Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Etoimos' 2022 Power Wagon Build

jadmt

Reaction score
See this is what I had heard before but they said they’ll do it so we will see. If I need to get a pro cal snap i will. I do have a bypass harness and alpha obd too but I just dont want to screw with it. Also why don’t we need a pin with these new gens?
good luck finding an AEV snap. They still show backordered. I hope your dealer does it but I would not hold my breath.

thkbaron

Reaction score
If not I’ll try alpha obd. Just wanted to drive it off the lot and not do anything besides suspension and exhaust.

Etoimos

Reaction score
Last month I placed the order for the RSI SmartCap with dual half bins. The cap is a couple of months out, but the half bins they had here in the US, so I had them ship those to me now so I could start working on laying out my setup in them. This past weekend I got the ARB twin compressor mounted in the passenger side bin.

RSIcap-092249.jpg

I'm not sure why RSI made the MOLLE panels in the bins so small, but there is a good 4" of dead space all around it :( They also only attach the panel to the bin in five spots, the four corners and one in the middle. I reinforced it with four additional mounting points.

A center punch made sure the drill bit did not walk on me.
RSIcap-074107.jpg

Some Mistic Metal Mover helped the bit cut the metal without too much heat build up.

RSIcap-074535.jpg

RSIcap-074953.jpg

Once all of the hole were drilled on the panel, I then mounted the panel back into the bin with the hardware put in backwards. This allowed me to line up the holes in the bin perfectly with the ones I had drilled into the panel.

RSIcap-080104.jpg

I still need to drill the hole in the top of the bin for the wiring to enter the bin and I need to mount the solenoid(s)/parts for my six tire inflation/deflation setup. Those will have to wait until I actually get the cap so I know exactly where to place everything. The driver's side bin will house the electrical system to include a 50Ah LiFePO4 battery, a solar charge controller and some other stuff. Hopefully that will happen next weekend depending on if things show up and what the weather is like.

I also got most of my communications setup in the cab of the truck.

Comms-0634.jpg

Up top I'm using a mix of some 67 Desgins parts I had on hand and the Bullet Point RubiGrid for the phone holders. BP's shortest arm worked well for the inReach mini. To power these I used a 12v to USB socket adaptor and bought some short charging cables to help keep things clean looking.

Comms-171351.jpg

The tablet is mounted using a universal mount from RAM Mounts that I swapped over from the Gladiator. I'm actually not crazy about this mount for my specific tablet as the X grip function depresses the tablet buttons and turns the screen on or off or changes the volume on it. I'm considering replacing it with the Bullet Point tablet holder since it grips in a different way. There is also too much vibration in the setup. It really needs to be tied in with a second connection point to the truck.

Comms-171847.jpg

The mic holder for my Midland MXT275 GMRS Radio is the Bullet Point CB Radio Holder with their Xtra Long 20cm arm. The mic holder part works really well and has a padded surface on the inside that helps keep it rattle free. The other end of the arm is connected to a 20mm ball I pulled off of one of their phone holders. I mounted that directly to the stock tray in front of the middle seat over the hump.

Comms-142613.jpg

I still have to mount the radio base unit and that will go in the cubby under the center radio stack. That will allow me to easily disconnect the hand unit/mic and store it away from prying eyes when not in use.

I also got the front windows tinted to match the rears. I'm still looking for a solution to hard mount a holster for my sidearm in the cab. This is proving to be a challenge since there is not full length console in my truck

These are all little things in the build, but they are things I can get done without the RSI Smartcap on hand.

Loosebolts

Reaction score
Last month I placed the order for the RSI SmartCap with dual half bins. The cap is a couple of months out, but the half bins they had here in the US, so I had them ship those to me now so I could start working on laying out my setup in them. This past weekend I got the ARB twin compressor mounted in the passenger side bin.

View attachment 33256

I'm not sure why RSI made the MOLLE panels in the bins so small, but there is a good 4" of dead space all around it :( They also only attach the panel to the bin in five spots, the four corners and one in the middle. I reinforced it with four additional mounting points.

A center punch made sure the drill bit did not walk on me.
View attachment 33257

Some Mistic Metal Mover helped the bit cut the metal without too much heat build up.

View attachment 33258

View attachment 33259

Once all of the hole were drilled on the panel, I then mounted the panel back into the bin with the hardware put in backwards. This allowed me to line up the holes in the bin perfectly with the ones I had drilled into the panel.

View attachment 33260

I still need to drill the hole in the top of the bin for the wiring to enter the bin and I need to mount the solenoid(s)/parts for my six tire inflation/deflation setup. Those will have to wait until I actually get the cap so I know exactly where to place everything. The driver's side bin will house the electrical system to include a 50Ah LiFePO4 battery, a solar charge controller and some other stuff. Hopefully that will happen next weekend depending on if things show up and what the weather is like.

I also got most of my communications setup in the cab of the truck.

View attachment 33265

Up top I'm using a mix of some 67 Desgins parts I had on hand and the Bullet Point RubiGrid for the phone holders. BP's shortest arm worked well for the inReach mini. To power these I used a 12v to USB socket adaptor and bought some short charging cables to help keep things clean looking.

View attachment 33281

The tablet is mounted using a universal mount from RAM Mounts that I swapped over from the Gladiator. I'm actually not crazy about this mount for my specific tablet as the X grip function depresses the tablet buttons and turns the screen on or off or changes the volume on it. I'm considering replacing it with the Bullet Point tablet holder since it grips in a different way. There is also too much vibration in the setup. It really needs to be tied in with a second connection point to the truck.

View attachment 33282

The mic holder for my Midland MXT275 GMRS Radio is the Bullet Point CB Radio Holder with their Xtra Long 20cm arm. The mic holder part works really well and has a padded surface on the inside that helps keep it rattle free. The other end of the arm is connected to a 20mm ball I pulled off of one of their phone holders. I mounted that directly to the stock tray in front of the middle seat over the hump.

View attachment 33283

I still have to mount the radio base unit and that will go in the cubby under the center radio stack. That will allow me to easily disconnect the hand unit/mic and store it away from prying eyes when not in use.

I also got the front windows tinted to match the rears. I'm still looking for a solution to hard mount a holster for my sidearm in the cab. This is proving to be a challenge since there is not full length console in my truck

These are all little things in the build, but they are things I can get done without the RSI Smartcap on hand.
This is a legit build, keep us updated!

WYnott

Reaction score
Wow.
Just
Wow

My wife put a Gator tonnue cover on for me last week, we should hang out and talk builds.. ... seriously that's very impressive, reminds me of everyone's rigs when we lived in Utah decades ago. Very cool.
Alien gear shape shift modular holsters are what my wife gave me for Christmas, there is a holster vehicle mount that works really well for her.

Etoimos

Reaction score
Wow.
Just
Wow

My wife put a Gator tonnue cover on for me last week, we should hang out and talk builds.. ... seriously that's very impressive, reminds me of everyone's rigs when we lived in Utah decades ago. Very cool.
Alien gear shape shift modular holsters are what my wife gave me for Christmas, there is a holster vehicle mount that works really well for her.
Thanks man. I have an Alien gear holster for my CC and like it quite a bit. My problem is finding a good place in the truck to mount one.

WYnott

Reaction score
Thanks man. I have an Alien gear holster for my CC and like it quite a bit. My problem is finding a good place in the truck to mount one.
She mounts most of hers right under the steering column sideways, with the shape shift its easy to rotate to any angle.

I leave my shotgun on the dashboard using two magnum magnet mounts from midwayusa.com..
rifle and revolvers are just stuck down between the middle seat and passenger seat for the rifle and driver's seat and middle for revolvers . Bigger pistols get jammed under the folded down middle seat.

Yes, I run a very high tech ship.

Etoimos

Reaction score
She mounts most of hers right under the steering column sideways, with the shape shift its easy to rotate to any angle.

I leave my shotgun on the dashboard using two magnum magnet mounts from midwayusa.com..
rifle and revolvers are just stuck down between the middle seat and passenger seat for the rifle and driver's seat and middle for revolvers . Bigger pistols get jammed under the folded down middle seat.

I thought about just mounting it to the dash area around the steering column, but my knees are only about 1.5 inches from touching and I can only imagine how many times I'd be knocking against it. I'm going to see if I can't fab up a bracket that will mount to the seat bolts and put it just to the right of my right leg down near the center hump.

WYnott

Reaction score
There must be something you have that can attach it to your tablet holder? Or to one of your brackets for phone or radio?

Personally I think you should mount it right on the steering wheel, use it like a suicide knob,,

I tried that with my rifle but kept breaking the windows. not really.

Will your tablet hold the weight of a loaded pistol?
Maybe something mounted along the back of the tablet, depending on size.
Any place I ever was that a side arm was going to very likely see use I would thread an uncle Mike's nylon holster on to my seat belt.

Attachments

• CrossbreedRAMmount.jpg
    CrossbreedRAMmount.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 18

mcarey

Reaction score

Zero judgement, but why would you need a shotgun mounted on your dashboard? I don't think I could even come close to getting any of my three off my dash and shouldered in my truck, though I don't own a shorty.

WYnott

Reaction score
No problem, It's just for ease of access.
every time we are in and out the shotgun goes with us, long guns always rode loose on the dash but enough banging around they go flying.

These magnets are great, pricey I think, but they work.

Hibiki54

Reaction score
Zero judgement, but why would you need a shotgun mounted on your dashboard? I don't think I could even come close to getting any of my three off my dash and shouldered in my truck, though I don't own a shorty.
For ease of access so you can visually tell people to go back the way they came.

Tefal301

Reaction score
See this is what I had heard before but they said they’ll do it so we will see. If I need to get a pro cal snap i will. I do have a bypass harness and alpha obd too but I just dont want to screw with it. Also why don’t we need a pin with these new gens?
Where did you find bypass cable for your 2022 ram? Did they work?

thkbaron

Reaction score
It was for my 18. I’ll have to find the thread but inguess I’ll have to modify it to work on the 22. Honestly I might just hold out for the pro cal snap. Sounds like less bs to deal with.

Etoimos

Reaction score
The weather was nice today so I hooked up my OGT Expedition 2.0 trailer to the PW for the first time. I had to reverse my 2" rise hitch from the Gladiator to a 2" drop for the PW. lol

PWBuildOGT-091229.jpg

There is a little extra tongue weight since the trailer does not have the 31 gallons of water in the back right now, but the trailer sits almost perfectly level right now.

PWBuildOGT-091510.jpg

The stock suspension sagged 1.5" with the trailer hooked up. Once the RSI SmartCap goes on, it might be sitting exactly level even with the water on board.

Hibiki54

Reaction score
Thats my future set-up right there. Gonna be a couple years down the line before I get one of those off-road campers.

Etoimos

Reaction score
Thats my future set-up right there. Gonna be a couple years down the line before I get one of those off-road campers.
They are very pricey, but worth every penny in my book. It does look a lot smaller behind the PW than it did behind the JT...

GrandmaGoesCamping-1.jpg

dothatagain

Reaction score
I lowered it with an AEV procal snap.
How long did it take you to get your AEV procal? They are out of stock due to chip shortage. I've got a 2020 PW that I need to program for my new 37s. The dealer tried, but failed to calibrate when I had them installed last Friday (and when I returned Monday).

Users who are viewing this thread