Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected MPG: 6.4/3.73

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
TLDR: there are pros and cons to tricks that improve mileage 37%.

I learned something this week. My prior truck was a Duramax 2500 which averaged 13.5 towing my max 7600 27’ airstream. It also rarely went above 1500 rpm even on eastern hills. With about 22K miles on my 2022 RAM 2500 Hemi, I’ve averaged about 9.3 (hand calcs - lieometer is about 9.7) while towing the same trailer - and about 50% of my miles are towing so far. I also always engage tow haul mode when towing. I experimented without it but it feels like it likes TH on for towing…

Over 1600 miles the past week, I hand measured a 37% improvement in mileage efficiency by doing the following:

1) I didn’t use cruise control - it just doesn’t anticipate or react to changes as well as I can (sorry to any RAM engineers)

2) when going up a decent hill, I got in the “truck” lane, kept it at 55ish, and put my flashers on

3) even when the speed limit is 70+, I kept it around 65-70 depending on grade and rpm

I found that if I keep the RPM under 2000 as much as possible, I averaged 12.7-13 mpg while towing compared to 9.3 mpg I’ve gotten historically with this truck.

CONS:

- it takes longer (if averaging 55 mph, a 400 mile trip is 7.25 hours, if averaging 50 mph, it’s 8 hours - that 45 extra minutes is about 10% longer travel time for that example).

- It can piss off people behind you who want to go faster but they can always pass in lanes on the left.

- You’re closer to highway entrants who sometimes fail to understand how to merge on to the highway and can really screw you up.

PROS:

- that 37% improvement in economy in effect turns a $3.50 gallon of gas into a $2.35 gallon of gas.

- With my tiny tank of 31 gallons, I was giving myself (at 9.3 mpg) a safe 250 miles of towing range before needing to fill - I can now comfortably give myself 325-340 miles of range per tank. I was also seeking some auxiliary tank solutions nearing $2K - so some additional savings there.

- It seems much nicer to the engine - while an engineer friend of mine says it’s designed to handle those 5000+ rpm on grades, keeping it below 2000 sounds better on the ear and lowers the concern of whether rods are going to start exiting the engine bay.

- There are frequently real trucks doing exactly this so it’s not like I’m the cause of anyone’s delay.

- It gives MUCH more reaction time for those drivers who either need lessons or need to put down their ^{##]]* phones.

Last - it’s a much calmer trip overall.

Gassers vs Diesels is like comparing apples to ribeye steaks. I love and hate them both for different reasons. The Duramax didn’t breathe hard going up and down 80 through PA at all - the HEMI felt and sounded like I was beating the tar out of it and it wasn’t happy. These changes in driving approach are getting me near the mileage I got with the Duramax and increasing my range (which is a huge concern) to the extent I’m liking my gasser even more.

Now about that damned Uconnect!

RAM Stag

Reaction score
Just came

I learned something this week. My prior truck was a Duramax 2500 which averaged 13.5 towing my max 7600 27’ airstream. It also rarely went above 1500 rpm even on eastern hills. With about 22K miles on my 2022 RAM 2500 Hemi, I’ve averaged about 9.3 (hand calcs - lieometer is about 9.7) while towing the same trailer - and about 50% of my miles are towing so far. I also always engage tow haul mode when towing. I experimented without it but it feels like it likes TH on for towing…

Over 1600 miles the past week, I hand measured a 37% improvement in mileage efficiency by doing the following:

1) I didn’t use cruise control - it just doesn’t anticipate or react to changes as well as I can (sorry to any RAM engineers)

2) when going up a decent hill, I got in the “truck” lane, kept it at 55ish, and put my flashers on

3) even when the speed limit is 70+, I kept it around 65-70 depending on grade and rpm

I found that if I keep the RPM under 2000 as much as possible, I averaged 12.7-13 mpg while towing compared to 9.3 mpg I’ve gotten historically with this truck.

CONS:

- it takes longer (if averaging 55 mph, a 400 mile trip is 7.25 hours, if averaging 50 mph, it’s 8 hours - that 45 extra minutes is about 10% longer travel time for that example).

- It can piss off people behind you who want to go faster but they can always pass in lanes on the left.

- You’re closer to highway entrants who sometimes fail to understand how to merge on to the highway and can really screw you up.

PROS:

- that 37% improvement in economy in effect turns a $3.50 gallon of gas into a $2.35 gallon of gas.

- With my tiny tank of 31 gallons, I was giving myself (at 9.3 mpg) a safe 250 miles of towing range before needing to fill - I can now comfortably give myself 325-340 miles of range per tank. I was also seeking some auxiliary tank solutions nearing $2K - so some additional savings there.

- It seems much nicer to the engine - while an engineer friend of mine says it’s designed to handle those 5000+ rpm on grades, keeping it below 2000 sounds better on the ear and lowers the concern of whether rods are going to start exiting the engine bay.

- There are frequently real trucks doing exactly this so it’s not like I’m the cause of anyone’s delay.

- It gives MUCH more reaction time for those drivers who either need lessons or need to put down their ^{##]]* phones.

Gassers vs Diesels is like comparing apples to ribeye steaks. I love and hate them both for different reasons. The Duramax didn’t breathe hard going up and down 80 through PA at all - the HEMI felt and sounded like I was beating the tar out of it and it wasn’t happy. These changes in driving approach are getting me near the mileage I got with the Duramax and increasing my range (which is a huge concern) to the extent I’m liking my gasser even more.

Just got back Sunday from a trip, Richmond, VA to Gettysburg, PA. 2016 RAM 2500, 6.4L with 3.73 gears. I got about 8mpg on the way to Gettysburg using cruise control and no tow/haul, running 60mph - 65mph, got about 9.2 mpg on the way back same speed, no tow/haul and no cruise control. Towing a 30' travel trailer, about 6,500 lbs.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

CONS:

PROS:

Why put your flashers on? Am i missing something? The minimum speed on the highway is posted 45, correct?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Are you really dumb enough not to understand that putting your flashers on when traveling well below the speed of traffic is a good idea for safety and courtesy or are you just trolling?
Aw were you triggered? You must use your flashers in the rain “for safety”

55mph is not “well below the speed of traffic” and it is above the posted minimum speed of 45mph on every highway I’ve ever seen.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Why put your flashers on? Am i missing something? The minimum speed on the highway is posted 45, correct?
Not correct on the section of 80 in PA I was on. The signs “required” flashers if 50 or less, there was nothing about using them above 50.

Personally, I wanted to use them so anyone coming up behind me would have some indication I wasn’t near the speed limit and they’d have more time and distance for the option to pass me. It seemed safer and more courteous from my perspective.

I also flash my headlights when a truck wants to re-enter my lane after passing me. Less than half indicate a “thanks” with a flash of their lights in return, but again, I think it’s just courteous.

One guy’s thoughts. Any thoughts on your end about the 37% improvement in mileage? I’m pretty happy with it!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Not correct on the section of 80 in PA I was on. The signs “required” flashers if 50 or less, there was nothing about using them above 50.

Personally, I wanted to use them so anyone coming up behind me would have some indication I wasn’t near the speed limit and they’d have more time and distance for the option to pass me. It seemed safer and more courteous from my perspective.

I also flash my headlights when a truck wants to re-enter my lane after passing me. Less than half indicate a “thanks” with a flash of their lights in return, but again, I think it’s just courteous.

One guy’s thoughts. Any thoughts on your end about the 37% improvement in mileage? I’m pretty happy with it!
Thanks for adding context. That’s why I asked if I was missing something.

The mileage is something to be happy about, for sure.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Not using cruise is the biggest thing I've found to help. Mostly flat land around here and I run interstate mostly. I just keep my foot in the same spot and can usually run 65-72 mph with ease. If there is no significant wind, my truck will hold 7th gear at 23-2400 rpm. If there is a head wind, it will stay in 6th 29-3000 rpm. Truck seems happy at these rpms. I've gotten it to hold 8th before while running 65. Rpms drop down to around 2k but EVIC still shows 8 mpg. There is no doubt that slowing down will yield better mileage, I just can't stand to run that slow so I'll take the hot on mileage.

BadKarma

Reaction score
22k miles in and averaging 10.8. Highest I’ve seen was traveling to flagstaff and that was about 15mpg. Just my wife and me. Not lifted, and stock 20’s with the firestones.

RAM Stag

Reaction score
22k miles in and averaging 10.8. Highest I’ve seen was traveling to flagstaff and that was about 15mpg. Just my wife and me. Not lifted, and stock 20’s with the firestones.
My best has been 18MPG average from Richmond. VA to Orlando, FLA - running 70 with cruise on, not towing, but lightly loaded inside with luggage, etc. for my wife and I for 1 week.

chas0218

Reaction score
We made a trip from NY to FL and back driving at 80mph we got 12.5 mpg going down and 14 mpg on 20s with 33x12.5r20 Toyo Open country R/T. I drive the highways here in NY and average 15 mpg. Best I saw on the stock transforce and 18s was 18 mgp on the highways.

Pulling my landscape/car hauler I get 12.5 mpg on the highway whether it has 1k lbs or 7k lbs.

chas0218

Reaction score
I have about 7700 miles on the truck now. Wife, 2 kids and I did 2200 mile round trip to florida and back and with the wheels and tires (33x12.5r20) pictured in my profile and averaged 15.5 on the evic. We were cruising at 80-85mph most the way with the bed loaded with all our gear. I did see 16 mpg on a 5hr. trip cruising around 70mph.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I have about 7700 miles on the truck now. Wife, 2 kids and I did 2200 mile round trip to florida and back and with the wheels and tires (33x12.5r20) pictured in my profile and averaged 15.5 on the evic. We were cruising at 80-85mph most the way with the bed loaded with all our gear. I did see 16 mpg on a 5hr. trip cruising around 70mph.

Your sig says you have the 6.7... this thread is about the 6.4.
Unless your sig is old...

Users who are viewing this thread