Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FCA 2017 3500 CUMMINS 6.7 HO EMISSIONS RECALL #67A

WRCLVR

Reaction score
HEY GUYS,

i just received in the mail a notice of a recall from FCA for my 2017 3500 DRW 6.7L HO 4x4 . It is listed as Emissions recall 67A D truck engine Calibration on the notice. Has any one here gotten that? Do we know what the "upgraded caliabration " actually does?
I am a little on the edge about FCA/ RAM right now as the last recall I had done Nov 2022 to Feb 2023 ( Y26 wheel studs ) took 3 months + 4 visits and the dealer ( Ed Voyles in Marietta GA ) tried to sell me "updated engine calibration " and " updated Aisin AS69 transmission calibration " for $500 They also installed my outside rear wheels in the wrong position and bent the inner air valves badly. Plus they never did the the front axle grease on the hidden grease fitting despite me asking and having it on the service invoice.

Truck was bought brand new in May 2017 and has 17900 miles on it. yes 17900...lol Still looks brand new...

If there are Master RAM service techs on here , can you please check into this 67A recall and see what the engine calibration actually fixes and what the changes are ?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

WRCLVR

Reaction score
Yes Thanks !
i just found and read this..BUT what is changed on the flash? Does it also reprogram the AISIN transmission?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Not a lot is known about it yet.

WRCLVR

Reaction score
ramforum has morediscussion but no real info as the what the flash does or if it also reprograms the transmission ( mine is Aisin AS69RC w 4.10 rear Max TOW pkg too)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The word is the biggest difference is upped DEF usuage to lower NOX

WRCLVR

Reaction score
well that woud be just fine by me...it doesnt use much DEF.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Thanks !
i just found and read this..BUT what is changed on the flash? Does it also reprogram the AISIN transmission?

The AISIN TCM is separate from the Cummins PCM, they're not combined like the Hemi trucks.

There have been shift schedule updates for the AISIN throughout the years, may be worth asking the dealer (perhaps find a better dealer?) about it when you get the 67A recall flash - assuming you're going to do that.

WRCLVR

Reaction score
Last update notice I got was for the Aisin TCM TSB 21-017-19 Rev A which I thought had already been done acc to my records but Ed Voyles said no it still needed to be done at a $250 cost since it was past the 5 year warranty ( bought new in May 2017 )

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Last update notice I got was for the Aisin TCM TSB 21-017-19 Rev A which I thought had already been done acc to my records but Ed Voyles said no it still needed to be done at a $250 cost since it was past the 5 year warranty ( bought new in May 2017 )

Assuming you're going to let the dealer do the emission recall flash, I would attempt to get them to commit to also doing the AISIN TSB flash at no charge stating you're concerned about interop/issues with the PCM flash having adverse affects on the TCM.

I believe 21-017-19 Rev A was the last one I had done on my 2020 and it did improve shifting. As it also forces a relearn, it was a bit harsh/aggressive on the 1-2 shifts at first but seems great now.

WRCLVR

Reaction score
@Brutal HO thanks for the info. I guess i'll try convincing them. I may just do the 67A then do the 21-017-19 Rev A after. Still deciding

OT Is there a way to perform a forced relearn for the Aisin that we can perform ie disconnect both batteries and do a discharge by connecting just the terminals together ? Or will a good scanner and tcm reset do the trick? I know when i connect my genuine OBDLink it asks if i want to scan the ECM or TCM.....Appreciate your insight and advice in advance :):)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@Brutal HO thanks for the info. I guess i'll try convincing them. I may just do the 67A then do the 21-017-19 Rev A after. Still deciding

OT Is there a way to perform a forced relearn for the Aisin that we can perform ie disconnect both batteries and do a discharge by connecting just the terminals together ? Or will a good scanner and tcm reset do the trick? I know when i connect my genuine OBDLink it asks if i want to scan the ECM or TCM.....Appreciate your insight and advice in advance :):)

There's a force quicklearn using AlfaOBD but the last person that tried with an AISIN I believe had issues and had to flatbed the truck to the dealer.

Cummins14

Reaction score
The word is the biggest difference is upped DEF usuage to lower NOX
I got the same recall notice recently. I'm wondering if this recall would help clear my NOx/SCR Aftertreatment monitor?

I was told by the dealer and mechanic to just drive until it clears. So far, I've put over 1800 miles on expired tags. This on a vehicle that I normally put 2K on annually. My dealer says NOT to update as it would reset my counter. Any help would be much appreciated.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I got the same recall notice recently. I'm wondering if this recall would help clear my NOx/SCR Aftertreatment monitor?

I was told by the dealer and mechanic to just drive until it clears. So far, I've put over 1800 miles on expired tags. This on a vehicle that I normally put 2K on annually. My dealer says NOT to update as it would reset my counter. Any help would be much appreciated.
No idea if it would help clear your monitor but using a truck so little is not healthy for the emissions systems for sure

marine6805

Reaction score
I had an appointment for the re-programming to comply with 67A this morning (Jan-5-2024 @ 7:45 A.M.), but was greeted by several Service Advisors that they had just received a message from a Regional Service Advisor that the current software was prone to "brick" systems randomly, and that RAM Dealer says they will wait for programming updates, with the caveat promise that I can have it accomplished when I come in for my next oil change. (I always use the express lane)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I had an appointment for the re-programming to comply with 67A this morning (Jan-5-2024 @ 7:45 A.M.), but was greeted by several Service Advisors that they had just received a message from a Regional Service Advisor that the current software was prone to "brick" systems randomly, and that RAM Dealer says they will wait for programming updates, with the caveat promise that I can have it accomplished when I come in for my next oil change. (I always use the express lane)
This is the first i have heard of that, interesting that they are saying its prone to brick when it has not been out for long. Im curious if anyone else has heard the same

marine6805

Reaction score
This is the first i have heard of that, interesting that they are saying its prone to brick when it has not been out for long. Im curious if anyone else has heard the same
I have read many different blogs (at least 3 RAM related. and 1 RV related) that intimates as far back as Dec-01-2023), nut we both know many exaggerated egos prowl these blogs.
I am only repeating what I presumably know. I just count it as fortunate that my dealer chooses to err on the side of caution.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

The first round of 2019 PCM flashes for the CP3 Y78 recall were bricking PCM's but it was 100% dependent on the prior 1- version installed in the PCM (older 2- versions were not affected) so they got put on the back burner for a while while FCA figured out their problems.

Haven't heard of any others this has happened to.

Chatter on the intarwebs tends to be less fact based and more urban legend that persists based on events like those described above.

We saw the same thing when "experts" claimed PCM's were getting locked by updates (the 22+ do have locked bootloaders) when it was 100% not true on all prior years.

Users who are viewing this thread