Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil change and engine developed a loud clatter/ticking noise at 1500+ rpms

flan

Reaction score
Hydraulic lifters are almost always quieter than their mechanical counterparts. The ability of the lifter to pump up to zero lash regardless of temperature accomplishes this.
That was one of the reasons they were spec’d out for the ram, to REDUCE noise, not increase. Noisy lifters have something going on. Other noises have been confused for lifter noise, a few have heard tapping thinking it was lifters but when pressure was applied to the belt tensioner the noise went away. Check there first.

301cummins

Reaction score
Shoot I ran mine without the belt. Still did it. I’m gonna try pushrods. Need to find torque specs for rockers first.

Mackattack1516

Reaction score
My 19’ with 170K started making a rather quiet ticking noise, At first it sounded like the clutch fan was hitting something. Only seems to make noise when idling (700rpm) and warm, it also comes and goes...

flan

Reaction score
My 19’ with 170K started making a rather quiet ticking noise, At first it sounded like the clutch fan was hitting something. Only seems to make noise when idling (700rpm) and warm, it also comes and goes...
Could be tensioner pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread