Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected MPG: 6.4/3.73

TexMarQue

Reaction score
I remember the original story referenced in this video, and found this interesting. It's about the F150, but I don't see how it won't be similar to what we are getting as Ram starts going this way.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
We just bought a 2019 2500 Laramie with the 6.4 and 3:73 rear end to replace a 2017 Limited 2500 with the Cummins. That engine had lots of issues so I went with the gas engine this time.

We recently traded in our travel trailer so I had a chance to see how the new gas truck performed towing 2 different trailers.
I towed the old 6500 lb trailer about 150 miles to trade. Most of the trip was on I-95 at whatever the posted speed limit was. I got a little over 9 mpg going down.

The new trailer is 9100 lbs dry and we repeated the exact same route on the journey home. A lot of the time the truck operated at higher RPMs than I felt comfortable with but the systems were within temperature and pressure ranges. I had to remind myself I was towing nearly 3 tons so it makes sense it would rev a little higher, even on flat level ground. I got a solid 8.8 mpg going home. The figures were from the truck’s EVIC system.

By contrast the Cummins diesel only got in the 9 mpg range while towing the old 6500 lb trailer. It would also burn a lot of DEF fluid dependent on engine load.

The new truck did great handling both trailers and was very stable with the new one which has 1130 lb tongue weight on the bumper. The 6.4 Hemi definitely has the power to move the new trailer and is super responsive. Put the hammer down and it moves.

As a daily driver and I’m getting around 11-12 mpg in the stop and go driving traffic of Northern VA. The 6.4 is quick and powerful, I’m very happy with it so far. I’m hopeful it hits the sweet spot balance of reliable daily driver that is HD capable. I very much prefer this truck over the diesel because of the Hemi. It’s a trade off, a heavy chassis 3/4 ton truck with big block, high horsepower, torquey Hemi it stands to reason you’re going to sacrifice some mpg.

MartyZ

Reaction score
2020 6.4l 8spd Tradesman. I get between 12 and 12.5 daily, if im behaving i get 15-15.7 with cruise control and no load. These trucks get up and go though and my lead foot loves it, my wallet not so much, haha. Raced a buddy from work yesterday, he has a 2020 Challenger 392 Shaker. Pulled on him off the light about half the truck length up to about 60 MPH. Then he hit 3rd gear and pulled back up to slowly pass me. These trucks are very under-rated for their power to weight ratio. He thought for sure he would have me off the bat. The look on his face when i pulled on him and held it was priceless. I was in 2wd with traction control on. nothing special, just dumped it and launched. Im sure that definitely dropped my average MPG a bit.

MartyZ

Reaction score
I also run 87 Octane which ive heard is not the best if your pushing the motor at high RPM as it doesnt burn as easily. Probably could have done better with some 91.

Lary0071

Reaction score
I also run 87 Octane which ive heard is not the best if your pushing the motor at high RPM as it doesnt burn as easily. Probably could have done better with some 91.
Incorrect, 87 octane burns easier. Octane increase is actually done to lower volatility, aka pre-ignition it engine ping. Lower octane fuel lights off easier, this is why on higher compression you need more octane so that low octane fuel doesn't pre-ignite before the correct conditions are met.

Regular gas is rated at 87 octane in most states, while premium gas is often rated higher at 91 or 93. Fuel with a higher octane rating can stand up to higher compression before it detonates. Essentially, the higher the octane rating, the lower the likelihood that detonation happens at the wrong time.

An octane rating, according to Exxon Mobile, measures the fuel’s ability to resist engine knocking, or pinging. The higher the octane, the greater resistance the fuel has to pinging during combustion.

Higher-compression engines need the higher octane so that the fuel doesn’t pre-ignite in the combustion process and damage the motor. Octane slows and controls the detonation of the fuel during the compression and detonation of the fuel.”

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Drove up from central Florida to South Carolina...me and a bunch of crap to tide me over for three weeks so at least another 300# of gear.
Did 70mph with a 70 mile ride at 65 down some backroad, tried to use cruise control/ACC but it doesn't hold a steady speed and surges.
EVIC claimed 17.1... hand calculated was 16.1.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
So my daily driving to and from work is still in the 11s, EVIC is about 0.5 optimistic. Did a long highway drive at the speed limit and the EVIC was reading 18, so likely 17ish.

I wish I had topped off after my drive down for calculating but didn't. ended up taking a different route back to avoid a toll and it was hilly, so my average dropped to 14ish

slimchance

Reaction score
my EVIC is all over the place, sometimes even right on (rare) .. with almost 11, 000 miles the overall "local" driving is 14.5 mpg and towing a 10,500 # 5er in Pa is 11.0 .... plenty of power .... carrying about 500# extra all the time ... and nobody has ever accused me of driving like the 70 yr old i am

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Update on my MPG performance - I’m envious of everyone who’s getting in the teens, at only 1200 miles I’m stuck at 12.something. Mine is a daily driver with lots of stop and go driving and varying speeds. I towed almost 300 miles with it as soon as I bought it so I may have broken it in to drink gas. I had the oil changed this morning at 1200 miles since I did tow with it so soon. I went with factory recommended Pennzoil Ultra synthetic and Mopar filter. It’s amazing how small the filter is for such a big engine. I still feel good about the decision to go with the gas engine. It will get up and go instantaneously when I push the skinny pedal...of course that comes at a price !! I hope over time the MPG will increase a little if I can moderate my behavior.

5088B2E9-7E87-4DAD-9677-671D420B0A49.jpeg7131206F-81D1-40BA-AB66-2E83FFAAD076.jpeg

jsalbre

Reaction score
I'me seeing about the same thing, though I have 4.10s. If I drive a lot of non-interstate highways I can get it up to around 15-16, but most of the time I'm in the 12s. It keeps trying to break 13, but I like to hear that Hemi rumble sometimes, and that pushes it back down fast.

D

Deleted member 80

Update on my MPG performance - I’m envious of everyone who’s getting in the teens, at only 1200 miles I’m stuck at 12.something. Mine is a daily driver with lots of stop and go driving and varying speeds. I towed almost 300 miles with it as soon as I bought it so I may have broken it in to drink gas. I had the oil changed this morning at 1200 miles since I did tow with it so soon. I went with factory recommended Pennzoil Ultra synthetic and Mopar filter. It’s amazing how small the filter is for such a big engine. I still feel good about the decision to go with the gas engine. It will get up and go instantaneously when I push the skinny pedal...of course that comes at a price !! I hope over time the MPG will increase a little if I can moderate my behavior.

View attachment 3314View attachment 3315
Short trips are a killer with the 6.4. You can run the larger oil filter, such as the Mopar SRT filter, which is what I ran on mine, or the Royal Purple 20-820. RP oil is not so hot, but the filters are top shelf.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Thanks jsalbre for the feedback, it’s good to know I’m not the only one !! I have the 3.73 which seems to do well. My 1500 Longhorn has 3.92 rear end and only gets around 15.5 when we use it as a Commuter car driving sustained speeds for extended distance. The commonality in those motors is the same as your problem ... I love to hear the Hemi sound and feel the acceleration and torque!! I like your style :)

Last edited:

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Short trips are a killer with the 6.4. You can run the larger oil filter, such as the Mopar SRT filter, which is what I ran on mine, or the Royal Purple 20-820. RP oil is not so hot, but the filters are top shelf.
Thanks for the feedback. I‘ll look into the larger filter for the next change

Ruffone

Reaction score
Mine was getting right at about 13-14 mpg but for the last month it is struggling to get 11-11.5 mpg. My driving style has not changed at all. The only difference is that I broke 10k on the odometer. Now I’m stumped...

jsalbre

Reaction score
Drove 400+ interstate miles, staying between 70 and 80, averaged just over 15. i was pushing over 16 when I kept it to 65, but I was tired of being the slowest thing on the road.

Squatch

Reaction score
19 Tradesman CCLB 3.73, about 12 MPG with mixed city and highway driving. Seems to hover around 15/16 on the highway at 70. These are unloaded numbers.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
Mine was getting right at about 13-14 mpg but for the last month it is struggling to get 11-11.5 mpg. My driving style has not changed at all. The only difference is that I broke 10k on the odometer. Now I’m stumped...
Summer gas changeover?

Users who are viewing this thread