Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine won't start

Toprad

Reaction score
So this is kind of an ongoing saga. A couple weeks ago, my 2019 3500 Cummins out of the blue started going into battery saver mode when I would start it the first time each day for several days. This occurred with both remote start and normal start. Turning it off and back on got rid of it. Then, after about three or four days of this, the issue went away just as suddenly as it started.
Yesterday, I tried to start with the remote start, and it wouldn't start, with a message on the dash that said remote start was disabled, start engine to reset. I tried to start the engine normally, and when I pressed the button, it went into the normal pre-start process and coil warming and something in the engine clicked, but it wouldn't start. I tried it again a few more times, and it eventually started. This happened again intermittently again later in the day, but eventually did start, even with the remote. This afternoon, I went out to start the truck, and it won't start. At all. Press the brake, press the button, a loud click and nothing. Thought this might have something to do with the recent battery saver issue, battery says it's at 12.3 volts on the dash. Tried to jump start it, still won't start. I'm thinking battery or starter or both. The truck has 21000 miles on it and the batteries should still be good, but who knows. I'm going to get them load tested and go from there. It'll take weeks to get into my local dealership to get out looked at... Right now it's dead in my driveway. Oh, and over the past few days we've had below freezing temps. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
#1. PUSH IN ALL FUSES.
#2. Check underhood grounds

You could also try a "reboot, ." also sometimes referred to as a capacitive discharge.

Disconnect both NEG (from both batts) then POS battery cables from both and hold the driver side NEG and POS cable together for 30+ seconds.

Leave the truck sit for at least 5 minutes. Reconnect the cables (POS first on both batts, then NEG).

Now, that will probably reset your radio as well and it will take some time for all the apps to come back online.

Justice12t

Reaction score
I had about 21000 miles on my 2018 when the batteries went bad and had to be replaced. Battery saver would show up on the dash also. Unlike your situation however, I was able to charge/jump start it. It took some juice though. Jumping it from my wife’s car while hers was running alone wouldn’t do the trick.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I would for sure have the batteries checked these new electronics do some funky things, my bossed truck had one bad battery and would only start with remote start…. Had to jump the starter under the truck if trues starting normally…

Toprad

Reaction score
Well I pulled the batteries and got them load tested, and was told they were both good, just needed charging. So I put them on a trickle charger to charge them up, and then I'll reinstall them and see what that does. Maybe an alternator issue? I guess we'll see. I've got an appt with the local dealership in two weeks (soonest I could get). If I can't get it started I have to get it towed to the dealership. If it does start I'm driving it over. They're getting it either way. Until then I have a $70,000 lawn ornament.

Toprad

Reaction score
Just put in two brand new batteries, checked the fuses to make sure they're all pushed in, damn thing still won't turn over. Anyone have a clue?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Is it not under warranty? If so the dealer should be sending a tow truck on their dime

Toprad

Reaction score
It's under warranty and I just called a tow... On my roadside assistance. Apparently my local dealership "isn't set up for towing". Whatever. I'm just baffled by what this could be...

Toprad

Reaction score
Other threads I've read say maybe it's the starter? Kinda soon for a starter to die, but, built by the lowest bidder I guess...

Darmichar

Reaction score
With the battery charge warnings you've been getting it sounds like a ground issue.

Toprad

Reaction score
Turned out it was a starter that died, which was in turn causing a fuse fault. New starter fixed all. Took the local dealership service dept a week to fix the problem.

I'm so disgusted with them. I had the truck towed over there over two weeks ago, then on the day I was supposed to get my truck looked at, they misplaced my key. Found it later in the day but to late to do any work on the truck. Got it into the shop the next day, figured out it was a starter, but no starters in stock locally, and on backorder in their supply system. Found a starter at another dealership the next state over last Weds, took them until yesterday to get it, get it installed and ready for pickup.

Then when I was picking up the truck, found the bolt-in battery tray blocks sitting on the floor of the driver's seat, and later found other bolts loose and the passenger side battery positive terminal cover broken. Hate it when you get your vehicle worked on and they break other stuff while it's there. Cautionary tale I guess. At least it runs now.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
This is why the dealer is an absolute last-ditch effort.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

GOLDENBEAR2001

Reaction score
Thanks. I usually try to avoid dealerships altogether, but with it being a warranty issue, kinda forced my hand.
Just had this happen. No start and no crank situation. Only a noticeable & audible "click" in hood area. Then diesel preheat cycle starts over. 12.8 volts. Disconnected both negative battery cables; reconnected after a time. No start. Having to tow to a dealer under warranty to service. Need truck Friday AM To haul horses to ride............

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just had this happen. No start and no crank situation. Only a noticeable & audible "click" in hood area. Then diesel preheat cycle starts over. 12.8 volts. Disconnected both negative battery cables; reconnected after a time. No start. Having to tow to a dealer under warranty to service. Need truck Friday AM To haul horses to ride............
Well with any luck they have a new starter in stock

Reaction score
The starter went on my 2022 6.7 with 120 miles. Had to be towed to dealer and sat there 3 weeks while a stater was “expedited.” This was a month and a half ago. Hope they have a starter available for you.

Toprad

Reaction score
So this is kind of an ongoing saga. A couple weeks ago, my 2019 3500 Cummins out of the blue started going into battery saver mode when I would start it the first time each day for several days. This occurred with both remote start and normal start. Turning it off and back on got rid of it. Then, after about three or four days of this, the issue went away just as suddenly as it started.
Yesterday, I tried to start with the remote start, and it wouldn't start, with a message on the dash that said remote start was disabled, start engine to reset. I tried to start the engine normally, and when I pressed the button, it went into the normal pre-start process and coil warming and something in the engine clicked, but it wouldn't start. I tried it again a few more times, and it eventually started. This happened again intermittently again later in the day, but eventually did start, even with the remote. This afternoon, I went out to start the truck, and it won't start. At all. Press the brake, press the button, a loud click and nothing. Thought this might have something to do with the recent battery saver issue, battery says it's at 12.3 volts on the dash. Tried to jump start it, still won't start. I'm thinking battery or starter or both. The truck has 21000 miles on it and the batteries should still be good, but who knows. I'm going to get them load tested and go from there. It'll take weeks to get into my local dealership to get out looked at... Right now it's dead in my driveway. Oh, and over the past few days we've had below freezing temps. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
So update on this:. I ended up replacing both batteries, then had an issue a few times when it wouldn't start. Next morning, dead in my driveway. Had to be towed to the dealer. After then having it almost a month waiting for my appointment date, they finally figured out it was a bad starter. Replaced the new starter... That's a saga itself... And has been running great since. Wouldn't have thought a truck with 20,000 miles on it would crap a starter, but it did. Probably made in China.

flan

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up.

gen5020

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem. It started last week and now the truck is dead in the driveway. Only 60,000 miles and regular scheduled maintenance by the dealership. Whether you start the car inside or remotely, it does the same thing. It buzzes, starts pressurizing and there is an audible click under the hood and it shuts off. Block heater doesn't make a difference. Anti-gel fuel additive didn't make a difference, outdoor temp doesn't make a difference. Batteries are fine. Looking for advice. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread