Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine light because of after market air filter? 2020 2500 diesel

R. Yates

Reaction score
I was told that my engine light came on because of not having an OEM air filter. I'm highly suspicious since whatever filter is in it has been there for the last 8000 mi. (I bought the truck used) I recently had my CP3 replacement done so they're saying that because of that, the filter problem is now showing up. Anybody else experience this?

jbncccb

Reaction score
I've seen posts on it like you are describing, but like you I'm skeptical. I used Docs filter this last time with no issues.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What filter is in it?

Is it a CAI or just a different filter?

R. Yates

Reaction score
I've seen posts on it like you are describing, but like you I'm skeptical. I used Docs filter this last time with no issues.

Thanks, maybe I'll give that a try.

R. Yates

Reaction score

I forgot to ask. Have you had the cp3 fuel pump installed?

R. Yates

Reaction score
Got a photo?
I'll get a photo when I replace it. Or maybe the brand is on it. Either way I'll post the results of a different filter. Thinking of trying a Docs like jbncccb mentioned.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So it’s the stock intake? You didn’t answer that question.

R. Yates

Reaction score
I can't say since I bought it used. It only had about 8000 mi. on but the guy had it all tricked out so I suppose he might have changed the stock filter.

R. Yates

Reaction score
I can't say since I bought it used. It only had about 8000 mi. on but the guy had it all tricked out so I suppose he might have changed the stock filter.
Sorry. Intake stuff is stock.

jebruns

Reaction score
So the light didn't show up until the replaced the pump? If so, I'd call BS on it. I'd also buy an OEM air filter to prove them wrong.

R. Yates

Reaction score
So the light didn't show up until the replaced the pump? If so, I'd call BS on it. I'd also buy an OEM air filter to prove them wrong.
Yeah the light showed up literally on the next day I drove the truck, after the pump replacement. Good point on buying an OEM filter.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I just ordered a Mopar.

Even that may be the wrong filter. Jury is still out:

R. Yates

Reaction score
Even that may be the wrong filter. Jury is still out:

I ordered it from Amazon and there was actually a comment from somebody that must have had the same problem. He said, "this filter will solve the engine light problem." Fingers crossed.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I was told that my engine light came on because of not having an OEM air filter. I'm highly suspicious since whatever filter is in it has been there for the last 8000 mi. (I bought the truck used) I recently had my CP3 replacement done so they're saying that because of that, the filter problem is now showing up. Anybody else experience this?
This is just me, but I guess the first thing I would want to know when doing a sight unseen diagnostic is…the fault(s) that are stored.

R. Yates

Reaction score
This is just me, but I guess the first thing I would want to know when doing a sight unseen diagnostic is…the fault(s) that are stored.
I should have been more specific. My Ram dealership diagnosed it. In fact they left their little code reader connected and I drove home with it. It's hard to believe that the truck suddenly doesn't like the filter after at least 8000 miles. Total miles is only 16.7k

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I should have been more specific. My Ram dealership diagnosed it. In fact they left their little code reader connected and I drove home with it. It's hard to believe that the truck suddenly doesn't like the filter after at least 8000 miles. Total miles is only 16.7k

Airflow changes as filters age, it’s possible it was simply coincidence but I would still want to know the code.

Users who are viewing this thread