Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EZ-Pass

Frank

Reaction score
I'm back! And paying too many damn tolls here in Chicagoland.

Does anyone have the safety package with limited center windshield real estate have an EZ-Pass installed? Where did you put it and are there any interference concerns?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
You can stick it anywhere, as all the sensors have their own little “windows” that they look through. I have I-Pass, and I just keep it in a cup holder. It gets picked up fine from there.

jkbrereton

Reaction score
I actually have mine sitting in the overhead console where sunglasses are supposed to go

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
Mine is sitting in the little cubby on top of the dash above the radio. I have always put them out of my line of site on the right side of the rear view mirror. Never had an issue.

Frank

Reaction score
You can stick it anywhere, as all the sensors have their own little “windows” that they look through. I have I-Pass, and I just keep it in a cup holder. It gets picked up fine from there.

Is there a way to know it was successful? My experience so far is at least a dozen trips through the pay by plate with zero recognitions, and card swipers that work 10% of the time. Kind of worried about getting nailed for skipping tolls.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Is there a way to know it was successful? My experience so far is at least a dozen trips through the pay by plate with zero recognitions, and card swipers that work 10% of the time. Kind of worried about getting nailed for skipping tolls.
I can only tell by looking at my account after going through them.

Sponge60

Reaction score
I have always put mine on the dash when going through tolls. Did that with several different vehicles. On the first trip with the Ram, I received a "toll not paid" light two different times. Not sure what caused that. No clue why it didn't work. The balance in the account was fine.

garyh

Reaction score
I'm back! And paying too many damn tolls here in Chicagoland.

Does anyone have the safety package with limited center windshield real estate have an EZ-Pass installed? Where did you put it and are there any interference concerns?
I keep my Ipass in the center dash cubbie. Always get a blue light (read) going through the access booths so I assume no issue with the open tolling booths either.

relbus

Reaction score
My iPass is also in the cubby above the Uconnect display. No problems at all, except when the iPass batteries were failing a few months back. Be careful the state has become A holes and even if you have the plate registered to the account they will fine you.

I used to just register the plates and not move the iPass around on infrequently driven vehicles or my bikes. Not anymore, I’ve gotten too many fines this year

Sponge60

Reaction score
I have always put mine on the dash when going through tolls. Did that with several different vehicles. On the first trip with the Ram, I received a "toll not paid" light two different times. Not sure what caused that. No clue why it didn't work. The balance in the account was fine.

So to update on this, the EZ Pass folks decided to replace my EZ Pass. They said it was older and may be "dying". Hopefully that was the issue. Didn't make sense that it worked in three different trucks, a Jeep and a Mustang previously.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I have an iPass and have it on the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror. However it recently came off so I had it on the dash. Went over the skyway (worked fine) into Indiana and all of a sudden it would not work. I had to press the help button and read the code to them. Then they charged me an extra $4 for improper placement of a toll device!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what that pass tech is or what it looks like, but here in CO, we now get a small 1"x3" "sticker" with (I believe) an RFID tag in it. Mine is scotch taped to the lower left windshield.

I think they are/were also doing stick on plate toll tags for a while.

jeffn

Reaction score
I worry more about the license plate scanner accuracy. I have had 3 instances of getting letters in the mail with a fine for not paying a toll in Orange County, south of LA, while I live in Northern California. In each instance I pulled the trip tracking info from my insurance app which proved I was 400 miles away from the tool booth in question at the day/time of the violation. All 3 fines were rescinded using the mail in dispute form, which makes me think it happens a lot. If my credit card was hooked up to the toll system and they were charging based just on the license plate scanner, I would only know this if I were paying close attention to every charge and even then I think it would be a nightmare to claw back my money once they had it.

craiggemt

Reaction score
I have my I-pass at the top of the windshield right of the RV mirror.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I worry more about the license plate scanner accuracy. I have had 3 instances of getting letters in the mail with a fine for not paying a toll in Orange County, south of LA, while I live in Northern California. In each instance I pulled the trip tracking info from my insurance app which proved I was 400 miles away from the tool booth in question at the day/time of the violation. All 3 fines were rescinded using the mail in dispute form, which makes me think it happens a lot. If my credit card was hooked up to the toll system and they were charging based just on the license plate scanner, I would only know this if I were paying close attention to every charge and even then I think it would be a nightmare to claw back my money once they had it.

I had this happen a few times with a trailer of mine on highways it's never been on here in Colorado. Trailers don't get toll tags, just have to add them to your account.

Another plate that's similar was getting misread by their software.

After the last time, they flagged the plate as requiring a human to review before assessing a v-toll. Problem has stopped.

craiggemt

Reaction score
I had this happen a few times with a trailer of mine on highways it's never been on here in Colorado. Trailers don't get toll tags, just have to add them to your account.

Another plate that's similar was getting misread by their software.

After the last time, they flagged the plate as requiring a human to review before assessing a v-toll. Problem has stopped.
I-pass just goes by number of axles.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I-pass just goes by number of axles.

As does e-toll here. The issue is that the trailer is on my account so it was getting v-toll "read" (visual plate read) and I was getting charged for 6 axles when it wasn't my trailer to begin with. It was something like a Nissan Altima car with a similar plate. You would think the software was smart enough to know that if it read the trailer plate, there needed to be more than 2 axles for it to be legit. However, since I know the CTO for e-470 from another IT client account, I'm not surprised there's a gap.

Users who are viewing this thread