Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FA-4, yay or nay?

Bigwalnuthoney

Reaction score
Thanks, this is my thinking.. why even tell people to run 10w30 then if the 5w40 covers both temperature bases even further & (possibly) better? Fuel economy? I really have never understood this when it comes to an either or scenario.
I'd like to know that answer too. There has to be some reason they say 10w30, otherwise they would just say 5w40 across the board.

Southernspeed

Reaction score
I'd like to know that answer too. There has to be some reason they say 10w30, otherwise they would just say 5w40 across the board.
Puzzling eh? Why don't we all use Mobil 1 0w50 and be done with it! I like the idea of 10 weight base but I also like the idea of a 40 upper viscosity. Yet they state that post 2019 mustn't use 15w40 as it can gum up and leave heavy deposits causing lifter failure.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Puzzling eh? Why don't we all use Mobil 1 0w50 and be done with it! I like the idea of 10 weight base but I also like the idea of a 40 upper viscosity. Yet they state that post 2019 mustn't use 15w40 as it can gum up and leave heavy deposits causing lifter failure.
Post 19? How is 20-22 different from 19? Same engine AFAIK. Pre 19 are different

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks, this is my thinking.. why even tell people to run 10w30 then if the 5w40 covers both temperature bases even further & (possibly) better? Fuel economy? I really have never understood this when it comes to an either or scenario.
Higher temp areas the 10w30 would be the better choice only because of the hydraulic lifters these engines now run

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Higher temp areas the 10w30 would be the better choice only because of the hydraulic lifters these engines now run
Understood but in what area do they help the lifter when the 5w40 would be thinner and easier moving around the lifters when mild or cold and thicker when hot? I am honestly curious how it would be better in any scenario?

Dave88LX

Reaction score
All this oil stuff is confusing.
I live in PA, where it's normally above 0° F even in the winter, but there is the occasional night where it might dip below, or a trip to New England where it could get a little colder.
Seems like 10W30 would apply for 97% of the time but 5W40 for the other 3%.
What are people in these climates doing?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
All this oil stuff is confusing.
I live in PA, where it's normally above 0° F even in the winter, but there is the occasional night where it might dip below, or a trip to New England where it could get a little colder.
Seems like 10W30 would apply for 97% of the time but 5W40 for the other 3%.
What are people in these climates doing?
That 3% wont matter

JW99

Reaction score
So on my 22 the oil information says this. Doesn't say anything about using the 5 all time. Most likely 10. I live in the desert. 110 summer and winter in the teens, usually 20s-30s.

In ambient temperatures above 0°F (-18°C), we recommend using 10W-30 engine oil such as Mopar®, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets the manufacturer Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CK-4 engine oil category is required. Products meeting Cummins® CES 20081 may also be used. The identification of these engine oils is typically located on the back of the oil container.
In ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C), we recommend using 5W-40
synthetic engine oil such as Mopar®, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets the manufacturer Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CK-4 engine oil category is required.

With this information, what is everyone really using?
JW

21Tradesman3500

Reaction score
I'm using Rotella T4 10W-30 (non-synthetic) at the moment, mainly because I couldn't find any T6 5W-40 or even T5 10W-30 at the time of the last oil change. I will likely go back to either T6 5w-40 (full synthetic) or T5 10W-30 (synthetic blend) at the next oil change.

steve49

Reaction score
I live in northeastern AZ where the winter temps get down to freezing, and since T6 5W-40 can also be used in the warmer weather as well, that's what I use! It's a good full synthetic oil and very popular heavy duty diesel oil, and good coverage when you happen to travel to a colder area from where you live.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So on my 22 the oil information says this. Doesn't say anything about using the 5 all time. Most likely 10. I live in the desert. 110 summer and winter in the teens, usually 20s-30s.

In ambient temperatures above 0°F (-18°C), we recommend using 10W-30 engine oil such as Mopar®, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets the manufacturer Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CK-4 engine oil category is required. Products meeting Cummins® CES 20081 may also be used. The identification of these engine oils is typically located on the back of the oil container.
In ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C), we recommend using 5W-40
synthetic engine oil such as Mopar®, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets the manufacturer Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CK-4 engine oil category is required.

With this information, what is everyone really using?
JW
I run 5w40 year round, for you if you are not hauling heavy constantly id say 10w30 is good

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
If you think about which will handle better when at operating temp in your warm climate, the 30 number or 40 number.. I would always say 40. I know that when I am driving hard that 5w40 has coverage on both ends of the spectrum. For the folks that say because of all the viscosity modifiers used to make a 5w40, it is not as good since it will break down faster yada yada yada, I change the oil far sooner than the max or even recommended interval and do UOA which always reminds me why I do not mind a wide spread like the 5w40 is. My Nissan GTR runs 0w40 and I can say whether it was on a track day, or going out to do some winter sliding.. the engine felt smooth as butter from warm up to shut down. Same thing with this big Cummins girl. Other than the fuel economy gain maybe, I do not see a point to using 10w30 over 5w40.. especially considering 5w40 is almost exclusively high quality synthetics.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
I just follow the recommendations in the owners manual for the climate in the area of operation. My Cummins seems happy with CK-4 10-30. It doesn’t say anything about towing heavy needing 5-40 but whatever let’s you sleep at night is what you should use

Users who are viewing this thread