Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Drone Fix - threads merged

Mnjblymire

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2021 Powerwagon. I had a Magnaflow muffler installed in place of the factory and a performance resonator in place of the factory. I get a loud drone between 1600 and 1900 rpms. Has anyone else experienced this and suggest a fix?

Mnjblymire

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2021 Powerwagon. I had a Magnaflow muffler installed in place of the factory and a performance resonator in place of the factory. I get a loud drone between 1600 and 1900 rpms. Has anyone else experienced this and suggest a fix?

Muffler shop suggesting going back to either factory resonator with magnaflow muffler, factory muffler with performance resonator or trying to weld in a j pipe to reduce the drone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mnjblymire

Reaction score
Hi,

Muffler shop suggesting going back to either factory resonator with magnaflow muffler, factory muffler with performance resonator or trying to weld in a j pipe to reduce the drone.

Reaction score
Hi,

Didn't you modify the exhaust so it would make noise? Now it's making noise.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Get that with a lot of after market exhaust. Does it exit in the rear like factory?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Go back and tell them to install a Hienz-Holt filter pipe tuned to the exhsust.
Some call it a J pipe. Its basically a frequency filter that cancels out the drone.
They use them in factory air intakes as well.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
J pipe. Magna flows seem to drone at that RPM. Had the same issue on a V6 car. Magna flow used my car to prototype a exhaust for it. When I told them about the drone, they just shrugged it off. I had them ship my stock exhaust to me. I reinstalled it and sold the prototype.

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
I went back to factory muffler and deleted the resonator. Not nearly as aggressive, but no drone.
The drone with Magnaflow was bad in the above mentioned RPM range. Most of my cruising is in that range.

Mnjblymire

Reaction score
Go back and tell them to install a Hienz-Holt filter pipe tuned to the exhsust.
Some call it a J pipe. Its basically a frequency filter that cancels out the drone.
They use them in factory air intakes as well.
They mentioned this is an option. What length would it need to be?

Mnjblymire

Reaction score
I went back to factory muffler and deleted the resonator. Not nearly as aggressive, but no drone.
The drone with Magnaflow was bad in the above mentioned RPM range. Most of my cruising is in that range.
Do you have any sound clips with factory muffler but no resonator?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I am not an exhaust engineer so I cannot give you the correct answer.
Nor did I sleep in a holiday inn Express.
I've just read a few articles about them and some basic research. I also understand some of the science behind it as I work with similar stuff at work.

Users who are viewing this thread