Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emissions Reset - How Long?

switz

Reaction score
So, I have a 2019 3500 HO that I special ordered at the start of the new model. I received a notice from DMV (California) that my registration was coming due and I needed a factory recall fixed on the emissions system. I took it to the dealer and they did the recall. I drove it home (60 miles) and to the smog station where it failed. I was told I had to drive it more for it to finally reset. I have now driven it close to 600 miles and have taken it back to the smog station where it still fails. I took it back to the dealer and their smog guy took a look and said there was nothing they could do and I just have to drive it until it resets. I have owned this truck for three years and only have 7k miles on it and now drive it as a daily driver just to get this fixed. Any ideas on how to get this to reset? I was told by the dealer to accelerate to 70, then coast, drive at 60 then repeat. Done this many, many times with no luck.

And, so I don't have to keep going to the smog shop, does an OBD reader give me the smog fail codes? Finally, there is no yellow warning dash light indicating there is anything wrong so it is just a guessing game.

Thanks!

carlrx7

Reaction score
My OBDII tells me if all test are complete. If it fails it should set a code. You will fail if it shows "incomplete". 3 key cycles at 30 miles each should be enough to finish all the tests. Are you messing with the battery or programing/code reader tool?

switz

Reaction score
My OBDII tells me if all test are complete. If it fails it should set a code. You will fail if it shows "incomplete". 3 key cycles at 30 miles each should be enough to finish all the tests. Are you messing with the battery or programing/code reader tool?
Boy,I sure have done more than three key cycles. I am going to get an OBD reader and take a look. I am not messing with anything, just driving it to try to get this done. Thanks for the reply.

Firebird

Reaction score
I’ve seen where it can take 2 weeks from some reports

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So, I have a 2019 3500 HO that I special ordered at the start of the new model. I received a notice from DMV (California) that my registration was coming due and I needed a factory recall fixed on the emissions system. I took it to the dealer and they did the recall. I drove it home (60 miles) and to the smog station where it failed. I was told I had to drive it more for it to finally reset. I have now driven it close to 600 miles and have taken it back to the smog station where it still fails. I took it back to the dealer and their smog guy took a look and said there was nothing they could do and I just have to drive it until it resets. I have owned this truck for three years and only have 7k miles on it and now drive it as a daily driver just to get this fixed. Any ideas on how to get this to reset? I was told by the dealer to accelerate to 70, then coast, drive at 60 then repeat. Done this many, many times with no luck.

And, so I don't have to keep going to the smog shop, does an OBD reader give me the smog fail codes? Finally, there is no yellow warning dash light indicating there is anything wrong so it is just a guessing game.

Thanks!
In order to get all the readiness monitors set, do as much stop and go city driving as possible, multiple drive cycles, and it needs to do at least one regen. Do not drive it on the highway, as this does nothing to help set the monitors. Keep in mind, in California, you are allowed two monitors to not be set, and still pass.

switz

Reaction score
In order to get all the readiness monitors set, do as much stop and go city driving as possible, multiple drive cycles, and it needs to do at least one regen. Do not drive it on the highway, as this does nothing to help set the monitors. Keep in mind, in California, you are allowed two monitors to not be set, and still pass.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. How do I know when the truck does a "regen"?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply. How do I know when the truck does a "regen"?
Use the DPF screen on your EVIC, it’ll tell you when the truck is doing an active regen.

Phil T

Reaction score
I am in the same trap. I had the A/C TSB done a few weeks ago. Obviously, the service requires the batteries be disconnected. Registration is due May 31. Took it to my regular smog guy and 5 monitors were not ready. $40.00 flushed down the crapper. He told me to drive it around 100 miles, so I drive it to work, to the doctor, and back home. Went back to him and he connected his OBD reader and 3 monitors are still not ready. All three require a regen. I called the dealer, and was told to drive some steep grade a couple of times and it should set the monitors to ready. Did that and still have the same 3 monitors not ready. Since I have OBDLink MX, I used the andriod version of OBDLink to check the status of the 3 monitors. Then, I did some rapid acceleration from 0-40 at least 15 times to see if that would soot up the DPF. So for no luck. The DPF gauge still is reading zero. We will be leaving June 10 for a 3 week trip with the trailer and the only thing I can do at this point is to pay the registration, have no new tags, and hope that the Mounties in the states we are going to don't get all butt hurt about May tags in June.

Who thinks of this ****? How ridiculous to have to burn a bunch of oil and put miles on a new truck just to set stupid monitors.

We have had the truck now 2 years and it only has 3300 miles on it. The last 300 was to try and get these monitors to go ready.

Thanks EPA and CARB for contributing to pollution and global warming.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Use the DPF screen on your EVIC, it’ll tell you when the truck is doing an active regen.
Would using AlfaOBD to force a regen help set any of those monitors?

Is there any procedure to force readiness checks? On my Audi, I could use VAGCOM (now VCDS) to force a readiness.

ETA: Rhetorical question I'm sure. EPA wouldn't let anyone except Volkswagon tamper with emissions readiness...

Last edited:

switz

Reaction score
I am in the same trap. I had the A/C TSB done a few weeks ago. Obviously, the service requires the batteries be disconnected. Registration is due May 31. Took it to my regular smog guy and 5 monitors were not ready. $40.00 flushed down the crapper. He told me to drive it around 100 miles, so I drive it to work, to the doctor, and back home. Went back to him and he connected his OBD reader and 3 monitors are still not ready. All three require a regen. I called the dealer, and was told to drive some steep grade a couple of times and it should set the monitors to ready. Did that and still have the same 3 monitors not ready. Since I have OBDLink MX, I used the andriod version of OBDLink to check the status of the 3 monitors. Then, I did some rapid acceleration from 0-40 at least 15 times to see if that would soot up the DPF. So for no luck. The DPF gauge still is reading zero. We will be leaving June 10 for a 3 week trip with the trailer and the only thing I can do at this point is to pay the registration, have no new tags, and hope that the Mounties in the states we are going to don't get all butt hurt about May tags in June.

Who thinks of this ****? How ridiculous to have to burn a bunch of oil and put miles on a new truck just to set stupid monitors.

We have had the truck now 2 years and it only has 3300 miles on it. The last 300 was to try and get these monitors to go ready.

Thanks EPA and CARB for contributing to pollution and global warming.
Trust me, I felt your pain. It took me over 600 miles for it to reset. If you are in California, you can do what I did. Go to the DMV and pay your fees. Once paid, they will give you additional time (I believe I was told 45 days)and you won't have a penalty; they have seen this before. I went to a local auto parts store and they had an OBD reader that I could either rent (really cheap) or just take outside to check if the items cleared. You have to make sure the reader will do the specific smog stuff you want. I had to check around 8 times before it finally cleared. My truck isn't my daily driver but it was for a month just to get this crap code cleared so I could pass smog. I did have the dealer explain it to me. He told me in the past, a check engine light would come on and folks would use a reader to just clear the engine light. Then the truck would be taken to a smog test and it would pass. A few miles later, the light would come on again. So, now it seems f'n California has taken it to the extreme, and now it takes a long time and many unnecessary miles to clear the code. It will clear; you just have to keep driving it until it does. All the best in this.

JC82 HD2500

Reaction score
Trust me, I felt your pain. It took me over 600 miles for it to reset. If you are in California, you can do what I did. Go to the DMV and pay your fees. Once paid, they will give you additional time (I believe I was told 45 days)and you won't have a penalty; they have seen this before. I went to a local auto parts store and they had an OBD reader that I could either rent (really cheap) or just take outside to check if the items cleared. You have to make sure the reader will do the specific smog stuff you want. I had to check around 8 times before it finally cleared. My truck isn't my daily driver but it was for a month just to get this crap code cleared so I could pass smog. I did have the dealer explain it to me. He told me in the past, a check engine light would come on and folks would use a reader to just clear the engine light. Then the truck would be taken to a smog test and it would pass. A few miles later, the light would come on again. So, now it seems f'n California has taken it to the extreme, and now it takes a long time and many unnecessary miles to clear the code. It will clear; you just have to keep driving it until it does. All the best in this.
Thanks Commiefornia.

werard

Reaction score
What model year did this all start? I've never had an issue with my 04.5 All they do is verify vin and a visual check.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Dang. Diesels are exempt here. vehicles over 8000gvwr or 25 years old are exempt as well, so I’m exempt across the board.

matski

Reaction score
I'm glad I live in Florida and don't have to mess with any of that.

Users who are viewing this thread