Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emissions compliant tunes who has them and how do you like them?

relbus

Reaction score
I said I was going to leave this truck stock, but here I am considering purchasing calibrated EZ link tune bundle. Who has it and how do you like it?

Have you had tuned trucks in the past? How does this compare? Have you had any warranty work done on the truck since tuning?

Currently calibrated has an end of summer sale going on, so if I am going to do this I would like to take advantage of the deal they are offering.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Calibrated is great and yes John is a very good guy to ask he seems to love his calibrated tunes and speaks very highly of them

John Jensen

Reaction score
I said I was going to leave this truck stock, but here I am considering purchasing calibrated EZ link tune bundle. Who has it and how do you like it?

Have you had tuned trucks in the past? How does this compare? Have you had any warranty work done on the truck since tuning?

Currently calibrated has an end of summer sale going on, so if I am going to do this I would like to take advantage of the deal they are offering.
I have it as does my brother. We like the tunes and the service

Have tuned all of my past trucks. There are too many variables to make a comparison. I have had warranty work done. The most recent was the HPFP pump replacement. I merely return it to the stock tune anytime I go to the dealer. My Service Manager knows I'm tuned and always asks if I've returned to stock

Calibrated recently added a SOFT, highly recommend it. I just made a 950 mile run from SoCal to Oregon. I made the whole run using the optimized stock tune setting, which was excellent. I selected the Sport tune a few times to make a fast pass around slower gig trucks., awesome! I back off when it hits 117mph and still has much more to go. It's so easy to hit 90 on a routine pass, have to watch it. If you get tuned my best advice is to run the highways in cruise control, it will save you tickets

Last edited:

relbus

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply John. Have you had a deleted truck in the past?

Surprised to hear the pump was replaced with a tuned truck. I am wondering what they would have said if the pump had failed with the truck being tuned?
I am not sure how many folks are aware of the grid heater bolt/stud issue on thew 6.7, or if its still a problem? ON my previous truck that bolt took out my motor, and I had no warranty because of the tune/delete. So I am a bit gun shy, but I'd like to go back to having a tuned truck.

Sounds like she pulls hard! I almost always use the cruise, so I should be good.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Surprised to hear the pump was replaced with a tuned truck. I am wondering what they would have said if the pump had failed with the truck being tuned?
I am not sure how many folks are aware of the grid heater bolt/stud issue on thew 6.7, or if its still a problem? ON my previous truck that bolt took out my motor, and I had no warranty because of the tune/delete. So I am a bit gun shy, but I'd like to go back to having a tuned truck.

Sounds like she pulls hard! I almost always use the cruise, so I should be good.
That could have been an easy win in court no way a delete would drop the grid heater bolt….

relbus

Reaction score
That could have been an easy win in court no way a delete would drop the grid heater bolt….
I kind of doubt that...at least with the way my luck works!

Yes, no way a delete caused that. There are guys who have had it happen on bone stock trucks, modified trucks, low mile trucks , and high mile trucks. If I were ever to delete another truck, it would have a grid delete and remote grid heater.
That is exactly the way that truck was put back together - with GDP grid delete, and GDP remote grid heater on Glaciers intake horn. Piston 6 sits on my desk to this day as a paper weight to remind me of this nightmare. Unfortunately that truck dropped an exhaust valve a few years later and I had to wave the white flag and move on.

John Jensen

Reaction score

I am not deleter

relbus

Reaction score
OK. Just curious because I'd like to hear someones opinion who has had both a tuned compliant truck and a tuned deleted truck. I definitely miss the sound!!

UglyViking

Reaction score
You're not going to get the sound back without deleting. The DPF and all that act like the worlds biggest and best muffler, so it's always going to be quiet. If you want that sound, delete is your only option.

I'm currently running Calibrated tunes and I've very happy with them. My first diesel truck so I can't compare it to anything else, but I think it's notable quicker with the tuning. No one is going to mistake it for a vette, but it's def a bit more pep than stock.

I don't know what emissions or inspection stuff you have to deal with in Chi, so that's the biggest thing to consider if you're toying with a delete. That and while I don't think anyone personally has been arrested or charged with deleting their truck, a lot of shops have clamped down, so you're gonna have an uphill battle getting tunes.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Please be careful with the words you chose to use here.
EPA started going after consumers, I've read a story a few days ago, EPA found out his truck was deleted and sent him a letter saying he has to return it to stock, he refused and said he would register it for offroad use only, was not good enough for them, I don't remember all the details but his truck ended up being crushed, it was cheaper to get rid of it than to install the emissions equipment back on it. It's getting [redacted] South of the boarder.

Last edited by a moderator:

UglyViking

Reaction score
EPA started going after consumers, I've read a story a few days ago, EPA found out his truck was deleted and sent him a letter saying he has to return it to stock, he refused and said he would register it for offroad use only, was not good enough for them, I don't remember all the details but his truck ended up being crushed, it was cheaper to get rid of it than to install the emissions equipment back on it. It's getting retarded South of the boarder.
Here is the story you're referring to: article 1, article 2, article 3.

The story doesn't quite add up. NJDEP hasn't come out directly to make any statement, why would they, but the owner has released bits and pieces of information that don't add up. Either way, even if the story is true, the EPA isn't the one going after him here, the NJ DEP is. If you live in a state without emissions testing, or without strong "blue" lawmakers, it's much less likely to be an issue for you. Obviously there are other concerns outside the strict legality (is it that harmful for the environment, should I be trusting some company that sells an illegal product to tune my truck, are these hard parts going to hold up, what happens if I've got an issue, etc.)

MEGA HO

Reaction score
in the main time, all the tankers, container and cruise ships are exempt as well as many other oil burners in different industries. yeah makes sense

UglyViking

Reaction score
in the main time, all the tankers, container and cruise ships are exempt as well as many other oil burners in different industries. yeah makes sense
I commented this on a Discord channel so I'll repost it here.

Transportation accounts for 27% of all greenhouse gas emissions according to the EPA. Of all greenhouse gas, only 7% is NOx, which seems to be a primary concern around diesel trucks.

Of the transportation sector, 45% of it comes from passenger vehicles (not including on-road freight), 16% being light duty trucks.

So rough math, that means that all light-duty trucks in the us account for just over 4% of the total. While I love to see us lower all possible emissions for our ability to continue to survive as a species, including my children, I am worried that we are stepping over a dollar to pickup a dime as they say.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I commented this on a Discord channel so I'll repost it here.

Transportation accounts for 27% of all greenhouse gas emissions according to the EPA. Of all greenhouse gas, only 7% is NOx, which seems to be a primary concern around diesel trucks.

Of the transportation sector, 45% of it comes from passenger vehicles (not including on-road freight), 16% being light duty trucks.

So rough math, that means that all light-duty trucks in the us account for just over 4% of the total. While I love to see us lower all possible emissions for our ability to continue to survive as a species, including my children, I am worried that we are stepping over a dollar to pickup a dime as they say.
Other than the world doing its natural climate progression there is still no proof that we are hurting the enviroment… hell since CFC’s were banned in the 90s the hole in the ozone that they created is shrinking….

UglyViking

Reaction score
Other than the world doing its natural climate progression there is still no proof that we are hurting the enviroment… hell since CFC’s were banned in the 90s the hole in the ozone that they created is shrinking….
I think this may be well off topic, but this "natural climate progression" trend is absolutely correlated with our entry into the industrial revolution and ICE transportations past that.

1663862556622.png
(source)

You can clearly see the spike, and this data is a few years old. Yes, the earth goes through climate changes, but we are going through one at a scale and speed the planet as never seen as far as we have been able to record thus far.

Now, you can argue that diesel trucks aren't to blame for this. Fair argument. You can argue that you don't trust the science for one of a number of reasons, also fair but I'd ask why you trust that the planet has gone through changes at all if you find the data so untrustworthy.

And, just to hit off any comments around the scientists models changing so much. It's not at all shocking that climate models are so far off considering the number of variables that need to be taken into account, the fact they are always changing, and we are bettering our knowledge.

I'm not saying we should just shut down the global economy and live like cavemen, but it's foolish to ignore this. If scientists are wrong and this isn't an issue, then we have only learned how to create better energy sources (eg. solar, nuclear, etc.) and if we are right, well maybe we save ourselves from extinction or from losing the planet as we know it.

This is not to say that batteries are the answer (lots of issues in their current state), or that solar or wind are the direction forward (solar relies on batteries, plus it's not super efficient yet, wind has tons of issues), or anything like that. That said, if we don't invest in them, they will never get better. The original automobiles were slower, less reliable, and more expensive than horses. I'm sure glad that we continued to explore them as a viable option.

Try and not let yourself get caught in only looking at the surface, or just believing some singular side of a political/scientific debate because it aligns with your worldview. Not saying that is what you're doing, but I find it's a helpful reminder.

End my rant.

g00fy

Reaction score

Hate to thread jack, but I'm with you. The planet is 4.5billion years old, if you turn that into a timeline giving every decade an Inch, that timeline would be 7100 miles long, so basically the distance from NYC to Taiwan in nautical miles. What do we have, 200? maybe 250 years of well documented weather data? So that's 20 - 25" of that timeline to determine the climate patterns we're experiencing are man made or part of a natural climate pattern, doesn't seem like enough data to me... Just something to think about.

Anyway, that being said, I have no desire to delete, I live in NJ and don't need that kinda negativity in my life. I'm looking forward to getting an emissions intact tune, but I'm probably going to go with a plug & play piggyback style tune from banks or edge so I can completely remove it without a trace should a warranty issue ever arise.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I think this may be well off topic, but this "natural climate progression" trend is absolutely correlated with our entry into the industrial revolution and ICE transportations past that.

View attachment 44638
(source)

You can clearly see the spike, and this data is a few years old. Yes, the earth goes through climate changes, but we are going through one at a scale and speed the planet as never seen as far as we have been able to record thus far.

Now, you can argue that diesel trucks aren't to blame for this. Fair argument. You can argue that you don't trust the science for one of a number of reasons, also fair but I'd ask why you trust that the planet has gone through changes at all if you find the data so untrustworthy.

And, just to hit off any comments around the scientists models changing so much. It's not at all shocking that climate models are so far off considering the number of variables that need to be taken into account, the fact they are always changing, and we are bettering our knowledge.

I'm not saying we should just shut down the global economy and live like cavemen, but it's foolish to ignore this. If scientists are wrong and this isn't an issue, then we have only learned how to create better energy sources (eg. solar, nuclear, etc.) and if we are right, well maybe we save ourselves from extinction or from losing the planet as we know it.

This is not to say that batteries are the answer (lots of issues in their current state), or that solar or wind are the direction forward (solar relies on batteries, plus it's not super efficient yet, wind has tons of issues), or anything like that. That said, if we don't invest in them, they will never get better. The original automobiles were slower, less reliable, and more expensive than horses. I'm sure glad that we continued to explore them as a viable option.

Try and not let yourself get caught in only looking at the surface, or just believing some singular side of a political/scientific debate because it aligns with your worldview. Not saying that is what you're doing, but I find it's a helpful reminder.

End my rant.
See it only seems like government funded studies show this spike all other studies do not show the same data…

relbus

Reaction score
Makes zero sense. However that’s the hand we have been dealt. Not worth the risk to me anymore. Even if I never get caught, lots of shops don’t want to touch a. Deleted truck. Resale value tanks. And the chance of your warranty being denied seems to increase simply because it’s blatantly obvious when hard parts have been removed.

I’ve tried the deleted route. I’ve never tried staying compliant. There seems to be some very happy EPA compliant owners out there.

Just placed the order. Should be here tomorrow and then I’m off for a run to the cabin. Should have 1k+ miles over the weekend. I will report back.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Hate to thread jack, but I'm with you. The planet is 4.5billion years old, if you turn that into a timeline giving every decade an Inch, that timeline would be 7100 miles long, so basically the distance from NYC to Taiwan in nautical miles. What do we have, 200? maybe 250 years of well documented weather data? So that's 20 - 25" of that timeline to determine the climate patterns we're experiencing are man made or part of a natural climate pattern, doesn't seem like enough data to me... Just something to think about.

Anyway, that being said, I have no desire to delete, I live in NJ and don't need that kinda negativity in my life. I'm looking forward to getting an emissions intact tune, but I'm probably going to go with a plug & play piggyback style tune from banks or edge so I can completely remove it without a trace should a warranty issue ever arise.
I don't disagree on timelines, but for one, I don't believe the earth has supported life the entire 4.5 billion years, so you'd really need to look at the years post it stabilizing. Either way, even still I agree that we don't have the full picture, no argument there. That said, we do have data for at least 2000 years, and during that time, at least as far as we have been able to tell, it was relatively stable until around the industrial revolution. Complete and random coinsidence?

See it only seems like government funded studies show this spike all other studies do not show the same data…
Are you aware of studies that are different? Can you link me to them, legit curious.

Users who are viewing this thread