break in periods were critical in engines, having rebuilt a few on my own, but the norm these days seems to be headed towards the opposite mentality.

When to took delivery of the truck, I observed the engine was louder than I expected at idle. I am not talking of exhaust, but the engine itself, the mechanical whir of internal parts, was noisy. It reminded me of the big CAT engines running natural gas in the oil field. When stopped at a light, I could feel the idle was not the smoothest either but not bad compared to vehicles I drive. After a couple of weeks, I accepted this must be a big Hemi thing and tried to shove it to the back of my mind. But, a tiny voice in the back of my mind was tapping me on the shoulder saying, "You need to change the oil after 500 miles. Get that crud out of there. You know what you have to do. Do it...do it."

I changed the oil today with the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 per the manual and after reading quite a bit on the subject. After done, I left the shop and headed home to let a bunch of air they had added back in my tires. I like to run the E rated 35s at 50 psig front, 40 rear, low pressure light be darned. When home, using my gauge, I let a gob of pressure out of the tires and fired up the truck to compare the pressures it was reading against my gauge.

My ears twitched with pleasure, there it was, the truck was idling much more quietly. I don't mean maybe or barely, I mean a whole lot more quiet. It was enough that even though I was not thinking about it or expecting it, I noticed almost immediately. The idle is also noticeably smoother. For those that know engines, have built them, have knowledge of all the mechanics of what is going on in there, this is a big deal. When you can actually hear the difference in the quality of lubrication of the rotating parts, it is significant. The little voice has moved on to some other pressing issue like how much beer I drink or what temperature the HVAC is set at the house, or maybe the....
I run my rear Toyo e rated 35's at 35 psi and the fronts 45psi and no low pressure light for me thanks to the procal snap :) as a bonus my speedometer and odometer are spot on too..

whitexc

Reaction score

What filter did you choose to run? Oil and filters are very subjective. I have never been a Pennzoil fan (for no valid reason really) but some say it works in these engines and won't break the bank.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
What filter did you choose to run? Oil and filters are very subjective. I have never been a Pennzoil fan (for no valid reason really) but some say it works in these engines and won't break the bank.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I asked and they claimed it was equal to the Mopar part number. It will get changed every 5k miles as well. I am not a Pennzoil fan either and would not go through the trouble to find a shop that carries it if:
1. These engines didn't have so many failures later in life.
2. It was not specifically recommended in the manual and specifically mentions twice the FCA oil certification required.
3. I would change it myself but value the receipt proving it was changed on a specific date and mileage for my 8 year warranty.

If this was a Tundra V8, I could run olive oil in it for 250k, and it would be fine, but feel like I need to pamper the Hemi to get that kind of life out of it.

idratherplaytennis

Reaction score
This is good to know. My truck is right over 300 after having bought it on the 4th and I know I did my first change in my 2011 1-ton Chevy Diesel after 500, but I was thinking more on this one around the 1000 mark from my Uncle who's rebuilt engines. Not sure what the sweet spot is but I have noticed now and then it idles differently and the same a little bit now and then when I reverse or what not. I have a bigger learning curve since I've been driving diesel trucks since I learned to drive like 20 years ago though, so the gasser is all new to me. My uncle also recommended just going with synthetic after the change because it's just 'better'. Better for old, might as well go with it for new as well. Not sure about that, but he's done a lot of personal hobby work on cars in the past taking care of his stuff for decades so, I'll have to research myself it would seem.

Regarding oil changes and the proof for warranty stuff- so, does changing the truck oil yourself basically void the warranty work if something comes into question? I've never been a fan of letting others change my oil because of how they just spin the filter off and let the oil flood everywhere on everything, and pretty much always opted to changing fluids myself to keep things clean- that said, I did get a 7-year 100,000 warranty on electrical and mechanical on the truck and it never even occurred to me to ask about something like changing the oil myself.

Flyfingers

Reaction score
The Magnuson - Moss Warranty Act insures that a manufacturer cannot deny coverage if the owner does their own oil changes. Just keep receipts of purchased oil / filters. I even go so far as to keep the actual oil filter in a baggie with date / mileage oil was changed. Just keep them in an old shoe box in a metal cabinet in the garage. I also keep track via the Mopar owners site under the maintenance section as well as on my home computer. I'm old school and a bit of a freak about oil changes. OK I'm a total nut job in that I change it every 2,000 - 2500 miles. My current ride is a '21 Ram 1500 (looking to upgrade to a 2500) with 5,000 miles and 3 oil changes with the first being at 700. Oil is cheap, EZ to do, and gives a piece of mind. Wasteful? Most certainly. Needed? Most certainly not but it floats my boat so whatever.

idratherplaytennis

Reaction score
The Magnuson - Moss Warranty Act insures that a manufacturer cannot deny coverage if the owner does their own oil changes. Just keep receipts of purchased oil / filters. I even go so far as to keep the actual oil filter in a baggie with date / mileage oil was changed. Just keep them in an old shoe box in a metal cabinet in the garage. I also keep track via the Mopar owners site under the maintenance section as well as on my home computer. I'm old school and a bit of a freak about oil changes. OK I'm a total nut job in that I change it every 2,000 - 2500 miles. My current ride is a '21 Ram 1500 (looking to upgrade to a 2500) with 5,000 miles and 3 oil changes with the first being at 700. Oil is cheap, EZ to do, and gives a piece of mind. Wasteful? Most certainly. Needed? Most certainly not but it floats my boat so whatever.
Hehe, thanks. I appreciate the info. Been working since I posted that and was planning to research tonight. I feel better knowing as long as I save receipts and track changes I’m good. Things are so crazy now with covid pricing anyways, I really gotta save a buck where I can. Not looking forward to this oil change though. I read somewhere that the newer power wagon filters are in a spot where the engineer who designed it should be shot

Flyfingers

Reaction score
Yeah my current '21 Ram 1500 has the 5.7 and it's a bit of a chore however once you remove the original Hulk fitted filter, future changes are much easier as you only put them on with a solid hand tightness. All in all not that big of an issue really - it's just that first filter removal.

jadmt

Reaction score
Hehe, thanks. I appreciate the info. Been working since I posted that and was planning to research tonight. I feel better knowing as long as I save receipts and track changes I’m good. Things are so crazy now with covid pricing anyways, I really gotta save a buck where I can. Not looking forward to this oil change though. I read somewhere that the newer power wagon filters are in a spot where the engineer who designed it should be shot
not true lol. I have a 2020 PW and change my own oil (Always have and never once had an issue with warranty work) and the PW is simple. Just reach up and remove the filter. there is even a little built in tray/funnel to catch the drips. If people are having trouble with the filter they probably should not be changing their own oil.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Maybe they changed the 2021 PW then. While its not impossible to change the filter on the 6.4, it is a pain. Unless you are a contortionist.

Granted the original factory filter was on extra tight and took a bit to remove, even with only 500 miles on it. But with a good cup type filter wrench, it is possible to remove it.

The plastic "funnel" they have installed works, but its there because you can't easily get to the filter.

And I've been changing my own oil on my cars, trucks and motorcycles for over 50 years. This one is by far the hardest to get to.

Ford and Chevy V8's are about the easiest.

jadmt

Reaction score
Maybe they changed the 2021 PW then. While its not impossible to change the filter on the 6.4, it is a pain. Unless you are a contortionist.

Granted the original factory filter was on extra tight and took a bit to remove, even with only 500 miles on it. But with a good cup type filter wrench, it is possible to remove it.

The plastic "funnel" they have installed works, but its there because you can't easily get to the filter.

And I've been changing my own oil on my cars, trucks and motorcycles for over 50 years. This one is by far the hardest to get to.

Ford and Chevy V8's are about the easiest.
they are exactly the same ie 21's and earlier. I have been changing my own oil since the early 70's, maybe you went in at the wrong angle or something. I changed it the first time at 1010 miles and I just reached in and twisted off. My buddy did the same with his new PW recently and he said the same. I have changed it a couple of times since then and the same thing.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
There is not a whole lot of room to reach up in from the front, up and over the motor for the sway bar disconnect, to reach the filter. I can't see any other way of doing it.

Ford, Chevy, even my Hyundai, is on the bottom of the motor, easy to get to.

My power Wagon is off the front of the motor, on the end of a oil cooler, above the sway bar disconnect motor.

Or maybe my arms/hands are too big to reach up in there?

jadmt

Reaction score
There is not a whole lot of room to reach up in from the front, up and over the motor for the sway bar disconnect, to reach the filter. I can't see any other way of doing it.

Ford, Chevy, even my Hyundai, is on the bottom of the motor, easy to get to.

My power Wagon is off the front of the motor, on the end of a oil cooler, above the sway bar disconnect motor.

Or maybe my arms/hands are too big to reach up in there?
I have pretty big arms (ran a jackhammer for 10 years 8 hours a day and they used to call me Popeye) I'm thinking you are going about it wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20210722_150835553.jpg
    IMG_20210722_150835553.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210722_150821956.jpg
    IMG_20210722_150821956.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 101

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Yep, that's how I did it. Even had the truck up on a lift. Used a cup type filter wrench and ratchet. Still not much room up there.
Funny, my wife says I have Popeye forearms as well.

jadmt

Reaction score
So I just changed oil a few minutes ago and reach in remove filter no tools needed for filter no skinned knuckles. No mess.

Users who are viewing this thread