Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FCA 2017 3500 CUMMINS 6.7 HO EMISSIONS RECALL #67A

WRCLVR

Reaction score
Never thought to look at it until you mentioned it, but I would absolutely concur. My 22’s crossover tube is not even remotely as discolored as my 17 was.
Yeah my 2017 HO 3500 dually crossover tube is also gold blue colored..It doesnt use much DEF at all..Then again it only has just turned 18K miles..lol..67A wil change that , I guess ( when I get it done ) Oh well ....as long as all the other controls and Aisin tranny stay same, Im good.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
There must be a different strategy with the SO motors, as mine is almost purple. I recall this conversation in the past @AH64ID.

Yes I recalled that too. I was too tired to search it last night.

I should get a thread going for a “poll”.

Yeah my 2017 HO 3500 dually crossover tube is also gold blue colored..It doesnt use much DEF at all..Then again it only has just turned 18K miles..lol..67A wil change that , I guess ( when I get it done ) Oh well ....as long as all the other controls and Aisin tranny stay same, Im good.

More DEF consumption is a good thing, it means the EGR isn’t as needed.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I’ve got an 2006 sprinter (Mercedes). They had a similar recall that one was for the map sensor to operate so it changed things to make the EGR work more efficiently. The egrs on those things fail regularly so getting them to work more in a bad idea. The recall also caused ghost issues on the cluster which could kill the battery. My point is, I wouldn’t get the recall done to help the emissions system unless it’s a safety issue or your state won’t let you register it. But that’s my 2 cents

moparfan06

Reaction score
What kind of fuel economy do you see?
(Hand calculated not based on the EViC)
If you achieved an average fuel economy of 20mpg (which would be rare) over that 5,000 miles, you would have consumed 250 gallons of fuel. DEF consumption should run between 2% and 5% of fuel consumed. Since DEF consumption and fuel consumption are directly related. 2% of 250 gallons is 5 gallons (which is double the amount you’re claiming you use). I've never seen a truck achieve anything below 2%.
I've never hand calculated the fuel milage. If the DEF usage is still in the 2 to 5 % range after the 67A, I don't think its excessive. One of my co-workers who has an '18 3500 HO is convinced it will be much higher DEF usage and so he doesn't want the update done. I've been trying to learn what will change before I commit to having the recall done on mine.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I've never hand calculated the fuel milage. If the DEF usage is still in the 2 to 5 % range after the 67A, I don't think its excessive. One of my co-workers who has an '18 3500 HO is convinced it will be much higher DEF usage and so he doesn't want the update done. I've been trying to learn what will change before I commit to having the recall done on mine.
Remember more DEF means less EGR which means a longer lasting engine /DPF

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never hand calculated the fuel milage. If the DEF usage is still in the 2 to 5 % range after the 67A, I don't think it’s excessive. One of my co-workers who has an '18 3500 HO is convinced it will be much higher DEF usage and so he doesn't want the update done. I've been trying to learn what will change before I commit to having the recall done on mine.
It will definitely change the def consumption (higher) but not enough to worry about.
DEF is a better solution to achieving NOx reduction over EGR use and it’s fairly inexpensive.
I’m getting 500 miles or more per gallon of DEF in my 2022, which would have the current updated NOx sensor strategy that the 2019 - 2013 trucks will be getting with the VB6 and 67A recall updates. I owned a 2017 and sold it before any of this litigation happened. Now that I’ve been in this 2022 for two years, I can honestly say I really don’t notice any real difference even though I know this truck uses “more” DEF than the 2017. It’s just not an expensive part of ownership.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

You’ll use more DEF and hopefully less EGR. It’s worth getting done for the lower EGR use possibility.

I’m always amazed how afraid of DEF people are. It’s so much better than EGR, and an insignificant cost or hassle.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m always amazed how afraid of DEF people are. It’s so much better than EGR, and an insignificant cost or hassle.
A lot of this has to do with the propensity of people to believe everything they read and see on the internet and social media, and then regurgitate it as if it is gospel. There’s an almost endless cacophony of posts about how it’s “useless” and “troublesome” on social media. Meanwhile the vast majority of owners have little to know real understanding of how the system functions, the science behind how it works, and the reality which is that the fluid does indeed do what it is intended to. The simple truth is that the science is sound, the system does what its intended to, it is a far better way of reducing NOx as opposed to EGR cycling, and on the whole the systems are incredibly reliable. I would happily wager that a significant portion (perhaps a strong majority) of the DEF related failures in these trucks can be traced back to some aspect of owner / operator error. Mishandling or improper storage of the DEF itself, using poor or outdated fluid, carelessly filling the tank and allowing contamination inside, overfilling the tank beyond its rated capacity, running the tank carelessly low on fluid, etc etc.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don't mind using when it works right but the constant freeze ups and lost time is a big cost/ hassle as it’s in the heart of plowing season. Also the smell of the exhaust is horrendous with the DEF. I may throw the DPF back on and have the 90A recall completed just to see what happens i have emissions on and off tunes already so the only thing it will cost me is time of installing the exhaust.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't mind using when it works right but the constant freeze ups and lost time is a big cost/ hassle as it’s in the heart of plowing season. Also the smell of the exhaust is horrendous with the DEF. I may throw the DPF back on and have the 90A recall completed just to see what happens i have emissions on and off tunes already so the only thing it will cost me is time of installing the exhaust.

Yeah I can’t blame you, but you understand the system and had a need to use the truck. The blanket fear of DEF is what I find interesting, it’s a very misunderstood system.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah I can’t blame you, but you understand the system and had a need to use the truck. The blanket fear of DEF is what I find interesting, it’s a very misunderstood system.
I Absolutely agree with you, I blame youtube there is so much miss information on there about these systems and the reliability of them

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t understand how there’s such a problem with the tanks freezing up North. DEF freezes at 12°F and below and there’s more than enough electrical heat in the system to thaw the fluid above the freezing point. The truck is programmed not to attempt to move any fluid until the sensor detects a fluid temp well above the freezing point. The only time I can see it being potentially an issue is if the operator overfilled the tank and the fluid froze in the filler neck where the heated fluid can’t reach it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don’t understand how there’s such a problem with the tanks freezing up North. DEF freezes at 12°F and below and there’s more than enough electrical heat in the system to thaw the fluid above the freezing point. The truck is programmed not to attempt to move any fluid until the sensor detects a fluid temp well above the freezing point. The only time I can see it being potentially an issue is if the operator overfilled the tank and the fluid froze in the filler neck where the heated fluid can’t reach it.
its the way the heater thaws it the system starts to use it faster than the heater can thaw it to my understanding but at -45 at highway speeds that heater cant keep up causing the system to cause issues. My tank had to be dropped 3 times within a few weeks and the pump pulled as the DEF pickup was completely crystallized even after the DEF was thawed once cleaned it was reinstalled and the dealer reset the system.

The way the system has to be reset if not reset by a dealer scanner is also a huge PITA driving 15 mins on flat rd with no bumps is basically impossible here as all we have is hills and bumps lol

The ultrasonic sensors also are problematic with the ice its all around a bad setup that im sure the 90A covers. I never ran it empty i have never had an issue when filled to the top in the summer but typically i would fill at 1/4 tank with 2.5gal and that would give me 3/4 tank.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the programming has changed. Last winter I spent a few days below 12°F, as low as -18°F, and watching my DEF temp on the CTS3 there was no indication the truck tried to thaw the DEF until the ambient temp was above 12°F. The temp finally got above 12°F on my way home, about 90 minutes into the drive, and within minutes the DEF temp was above 20°F and the truck started injecting DEF.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I think the programming has changed. Last winter I spent a few days below 12°F, as low as -18°F, and watching my DEF temp on the CTS3 there was no indication the truck tried to thaw the DEF until the ambient temp was above 12°F. The temp finally got above 12°F on my way home, about 90 minutes into the drive, and within minutes the DEF temp was above 20°F and the truck started injecting DEF.
There is a programming change yes but the 90A also changes out the pump assembly

Users who are viewing this thread