Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
I own a basically brand new ram 3500 gas. Recently I noticed an engine groan at low seeds between 10-30mph. It seems to get worse or better as the transmission is between gearing. Its a muffling deep tone in the cab and sometimes it vibrates the pedal. Has anyone had a similar experience or can think of what it may be. I know if I take it to the dealer they are gonna say there's probably nothing wrong with it. They couldn't even mount my window visors correctly, they installed them backwards! So im Leary about just bringing it down without some research first. Thanks.

anderson0172

Reaction score
I own a basically brand new ram 3500 gas. Recently I noticed an engine groan at low seeds between 10-30mph. It seems to get worse or better as the transmission is between gearing. Its a muffling deep tone in the cab and sometimes it vibrates the pedal. Has anyone had a similar experience or can think of what it may be. I know if I take it to the dealer they are gonna say there's probably nothing wrong with it. They couldn't even mount my window visors correctly, they installed them backwards! So im Leary about just bringing it down without some research first. Thanks.
Mine does that when MDS kicks on and its worse at low speeds so maybe that's what it is

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
I never noticed it in the first 8 months of driving, always felt smooth. I made an appointment at the deal next week, I just hope they don't pull the old tooth ache shenanigans. Thanks for the reply.

anderson0172

Reaction score
I never noticed it in the first 8 months of driving, always felt smooth. I made an appointment at the deal next week, I just hope they don't pull the old tooth ache shenanigans. Thanks for the reply.
Let us know what they say

yarnellm

Reaction score
To confirm that it is the MDS causing the vibration, use the gear limiter and select '8'. this will lock out the MDS but allow shifts from 1st to 8th gear. I believe what you are feeling is the MDS engaging. Mine does the same thing.

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
I’ve been toying with the MDS since members indicated it may cause an issue. I tried using the manual shift buttons and the tow/haul mode button. I did notice a slight improvement where before the transmission felt confused as to what gear it should be in. But it’s most present when I’m coasting and the barely pressing the accelerator. It’s like when a semi truck down shifts and coasts. Obviously not as loud, but that’s what it seems like. I was wondering if it has something to do with cold weather. Over the summer and autumn I didn’t hear anything like this.

cdrjack

Reaction score
As an owner of a new 2020 2500 6.4 MegaCab with 1900 miles on it, I wanted to share that I have the exact same symptoms and can 100% confirm it's during MDS operation. I've been wondering if mine was an outlier or if this sort of completely unrefined engine sound and physical feel was typical. It sounds and feels like I'm lugging a v-twin Briggs and Stratton, not a top-dollar truck engine. So, we know there are at least two of us experiencing this. Please do let us know what the dealer offers, and if others are experiencing MDS in this same way, I'd love to hear about it and whether they've found any remedy.

anderson0172

Reaction score
As an owner of a new 2020 2500 6.4 MegaCab with 1900 miles on it, I wanted to share that I have the exact same symptoms and can 100% confirm it's during MDS operation. I've been wondering if mine was an outlier or if this sort of completely unrefined engine sound and physical feel was typical. It sounds and feels like I'm lugging a v-twin Briggs and Stratton, not a top-dollar truck engine. So, we know there are at least two of us experiencing this. Please do let us know what the dealer offers, and if others are experiencing MDS in this same way, I'd love to hear about it and whether they've found any remedy.
Mine is the same way and is worse at slow speeds such as driving through a neighborhood. As soon as it kicks out of ads mode it's smooth and quiet but in ads it vibrates and just sounds unhealthy

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
So on a freak chance i notice something unusual. I was sitting in the cab, listening to the engine idea and hearing this groan...i opened the door slightly...engine noise disappeared. closed door, engine noise back. Opened window 6 inches, engine noise gone, closed engine noise back. I put it in gear and idled down the street with the noise and opened the door slightly...noise gone. Try it and let me know. Truck is in the dealership right now, let’s see what non sense they tell me.

r440

Reaction score
I bet it's a noise cancelling module , my Ram 1500 was making funny noise with 4 people in it I complained to the dealer and there was a flash and have'nt had problem since

Arthurw64

Reaction score
Mine has been doing that since day 1, even at higher speeds. If it's quiet and the mds engages, I can feel and hear a difference. Other members have noted it as well. Especially if they have aftermarket exhaust systems.

kxnate

Reaction score
New 2021 6.4 owner. I can definitely tell when MDS kicks on. AM I concerned about it, no. I just assume changing an 8 cylinder into a 4 cylinder is going to change the tune of the song it's singing.

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
So here's the verdict. Noise cancellation module not working. They tried to give it back saying they didn't find anything. I asked the Service manager to take a ride with me. I duplicated the issue and he said it was the noise cancellation module (wow great service...said no one ever @ dodge) When you open the door or window its shuts offhand the frequency goes away. The groan is actually a sound frequency coming from the speakers. Service tech tried to update the system and it failed and then tried to reload the software and it failed again. so probably the actual module, which is located under the dash between the emergency brake and the brake pedal up underneath is bad. Of course they didn't have the part. He tried to leave it unplugged but that disabled any audio output. At this point, I'm not pursuing it because shortly I will be installing a complete aftermarket sound system in the truck basically bypassing all of that anyway. The Vibration part of it is MDS, I can minimize that by putting in 8th gear or using tow/haul mode. I drove 200 miles today w/o MDS and got 15.2 MPG @ 80mph. The noise frequency seemed to accentuate the vibration making it worse than it actually was. Thanks for following and I hope this thread was useful.. Thanks for all the comments.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hi cdrjack,
We do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your Ram. Feel free to let us know via private message if you plan to work with your dealer to resolve this. We are happy to provide you with additional assistance during that process.

Rob
Ram Cares

cdrjack

Reaction score
Hi cdrjack,
We do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your Ram. Feel free to let us know via private message if you plan to work with your dealer to resolve this. We are happy to provide you with additional assistance during that process.

Rob
Ram Cares
Hi Rob!

Thanks so much for replying to this -- I'm quite sorry for not seeing your response until just now. While I normally would have loved to reach out to make a resolution plan with you, I'm happy to report that my latest UConnect software update appears to have corrected this issue (lending credence to the noise cancellation logic being the root cause). MDS now is noticeable to a degree that I would consider normal (different engine note/reduced power & response) and perfectly acceptable.

Thanks again,
Gavin

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
Manufacturers need to stop this use of the cars audio systems to cancel or enhance driving experiences. Without my noise canceling system functioning it is just as quiet as any car or truck i’ve had in the past. I was recently in a friends Ford Explorer, and if he drives it in sport mode, the audio system broadcasts artificial engine revs through the speakers. So stupid and useless.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hi Rob!

Thanks so much for replying to this -- I'm quite sorry for not seeing your response until just now. While I normally would have loved to reach out to make a resolution plan with you, I'm happy to report that my latest UConnect software update appears to have corrected this issue (lending credence to the noise cancellation logic being the root cause). MDS now is noticeable to a degree that I would consider normal (different engine note/reduced power & response) and perfectly acceptable.

Thanks again,
Gavin
Hi Gavin,
We're happy to hear that your concern has been resolved. Should any other concerns return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Rob
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread