Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy light bar installation. You can do this!

peewee86

Reaction score
I frequent a lot of different user forums but normally I rarely join in unless I have something to add. Other than member introductions this is my first post.

F6666BB1-4AA6-4978-85C4-A0BE48E6E017.jpeg

This last weekend with the COVID-19 keeping me stuck around the house I got busy with installing a light bar on the front of my 2019 2500. I will walk through the steps I took so others can have another project to keep them busy during the stay at home time. I looked at possible mounting locations and behind the lower grill seemed like the cleanest option. It is out of sight except when the light is turned on. The grill itself is about 26 inches wide and once I got under and looked at the metal framing on either side I found a mounting point measurement of 28 5/8” wide. There are already holes predrilled so this is a no drill installation. I purchased a 25” light bar off eBay. I paid $51 to my door for a pair of them. I plan to keep the second one around as a spare. Although I have yet to have one fail, many of the cheap light bars don’t have the best reputation for reliability. It’s listed as a 240W 6D light but I’m not sure that it is any brighter than other 100W inexpensive light bars that I have purchased in the past. I’m not making a specific recommendation for a product but you’d like something in that 25 to 26 inches overall length range. Mine measured 26 3/8” end to end.

I had some 3 inch mounting brackets laying around the garage that were left over from a different light bar. (See photo) If your light bar doesn’t come with something like this they’re available for about $8 on Amazon. They were originally an L shape but I put them into a vise and with a hammer made a second 90° bend in each bracket to make a “Z”. Your goal is to get an overall length of 28 5/8” when attached to your light bar to match the radiator framing. It’s not rocket science. The brackets will flex a little bit so as long as you are close it’s probably OK. My brackets were stainless steel and I used stainless 1 inch 1/4-20 bolts with nylock nuts. I used the lower set of holes in the frame but if you have the sensors in your grill you will most likely need to use the upper set. If the brackets that you use are not stainless steel they may need to be repainted after bending them to prevent them from rusting. The original paint will probably flake off at the bend.

033E8851-96EE-4CB4-870F-B835D1B0F580.jpegCF1074BA-FE79-4846-971B-9AA3BFF89D04.jpeg0E0BBB3E-1104-480D-9CAD-10175642AFFC.jpeg5247D595-74AA-4995-964A-EA72397C3A10.jpeg4EF02539-5B20-4E3E-BA93-C6681BBF2D9C.jpeg

My truck had the upfitter switches so the wiring was quite easy. No need for a relay or fuse. Ram has taken care of that already with the upfitter package. I had a generic weatherpack waterproof connector lying around the garage left over from a previous project. I used it to connect the light bar pigtail to my wire run. You will need about 4 1/2 feet of 12 gauge black and red multi strand wire. I recommend protective wire loom which should only cost about $3. I didn’t get any photos of the wiring but I’d be happy to post them up to this thread when I get a chance. I used a ring terminal on the ground wire and attached to a grounding lug right next to the battery. The hot wire runs back to the firewall on the driver side and is soldered on to one of the 12 gauge pigtails that comes with the upfitter package. Then it is just a matter of snapping the pigtail end into the terminal block.

Check out the pictures and feel free to ask me any questions.
I wanted to reiterate how much of a piece a cake this was to put together. You can do this! -PeeWee.

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I almost regret not getting the upfitter swtiches...been watching the other thread on how to install after the fact.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Nice post and great shots of your bracket and it's mounting.
That's the cheapest, cleanest, best bracket idea of all that I have read about.
For those who cannot make their own brackets Baja Designs sells a nice set of S/S brackets for a 20" bar for 99.00.

Power247

Reaction score
Nice work! I like the simplicity.

Greg
2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

peewee86

Reaction score
Looks really good. Is it that bright? Can you post some shots of it on at night aimed out to show its beam?
It looks bright but I can’t say that I’ve been overwhelmed with the light output. Not sure if it has to do with a lack of testing, the mounting location, or if I just bought the wrong product. I have yet to give it a full test but if you guys will be patient, this weekend I will do some side-by-side tests and post some photos from the drivers seat and of the unmounted light. In my original post I said I bought a spare light bar as a backup. I’m going to zip-tie that spare one on top of the 20” 4d light bar that is mounted on my golf cart to to have a direct comparison of the two. I have been pleased with the brightness of the light bar on my golf cart.

If I find that the light bar that I purchased isn’t up to the task I will buy something different and install a second light in the upper mounting holes. It’s not worth my time to remove and return the one that I have. I wasn’t going to give free advertising to anybody, but I have no problem throwing a product under the bus if it doesn’t meet my expectation.

Stay tuned. -PeeWee

Last edited:

PGHChris81

Reaction score
It looks bright but I can’t say that I’ve been overwhelmed with the light output. Not sure if it has to do with a lack of testing, the mounting location, or if I just bought the wrong product. I have yet to give it a full test but if you guys will be patient, this weekend I will do some side-by-side tests and post some photos from the drivers seat and of the unmounted light. In my original post I said I bought a spare light bar as a backup. I’m going to zip-tie that spare one on top of the 20” 4d light bar that is mounted on my golf cart to to have a direct comparison of the two. I have been pleased with the brightness of the light bar on my golf cart.

If I find that the light bar that I purchased isn’t up to the task I will buy something different and install a second light in the upper mounting holes. It’s not worth my time to remove and return the one that I have. I wasn’t going to give free advertising to anybody, but I have no problem throwing a product under the bus if it doesn’t meet my expectation.

Stay tuned. -PeeWee
Thanks, I appreciate it! It might have to do with it being obstructed behind the plastic there why it's not as bright.

.genomer

Reaction score
This is awesome, I've been looking for a solution that didnt require the $700 kit from Baja. I happen to have all the required items lying around and will try it out soon too!

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I will be doing the same thing to mine, plug an play. Nice write up

DarkNight

Reaction score
Looks good. I have been looking into doing something similar. I'm assuming from the pictures this was on a gas truck and no parking sensors. It looks like there may be enough room on the Cummins as long as you can clear the intercooler there. Only problem I see is the air dam covers the frame access on the sides.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I tried on my oil burner and gave up, all the rubber flaps on the sides made it more difficult. Got tired of laying on my back and mounted it on the bumper instead. I was a little worried about how much surface area my double row bar would block air flow to the cooler.:eek:

peewee86

Reaction score
Looks good. I have been looking into doing something similar. I'm assuming from the pictures this was on a gas truck and no parking sensors. It looks like there may be enough room on the Cummins as long as you can clear the intercooler there. Only problem I see is the air dam covers the frame access on the sides.
That is correct. I have the 6.4 and do not have the parking sensors. I mentioned in the original post that I believe a person could use the upper two frame holes and mount the light above the sensors. It sounds like if a person has the diesel there are additional challenges to making this work.

RPS1030

Reaction score
I just did the Baja Designs light bar kit on my 19 diesel yesterday afternoon. The brackets are impressive and catch the upper bumper lip and a lower mounting stud from the lower grill insert. Definitely a pain/annoying getting everything aligned and centered to match the width of the bar as well.

I chose the bigger ONX6+ since the output is similar to the XL80s I've run on my previous truck. I'll have to keep an eye on it, but the airflow to the CAC does pull from the airdam/bumper opening/and gap between the bumper and grill; so we shall see.

.genomer

Reaction score
I just did the Baja Designs light bar kit on my 19 diesel yesterday afternoon. The brackets are impressive and catch the upper bumper lip and a lower mounting stud from the lower grill insert. Definitely a pain/annoying getting everything aligned and centered to match the width of the bar as well.

I chose the bigger ONX6+ since the output is similar to the XL80s I've run on my previous truck. I'll have to keep an eye on it, but the airflow to the CAC does pull from the airdam/bumper opening/and gap between the bumper and grill; so we shall see.

Nice! Yeah, I gave up when I noticed the integration wasn't for diesel applications. Bought the Baja Designs brackets and they should arrive today. Expensive little things, they cost $231. Because it involves two brackets, they charge you for each side.

RPS1030

Reaction score
Nice! Yeah, I gave up when I noticed the integration wasn't for diesel applications. Bought the Baja Designs brackets and they should arrive today. Expensive little things, they cost $231. Because it involves two brackets, they charge you for each side.

Nice.
Edges are SHARP, probably should have knocked them down with a flap disc real quick. But oh well, those sections of skin could have come off anyway :p
Start with the brackets snug so they can slide in the slotted holes.
1 of the bottom studs kept popping out of the slot in the grill/bumper when tightening things down.
Will have to pull the light bar back out to fully tighten the upper bolts since I couldn't get back to the bolts to finalize them with the bar back in.
Then should be able to get the bar slid back in and snug everything back up.

peewee86

Reaction score
I believe Baja Designs makes a well thought out product but it is at an entirely different price point than what I came up with. I have less than $50 into my whole light bar set up.

peewee86

Reaction score
A few posts back I mentioned that I was not entirely pleased with the light output I was seeing. Since that time I purchased a second 25 inch light bar. It is apparent that the first bar that I bought was grossly overestimated in its capability. It was listed as 240 Watts With a voltage rating of 10 to 30 V. Giving the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt, 240 W and 30 V should’ve resulted in a measured amperage of 8 A. I used a multimeter and was able to measure only a 1. 9 amp current draw. I contacted the seller and they refunded my money and allowed me to keep the light. They didn’t want it back. They didn’t even try to fight it so they must know they are exaggerating its capability.

The new 25 inch light bar that I purchased was also under $30 from eBay. It is rated at 120W. Of course now the first thing I did was measure it’s current draw and it uses 5.7amps. The new light bar is significantly brighter and is a 4D optical design. The original was a 6D. So much for the assumption that a higher number optical design would be better. The new light also has substantially thicker wiring for the pigtail.

I have tried taking photos to show the light output but it doesn’t seem like any pictures really turn out. Compared to low beams only the light bar adds a significant amount of light. I would say similar to what is added by turning on the highbeams. With the highbeams turned on the light bar adds a noticeable but not a huge amount of extra light.

Users who are viewing this thread